Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advice for starting Kingdom Come Deliverance

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just picked up KCD for free on the Epic Games Store. And no joke, I probably died about 8 or 9 times trying to get out of the tutorial village. Rushing to get on a horse, I pressed the button to try getting on the horse, and instead I inspect its stats and try to rename it while a bunch of enemy soldiers stab me to death. Next time I get on the horse and double tap B to gallop like the instructions say, but the horse just moseys along and I get killed. (Turns out you have to double tap and hold B to gallop.) So I try getting on the horse, and the quest instructions tell me to try to save the girl, so I try riding the horse in her direction, and I get mobbed and killed. So next time I just ignore the girl and whatever the quest says, get on the horse and ride towards the main quest marker, but I get killed in the five seconds it takes to turn the horse around. So next time, I just ride the horse into whatever direction it's facing (right through the enemy infantry) and then when I get a moment I turn around and go the right way, only to bleed out from the arrow.

Also, I can't pick a lock to save my life. Maybe it's just because I've never tried using a controller before, but the speed options for moving the cursor are apparently "doesn't move at all" and "moves way too fast."

Anyway, I just arrived at the next castle. What do you recommend so that I don't end up dying ten times the next time I see an enemy?

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Train with the captain a lot, get a good weapon.
I think lockpicking on controller is just fucked. Otherwise I've found focusing my sight at the way mechanism moves (instead of the circle) helps.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Enemies are pretty strong early on. You are still in the tutorial so to say.
It's a given that your character sucks now.

After you completed the tutorial you should train with Captain Bernard.
Lockpicking is easy with mouse. Maybe you should reconsider using one.

At the start the miller quests are pretty easy and give you a lot of money which you can spend on a better weapon and armor.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Maces are best. Use the free training with the captain to rank up.

You can win any melee fight by grappling with your opponent (walk into them, then mash the use key), this will shove them off and you get a free hit on the back of their head. It's stupidly easy if you do this.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I'll be training with the captain (and grappling and working for the miller). I would try using a mouse & keyboard (I always have in the past) but now I'm telling myself I'll only play while working out on the elliptical. The controller will be easier for that.

Paul_cz

Arcane
You can whistle to distract the cumans from attacking Theresa. Or you can bash them once with the sword and run away on the horse. But yes that assumes you know how to actually control the game.

Enable "simplified lockpicking" in the options menu. Still, first few levels lockpicking is harder on controller than with mouse. After first few levels it becomes easier and easier.

I would recommend playing with hardcore mode enabled because it is much more immersive and interesting experience, but seeing the struggles with controlling the horse, it is probably better to leave that off.

If you intend to play the game for real, get the DLCs. They add some great questlines and few new mechanics, game is poorer without them.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole. But I just don't get why people have such troubles sometimes.

Play through story- get to a dude who teaches advanced sword shit- learn counterattacking after perfect block from him- now you win every fight with one button, congrats.

deuxhero

Arcane
You can also shoot the turks with a bow if you stole one during the early stages. Speaking of bows, if you can keep track of the center of your screen (or are willing to use a mod to keep the crosshair active when a bow is drawn), abuse archery contests to now only get good money early but also slowly level up your bow skill. Open fights with a bow whenever possible and shoot forest animals with one whenever you find one (For some reason, it's only a crime to harvest the animals you killed and shooting them is fair game). Being good with a bow can skip a lot of tedious combat once you get to hunting bows.

Edit:

Always haggle. The only downside is trivial to avoid with the final offer perk (if it shows up as used, just accept the opposing offer or go just under), and it nets you both speech XP (the only real recurring source of it) and lots of money. I shouldn't have to mention this, but according to the Steam achievements I do (fewer people have the used haggle a lot one than reading a bunch of books, and that requires being a lot further into the game).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom