Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lmao people still defending Prime Junta's deliberate lies and shilling, not to mention he was also begging people in DMs to stop posting about problems with the game. All because he hoped that hot redhead dev would notice him.

The first day can actually be played really different,

Wake up, get dressed, go down to the bar, go investigate the corpse.

Completely different playthroughs, like there is no similarity at all that I could find.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Lmao people still defending Prime Junta's deliberate lies and shilling

Well you're being deliberately misleading with your shilling-against crusade so not sure why you're throwing stones from inside that glass house. At least he's talking about something that interests him. IMO, hate posting over and over in a thread about a game you don't like is some weird shit.

Viata

Arcane
You can skip the get dressed part, btw.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lmao people still defending Prime Junta's deliberate lies and shilling, not to mention he was also begging people in DMs to stop posting about problems with the game. All because he hoped that hot redhead dev would notice him.

Completely different playthroughs, like there is no similarity at all that I could find.

Wake up, don't dress yourself, don't even look in the mirror, go down to the bar, investigate the corpse.
Wake up, get dressed, look in the mirror, go down to the bar, spend most of the day trying to get past Measurehead so you can interview Evrart.
Wake up, get dressed, go to the dock to talk to Joyce, then go to the cursed commercial area and investigate the back room.

Plenty of ways to spend the first day.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lmao people still defending Prime Junta's deliberate lies and shilling

Well you're being deliberately misleading with your shilling-against crusade so not sure why you're throwing stones from inside that glass house. At least he's talking about something that interests him. IMO, hate posting over and over in a thread about a game you don't like is some weird shit.

Saying "the game is good but short and overpriced" is a hate crusade. Cool. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have pink hair?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Wake up, don't dress yourself, don't even look in the mirror, go down to the bar, investigate the corpse.
Wake up, get dressed, look in the mirror, go down to the bar, spend most of the day trying to get past Measurehead so you can interview Evrart.
Wake up, get dressed, go to the dock to talk to Joyce, then go to the cursed commercial area and investigate the back room.

Plenty of ways to spend the first day.

So the prologue offers no variety at all, but I can always pretend the game is varied by doing stuff that makes no sense whatsoever plot or gameplay wise.

That's like saying Mario can be played differently because you can always try running left.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Very informative catfight, thanks to everyone involved. Despite all the noise I see a consensus here on the game being good but short (for an rpg), and not replayable. Well, still sounds tempting to me, in fact these days I'd rather play a shorter game with zero filler.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sure, and 2 ways of finishing a level is a good example of real variety. Running left is not. If you run left in Mario, you're not playing it differently, you're simply playing like you're retarded.

Heck, I'm bored so let's break all this down with my usual impeccable and flawless logic:

To access different playthroughs that supposedly exist, I apparently have follow these steps:

1. Ignore all of the story and roleplaying (but Discocucks insist this is an RPG)
2. I have to travel half up the map until I reach butt-end of nowhere, even though it makes no larping sense (but it's an RPG, I swear)
3. Talk to a dude that I shouldn't even know exists because I'm supposed to be roleplaying a fucking amnesiac.

So basically Disco Elysium is an non-linear RPG, you just have to roleplay that you're a guy who is playing a nonlinear RPG.

It might because I'm on this hate crusade. But it seems there are certain inconsistencies in this picture.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It took me 17 hours. The big point is that there's no replayability. Remember when Prime Junta was telling us how he replayed the first day 5 times and it was different each time? Yeah, that was what lying looks like.
I mean you're right about the game and its lack of replay ability, but I disagree with your point against Junta. The first day can actually be played really different, it's the subsequent days that become super narrow and everything starts to be generally the same.
Yes, Disco Elysium is fairly non-linear --- prior to the highly linear "Tribunal" and ending stage --- with much of the content already available on Day 1 and another large chunk becoming available on Day 3 when the bridge becomes passable. However, the most generous interpretation of Prime Junta's pre-release ravings about the game is that he allowed himself to be suckered into believing that the amount of content available on Day 1 was indicative of the amount that would be added on every subsequent day. The reality is that 4 days of game-time is sufficient to advance far enough into the main plot to trigger the "Tribunal" scene (and therefore the ending stage) while reaching nearly all possible content. Moreover, the game's initial character customization of attributes, character progression of skill advances, and the much-vaunted thought cabinet chiefly exist to offer differ flavor text rather than as substantive, meaningful choices.

6xxarQb.jpg

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur

If you skip corpse investigation you can bypass a lot of thing just talking with Hardies the following day, you will have more difficult checks and Kim will comment you didn't even watched the corpse.

Very informative catfight, thanks to everyone involved. Despite all the noise I see a consensus here on the game being good but short (for an rpg), and not replayable. Well, still sounds tempting to me, in fact these days I'd rather play a shorter game with zero filler.

It is a little replayable but doesn't give enough satisfaction because railroading and lack of true alternate paths.

You know it's a good game when the best critique butthurt codexians can come up with, is the game not fitting their subjective definition of what RPG is and should be.

Lots of people here actually think that good story, interesting setting, well written characters and high reactivity to player's action don't add up into a good game, because devs didn't shove in junky and outdated combat mechanics that wouldn't fit game at all (like Stygian did) and unnecessary story branches just for the sake of it (like Tyranny did) into their game.

The only gripe I agree with is the fake skill check in 'confrontation'- it's misleading and unnecessary.

Game is a must play for those who enjoy a good story.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know it's a good game when the best critique butthurt codexians can come up with, is the game not fitting their subjective definition of what RPG is and should be.
It would definitely be a better RPG if you pressed AAADDD ten thousand times in a row watching numbers flash by telling you you killed another goblin, skeleton, unicorn, or vampire! Now that's what I call a REAL variety of gameplay!!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
3. Talk to a dude that I shouldn't even know exists because I'm supposed to be roleplaying a fucking amnesiac.

I talked to Evrart on the first day because I was told by Kim that interviewing him was part of the procedure.

Did Kim also tell you that your first priority as a detective is to completely ignore a hanging corpse, go half across town and spend half a day arguing with a bouncer until you can meet Everett?

Of course not, Kim would never be this unprofessional and careless about his duty. That was all you. Because you wanted a different run, but there isn't one. So in pursuing a different run, you end up making a meta-decsion over RP decision that actually makes sense.

I've been all there, I tried a lot of these so called playthroughs people recommend. But every time there was uncanny feeling of walls closing down and the awkwardness of having to go completely against the grain of gameplay and logic. Different playthroughs should unravel themselves naturally. Doing things 50x times over in different order and praying something new happens is not roleplaying anymore.

It's a one playthrough game, the idea of subsequent runs is all smoke and mirrors, they don't exist.

I talked to Evrart on the first day because I was told by Kim that interviewing him was part of the procedure.

Did Kim also tell you that your first priority as a detective is to completely ignore a hanging corpse, go half across town and spend half a day arguing with a bouncer until you can meet Everett?

Of course not, Kim would never be this unprofessional and careless about his duty. That was all you. Because you wanted a different run, but there isn't one. So in pursuing a different run, you end up making a meta-decsion over RP decision that actually makes sense.

I've been all there, I tried a lot of these so called playthroughs people recommend. But every time there was uncanny feeling of walls closing down and the awkwardness of having to go completely against the grain of gameplay and logic. Different playthroughs should unravel themselves naturally. Doing things 50x times over in different order and praying something new happens is not roleplaying anymore.

It's a one playthrough game, the idea of subsequent runs is all smoke and mirrors, they don't exist.
Your perception of what cops are supposed to be holding you back from trying different shit is not game's fault, believe it or not. I asked Kim how long it will take for corpse to completely turn to shit and he said 'couple of days', so I lurked around drinking, snorting, smoking, punching, being a complete degenerate before actually getting back to job.

It's not smoke and mirrors, it's you getting a perfect run as an upstanding cop and not wanting to play a less successful character or a complete asshole.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I asked Kim how long it will take for corpse to completely turn to shit and he said 'couple of days', so I lurked around drinking, snorting, smoking, punching, being a complete degenerate before actually getting back to job.

My god, you're right. How come I didn't think of this before.

It all makes perfect sense now: to access these different storylines that are on offer, all I have to do is not interact with the story at all.

:excellent:

Saduj

Arcane
Saying "the game is good but short and overpriced" is a hate crusade. Cool. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have pink hair?

Saying the game is 10 hours long, even as hyperbole, was an intentional attempt to mislead. It reminded me that you were crapping up this thread for a while but reading your posts again, it was mostly just playing grabass with Prime Junta. Lately, you do seem strangely invested in overstating the extent to which the game is on rails, as evidenced by your last few posts. "Oh well yeah well I was deceptive as to what you can do on the first day and you can do much more than I claimed but I've taken it upon myself to declare that only one course of action makes sense for role playing purposes and here's some irrelevant remark about Mario Brothers." Meanwhile, from the start the game, it hits you over the head with the fact that Harry is an out of control alcoholic in the midst of a breakdown and he's been acting like a raging lunatic for three days. The only way to role play that guy is to do what is expected? Give us a small break. Its a ludicrous argument and that you would try to use it to justify a false claim after it was called out reeks of desperation.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lately, you do seem strangely invested in overstating.

Lol nice projection bud. All I did, is I said the game is good but short and overpriced.

And apparently, even that is enough for Discocucks to explode in 50 pages of rage and fury. Your snowflake skins are so thin that your bowels probably fall out each time you take a dump. But I'm the one strangely invested. Good God.

Everything is a personal attack, the world is against you, evil people on the internet are running a 24/7 crusade against your favorite game, when the reality is I probably didn't post here since like November.

Get a grip.

Quillon

Arcane
Fun fact: the devs put a fridge in a nearby basement so you can dump the body in there to preserve it as a way of explicitly avoiding having to examine it on the first day.

Can you actually do it? And steal the boots in the process?

Quillon

Arcane
Fun fact: the devs put a fridge in a nearby basement so you can dump the body in there to preserve it as a way of explicitly avoiding having to examine it on the first day.

Can you actually do it? And steal the boots in the process?
I could only steal the boots when Kim is not nearby.
When is that? When I sent Kim to his room and went downstairs he already disappeared with the corpse, somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom