Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Kim is the star because the protagonist wasn't an actual character but more of a reflection to the player.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Removes Kim from the game and the game stop being good for me, tbh. The best part is the dialogue between Kim and protagonist as they discuss every thing. If you didn't go to the fort singing as Kim pilots the boat, you missed the best moment in the game, imo.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DE without Kim:

fee2d820e6a97aaa2c3f2df701d52bbd.jpg

The more dangerous path you can thread on is the one where you think about...
a.) why you can relate with Harry
and
b.) why Kim's empathy towards Harry makes him so endearing for you

Is your character receiving the kind of acceptance and rapport that you long for?

vota DC

Augur
But Kim with a separate character sheet and his own checks would be even more interesting!

I think having an option to introduce yourself with the fake name your character made up, after failing skillcheck, to any NPC is way more impactful than an ability to pick color pallet in the ending sequence. To each their own thou.

JRpgs alternative endings are usually joke endings or game overs, and most JRpgs stories and characters are lame as fuck, due their love for protagonists with the depth of a dried up puddle.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JRpgs alternative endings are usually joke endings or game overs, and most JRpgs stories and characters are lame as fuck, due their love for protagonists with the depth of a dried up puddle.

Also JRPG endings aren't a natural consequence of your choices and actions throughout the game, but some hidden ending you have to reveal by doing some obscure barely hinted at shit at a very specific point of the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Also JRPG endings aren't a natural consequence of your choices and actions throughout the game, but some hidden ending you have to reveal by doing some obscure barely hinted at shit at a very specific point of the game.

See also - Witcher 3.

Vatnik Wumao

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

vota DC

Augur

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fun fact: the devs put a fridge in a nearby basement so you can dump the body in there to preserve it as a way of explicitly avoiding having to examine it on the first day.
That's what I've done to get the boots. As I've said, play it once and you will see practically everything. It's just amazing how overrated this game is, especially when you look at the Codex reaction to TToN :D.
I don't think comparing DE to TTON is very apt, other than at the most superficial "they both play through a lot of text" angle.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
For a game ostensibly about being a total failure, Disco Elysium sure makes it difficult to actually fail. The Baldur's Gate 3 gameplay reveal -- ironically a game involving an adventure as heroic as it gets -- showcases far more numerous and interesting failure states in an hour than Disco Elysium does throughout its roughly 30-hour game length.

This is because Disco Elysium barely contains any gameplay of significance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom