Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there a possibility the next stretch goal is multi-line and it's something like
New Race - Oread
Undine, Ifrit or Slyph

Oread is considered to be in the running for worst race in the game mechanically
reminder that pnp players before dlc said kinetic is trash class.
I would like to see the source for pnp players considering Oread to be the worst race in the game because it certainly isn't anywhere near as bad as some others such as Kobold or Gillman

I mean it has decent stats for a Wisdom caster who wants to spend some time hitting things in melee, and has Darkvision.

You know what has that exact statline, darkvision, a useful SLA, boost to a useful skill, better resistances, full speed, and a bonus to CMD? Oni-spawn Tiefling. Oread is strictly worse than something already in the game.

As for Kobold, Oread is indeed worse than Kobold. Their base is shittier, true, but Kobold has actually useful Kobold exclusive options. Nothing to the degree they got in 3.5, but useful.

Gillman's amphibious nature wouldn't work in a video game, but it's non-trivial to gain through other means. Its usefulness is restricted to water focused campaigns, but unlike Oread it has a purpose.

Oread is considered to be in the running for worst race in the game mechanically

Kineticist is a class with very serious problems, and it still is in Kingmaker. If you encounter an immunity (or heavy resistance), you're still plain old fucked before level 7 (The sisters largely avoid this by being able to swap). It's a good blaster when it works, but making it work is funky and it's totally lacking out of combat. Being in a video game does make it way easier to manage though.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I would like to see the source for pnp players considering Oread to be the worst race in the game because it certainly isn't anywhere near as bad as some others such as Kobold or Gillman

I mean it has decent stats for a Wisdom caster who wants to spend some time hitting things in melee, and has Darkvision.

You know what has that exact statline, darkvision, a useful SLA, boost to a useful skill, better resistances, full speed, and a bonus to CMD? Oni-spawn Tiefling. Oread is strictly worse than something already in the game.

That's fair but that point doesn't make Oread in the running to be the worst race in the game

deuxhero

Arcane

That's fair but that point doesn't make Oread in the running to be the worst race in the game

Since the SLA might as well not exist, they're strictly worse than something else. The only other case of that in the system I can think of is Drow to Drow Noble, that's supposed to be an NPC exclusive anyways.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oread is pretty cool actually
Yeah, it's the same as an earth genasi, which is what my Neverwinter Nights 2 character was anyway. That said, I googled grippli and I hope it's that, because I'd rather play as some stupid Kermit the Frog character.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Everybody's talking about how they're useless because they don't offer anything unique or what they offer isn't that good but I think you guys are forgetting that you get to literally be a person made out of rocks. Sounds great to me. Damn meta gamers...

Yosharian

Arcane
Everybody's talking about how they're useless because they don't offer anything unique or what they offer isn't that good but I think you guys are forgetting that you get to literally be a person made out of rocks. Sounds great to me. Damn meta gamers...

I took a pass at the race for my homebrew, this is what I came up with (this is just the parts I changed)

Oread
-=-=-
* Ability Score Modifiers: Oreads are strong, solid, stable, and stoic. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, +1 Constitution, and –2 Charisma.
-=-=-
* Speed (Slow and Steady): Oreads have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
-=-=-
* Earth Affinity: Oread sorcerers with the elemental (earth) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. Oread clerics with the Earth domain treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for the Channel Energy ability, and also use their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level.
-=-=-
* Granite Skin: Rocky growths cover the skin of oreads with this racial trait. They gain a +1 increase to their existing natural armor bonus. This racial trait is now part of the Oread's base traits.

Also in my PnP games, Barbarians who have Slow and Steady get to apply Fast Movement while in Heavy Armor.

I agree that it's a pretty neat race aside from the mechanics though

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are rumors that Owlcat will use 3D portrait (like in Queen Wish) to simulate the transforming into Mythics part instead of painted picture like PfK.

Can you have a confirmation on next stream or something Pink Eye ?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are rumors that Owlcat will use 3D portrait (like in Queen Wish) to simulate the transforming into Mythics part instead of painted picture like PfK.

Hopefully that means races will have more than 3 face presets.

Infact more art assets in general would be great.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Are you asking me to transcribe the next stream? If so, I wouldn't mind doing that. But it depends on how much information is in the stream. I tend to lose focus and get distracted when doing those 1-2 hour long streams.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Are you asking me to transcribe the next stream? If so, I wouldn't mind doing that. But it depends on how much information is in the stream. I tend to lose focus and get distracted when doing those 1-2 hour long streams.

Don't people usually ask question on stream through chat? I was meaning to ask you whether you can ask question to the devs on stream.

Its... actually not that good. Just look at Queen Wish portrait.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Don't people usually ask question on stream through chat? I was meaning to ask you whether you can ask question to the devs on stream.

Its... actually not that good. Just look at Queen Wish portrait.
Oh. I don't know. I may forget and accidentally ask about monks.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So much degeneracy in this thread lately. I will just play as human warpriest. But i guess i will need at least few levels in inquisition path...

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also instead of "crusade" they should name it "jihad" and saudi prince would just throw few millions dollars to support their kickstarter. And maybe Ramzan too.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if there's any chance of getting the Bladebound archetype this time. I remember them considering it for Kingmaker but ultimately abandoning it because it would've been too much work for a single archetype that a lot of people wouldn't use.

Unfortunately, Bladebound is one of those many things that's fine in normal play but sucks horribly in Mythic. It gives a weapon that scales by class level that's slightly behind the curve but means you can buy other things with your money (generally better than typical defense). With Mythic however, your wealth is expected to be based on class level+tier so now Bladebound is far behind in power.

As for the plot of an intelligent item, I say the best way to do it would without locking the player out of substantial content be to have a Companion Bladebound Magus and make it so both the player's blade and the companion's are spawned from the same source and "resonate" somehow and share a single personality when nearby. This allows the blade to comment on events and have a quest associated with it without making it locked to a single archetype.

I was thinking they could just add a sentient weapon that any class could use but that the Bladebound gets automatically while the other classes have to find it via a quest or something. There'd have to be a few tweaks in the mechanics and writing for the Bladebound vs other classes but overall 95% of the content could be recyclable between them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I was expecting this. Can you imagine doing at least 3 versions of each portrait for all the 9 mythic paths? Insanity. 27 versions of 1 portrait. I won't blame them for going 3D portraits. 2D portraits could be a DLC at one point if it's financially justifiable and I won't be mad tbh.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I was expecting this. Can you imagine doing at least 3 versions of each portrait for all the 9 mythic paths? Insanity. 27 versions of 1 portrait. I won't blame them for going 3D portraits. 2D portraits could be a DLC at one point if it's financially justifiable and I won't be mad tbh.

Yeah I understand that it might be a lot of work. On the other hand might as well not have a transforming portrait at all. These 3D portrait are always of questionable quality and have cheap feels to them. You can make the paper doll transform or something.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Portrait mods are one of the earliest mods released - as a company, I wouldn't allocate too many resourced on portraits. Three seem fine.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Portrait mods are one of the earliest mods released - as a company, I wouldn't allocate too many resourced on portraits. Three seem fine.

I was referring to the character model presets. If they are indeed using 3d portraits, then the model presets will be more relevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom