Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some parts of it are good but the extra content from level 10+ was a buggy mess. Also when you do the moathouse or whatever at the start of the game, if you leave with all the gear your hoarded and injured from all the battles, you get ambushed as soon as you leave which is a new encounter. It was a stupid location to ambush because the resting spot is behind the ambush, and you are so encumbered from all the junk.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I was talking about standard Co8 patch (without new content) to stay as close to the original experience as possible, but minus some seriously aggravating shit.
As for the new content, some parts are good (like Hickory branch or the final battle in Hommlet), some less so (Verbobonc mostly). I don't remember if the moathouse ambush is part of the new content or if it's also featured in standard Co8. It's a pushover encounter anyway.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is only a pushover if you rested and aren't encumbered. But resting indoors causes endless trash fights to spawn on you, and leaving after doing the whole moathouse should mean you gathered up every bit of loot. So it punishes you for playing smart, which is dumb. All they needed to do was put it further down the path or an even when you leave. Then you could leave the mouthouse, rest in the tower, and then fight when you leave. Encumbrance would still be a problem but that doesn't really matter if you are rested.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It is only a pushover if you rested and aren't encumbered. But resting indoors causes endless trash fights to spawn on you, and leaving after doing the whole moathouse should mean you gathered up every bit of loot. So it punishes you for playing smart, which is dumb. All they needed to do was put it further down the path or an even when you leave. Then you could leave the mouthouse, rest in the tower, and then fight when you leave. Encumbrance would still be a problem but that doesn't really matter if you are rested.

Seems like ambushing party that is tired and encumbered is a good idea. The ambushers obviously know what they're doing. Games should have more encounters like this.

Max Damage

Savant
If you managed to defeat Llareth and his goons, pretty sure you can rest in that same room, no need to backtrack to tower, nothing can stop you in Moathouse anymore. Either way, the ambush outside doesn't even require you to spend 2 levels worth of spells and HP, it's about as tough as Llareth or less. I don't see why is it absolutely fine to rest before Llareth, but not after, not the first rest you'll take in the game, and far from last. May as well complain about how "unfair" temple's tower is (which is much tougher if you go there first place), or how hard it is if you agree to be taken to Hedrack blindfolded. If you don't have spare spells/scrolls/pots left, the blame's fully on you. Also, why would you gather ALL of the loot? You do realize those leather armors and weapons don't sell for much?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You don't have to rest before Llareth, you can just leave and rest in the tower. And resting in the tower is no problem anyway because you aren't spent from any big battles. And you also aren't encumbered yet. But having you fight the final boss and use up your spells, load up on loot, and then leave and do an ambush at that point, is dumb design. Dumb like you for defending it. And the temple isn't unfair because you can leave and rest any time you want and there is even a resting spot in there. Also at that point you have lots of consumables, unlike the moathouse which is early in the game. And yes junk loot doesn't sell for much but why would you not gather them? Even 20g is 20g you wouldn't otherwise have, especially at the start of the game. Again, you're dumb. Stop trying to defend something that is clearly wrong.

Max Damage

Savant
There's never shortage of consumables in ToEE, wizard can print scrolls from level 1, so can other casters with Scribe Scroll feat. You iced the big bad of the dungeon, why wouldn't you rest? Even if you're encumbered, that only limits your move distance in combat (unless character is dwarf), and there's whole game after moathouse. I'm not defending anything, because the ambush isn't anything out of your league by that point, you have to intentionally fuck up to get defeated there. Only remotely scary enemy in the group is barbarian, everyone else is trash you've already beaten, no lizards or bugbears either. Also, stop hoarding shit above your encumbrance.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Killing the boss and then resting would be stupid and dangerous. Spent on spells and low on health and then rest when there is a free resting spot right outside? Duh. And encumbrance is a huge problem in combat especially when everyone is injured too and has no spells. And it is early in the game too. Hoarding shit above encumbrance is how you should play RPGs.

Max Damage

Savant
By this backwards reasoning every game is unfair when you refuse to adapt. This is early in the game, but you'll be lvl 3 minimum by the moment you finish moathouse, it's not that fucking dangerous. If you backtrack to tower, you won't get ambushed in first place, and being low on health and out of spells is your own fault. Play the game however you want, encumbered and w/o supplies, but what that has to do with you singling out that specific ambush? If you realize yourself encumbrance is bad, then how the fuck is that the way to play? Most RPGs not designed by Sawyer have penalty for encumbrance. Also, there're global map ambushes, do you just reload save if you don't get to inn/tower?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't fail to adapt, and I didn't say it was unfair. And it isn't my fault I was low on health and spells, I just finished the boss... And playing with encumbrance is how I did the entire game, I just went to sell before big battles. This was an exception because it happens without warning and at a stupid time which is my whole point.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Killing the boss and then resting would be stupid and dangerous. Spent on spells and low on health and then rest when there is a free resting spot right outside? Duh. And encumbrance is a huge problem in combat especially when everyone is injured too and has no spells. And it is early in the game too. Hoarding shit above encumbrance is how you should play RPGs.

Still, sounds like a perfect ambush scenario. Enemies should definately exploit your situation.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is a perfect ambush, but it wasn't well designed because modders are not as good as they think. And it didn't achieve anything other than make me go back inside, rest 50 times until I got one that let me rest, and dump all my loot and return later. In other words, it wasn't challenging, it was just a chore. They did some good ambushes at higher level, but unfortunately it was bugged to hell.

Citizen

Hey Lilura , since you're still around and I just finished replaying the whole BG saga (damn, ToB is a such a chore...) there's something I wanted to ask you. When you play, do you name your saves ? And, if so, do you have some sort of method regarding the naming ? Because I sure do (stuff like "dungeon", "explore", "town", "Level up"...), and I thought you might be one of the few posters methodic/autistic enough to do too.

Method to the madness is pretty :obviously:.

I start with meaningful names like "City Catacombs Exploration", "Bartender's Quest" and "Ogre Ambush", but 10-15 hours later they become more of a "LOOOL", "KILLEN' SUM SHIT" and "OMG WTF" variety

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm finally proven right about an issue that went on for several pages in the IWD thread, and...nobody has acknowledged it. :cry: Such an accomplishment (to show that your playstlye was so detailed, that you discovered something the entire grognard population missed for 18 years) to arrive at the forefront of fan-based conciousness, and...nothing. No debate, no discussion on the varied implementations of stealth throughout the IE games (I can tell you something about PST stealth as well) only a simply validation from the most prestigious IE blog on the net.

Well;- it will have to suffice. :incline:

I've taken the wrong route in life: I could have been an assassin, a politician, or a banker.:negative:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I didn't play IWD2 enough myself to notice any difference (but I noticed how certain melee enemies blindly went for my spell casters), but I will keep your findings in mind when I'm gonna play IWD2.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'm finally proven right about an issue that went on for several pages in the IWD thread, and...nobody has acknowledged it. :cry: Such an accomplishment (to show that your playstlye was so detailed, that you discovered something the entire grognard population missed for 18 years) to arrive at the forefront of fan-based conciousness, and...nothing. No debate, no discussion on the varied implementations of stealth throughout the IE games (I can tell you something about PST stealth as well) only a simply validation from the most prestigious IE blog on the net.
Kuddos for the dedication then, I've seen you go to hell and back to get your answer and that sure is something. As for the lack of discussion, sorry but I never, ever, use stealth in IE games (just the occasional invisibility potion/spell), or in any other D&D game for that matter.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stealth has been a bit iffy in most RPGs. The IE handled it relatively well, but off the top of my head:

BG1: It worked.
SOD: As per enemies in IWD: they could see you in stealth. But then if you broke their LOS (and re-entered stealth or used a invis potion) they tracked your party to wherever you were on the map. As per DA:O.
Bunch. Of. Cunts.
BG2: Issue when you got to max rank (255 was it?) there was that issue where you entered stealth, but enemies still tracked/surrounded you.
IWD1: Haven't played this in over ten years, (I'll have to double check this) but faintly remember and issue where my Ranger didn't remain in stealth out of combat.
IWD2: As mentioned.
PST: Little known fact; stealth in PST "worked" so well that you could stealth as a mage or a fighter. Because it seemed to be based on an enemies cone of vision - and not a radius. Dont know if this was a bug, or intended. I discovered it when I was grinding for XP in baator. If you are at 180 degrees / behind and enemy - they wont attack you. It isn't because they're in the middle of doing something else.

Anyway, if Sawyer did purposefully alter how stealth worked, it just proves how autistic he is. IWD2 was supposed to just be a money making title (if memory serves from interviews talking about the management) why would you alter something that essentially wasn't broken and worked the same for 10 iterations of the game?. I'm counting expansions and add-ons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom