Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

RepHope

Savant
And even more. 2D animator job posting for a Unity engine game was just posted as well.

This is pretty interesting: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/2d-animator

"exaggerated limited 2D animation for stylized characters", "animation software Spine".

I guess they're finally making Adventure Time the RPG!

Or snatched the idea of Archer Protocol from MCA :cool:
are you sure they aren't just making a new south park game?
Obsidian isn’t going to be working on IPs they don’t own anymore. Now that MS owns them, any Obisidan game will probably be skipping PS, which is going to kill any contract work because no publisher is going to skip the largest console base. Also they don’t need to anymore, they’ve got the money now to make whatever they want, and MS is going to want new IPs that they own to be what Obsidian makes. Whether what they want to make is actually good is any entirely different argument.

Duraframe300

Arcane
In interviews they said Onyx was a huge pain in the ass to work with on South Park.
Really? I thought the things they struggled with were keeping the engine updated as well as the third-party tools they integrated into it. I guess it makes sense, with how Onyx was designed for third-person console RPGs, but I thought it was supposed to be a versatile engine or something.

That's what I'm remembering as well, the costs for maintaining the engine (and middleware license fees) weren't worth it anymore. Not that the engine itself was the problem.

Flou

Arbiter
In interviews they said Onyx was a huge pain in the ass to work with on South Park.
Really? I thought the things they struggled with were keeping the engine updated as well as the third-party tools they integrated into it. I guess it makes sense, with how Onyx was designed for third-person console RPGs, but I thought it was supposed to be a versatile engine or something.

That's what I'm remembering as well, the costs for maintaining the engine (and middleware license fees) weren't worth it anymore. Not that the engine itself was the problem.

Yep. That's how I remember it as well. Other thing they said was that most of the creators of the engine had moved on to different companies as well, so it was harder to work on the engine when those who initially wrote it were gone. The engine itself was never the problem.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Yep. That's how I remember it as well. Other thing they said was that most of the creators of the engine had moved on to different companies as well, so it was harder to work on the engine when those who initially wrote it were gone. The engine itself was never the problem.

Not to mention a lot of their current tools originated with Onyx IIRC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I was saying is that the engine was a problem for South Park specifically. There was an interview about it, I can't recall where.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, Dan Maas went from production director on unannounced to Acting Executive Producer, The Outer Worlds.

Cancellation? Another hint at Outer Worlds as a franchise? Temporary crisis management because Outer Worlds post-launch is a mess? Tim Cain and Leonard jumping ship? Freeing up a role so Infinitron can finally join Obsidian? Find out next time!

Flou

Arbiter
So, Dan Maas went from production director on unannounced to Acting Executive Producer, The Outer Worlds.

Cancellation? Another hint at Outer Worlds as a franchise? Temporary crisis management because Outer Worlds post-launch is a mess? Tim Cain and Leonard jumping ship? Freeing up a role so Infinitron can finally join Obsidian? Find out next time!

Maybe he was the production director on the Outer Worlds DLC previously. Richard Taylor (now at Blizzard?) was the previous Executive Producer on the game. Outer Worlds will be a franchise, that is for sure. Either way, it is a promotion for Maas.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Maybe he was the production director on the Outer Worlds DLC previously. Richard Taylor (now at Blizzard?) was the previous Executive Producer on the game. Outer Worlds will be a franchise, that is for sure. Either way, it is a promotion for Maas.

Rich went to Blizzard? Uh, another Black Isle Vet gone. Source?

(Well, he was only 3-4 months at Black Isle, so not the realest vet, but regardless.)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

(Well, he was only 3-4 months at Black Isle, so not the realest vet, but regardless.)
From Sep 2018:
Indiana did lose its Lead Producer/Exec Producer (Rich Taylor) this month to Blizzard, however, he’s gone next week, I think. Rich's role wasn’t the same thing as Project Director, which is Tim Cain, though.

Duraframe300

Arcane

From Sep 2018:
Indiana did lose its Lead Producer/Exec Producer (Rich Taylor) this month to Blizzard, however, he’s gone next week, I think. Rich's role wasn’t the same thing as Project Director, which is Tim Cain, though.

I always forget those specifics. :salute::hug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png

deuxhero

Arcane
New recruitment open

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/design/combat-designer

"Identify and document gameplay systems and technology required to create fun combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person gunplay experience"

Outer Worlds 2?

Enemies react in pain or die when you shoot them instead of bullet sponging. Enemy guns don't work fine then turn to rust and rot the second they're dead. Guns feel different from each other. The player can move fast and the enemy doesn't hitscan instant hit you while running around quickly. The enemy is, to some degree, predictable (though not necessarily stupid). Guns keep the round in the chamber when reloading.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hmmm:

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/internships

Welcome to the Obsidian University Summer Internship Program!

Obsidian Entertainment is known around the world for the incredible stories we tell. We would love for you to join us in our latest adventure! For the first time Obsidian will be offering an official summer internship program. This summer you will go on a quest unlike anything you've experienced so far. We would love for you to become a part of the family that joined you on a post-apocalyptic trip through New Vegas, sailed with you chasing a god through the Deadfire Archipelago, and watched as you made your mark on Halcyon, a colony in way over their heads.

What should I expect from this opportunity?
  • Get paired with a mentor (or mentors) at the studio who will show you the ropes of how we make games here.
  • You will not be doing coffee runs. You will be creating content that has a good chance of making it into the title. You will be interacting with fans. You will be testing content and learning how to give good professional critiques and feedback. You will become part of the Obsidian culture for the duration of the program.
  • Get portfolio and work reviews to help you with your future in the industry.
  • Participate in organized lunches and socials with different developers at the studio and meet a wide variety of disciplines, personalities, and success stories.
  • Access to Obsidian University classes taught by Obsidian developers and any guest speakers that we invite during your internship.
F.A.Q.
When is the deadline to apply?
You must apply by Wednesday, March 25th to be considered.

What are the dates for the program?
The program starts on June 15th 2020 and goes until August 28th of 2020. (Dates may be subject to minor changes.)

I am not local, do I have a chance?
Obsidian will consider all candidates. However, Obsidian will not provide housing so you must find a way to stay in or near Irvine California for the duration of the internship.

Is it okay if I can't make it for the entire internship?
Unfortunately, due to the short nature and packed schedule of the program, we are not accepting anyone who is planning to join late, leave early, or take a large leave during the internship.

Is this a paid internship?
Yes. Also, if there is any sort of program that your university offers for you to earn credit off of this, we're happy to work with you and your school to make that happen.

Will I get any cool free stuff?
Oh, you will get free stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom