Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Azdul

Magister
It's pretty much guaranteed that they are accustomed to a standard of living that makes this kind of project very unlikely to work out as we would want it to.
A lot of work in current RPGs is spent on the things that are not necessary for modern Daggerfall - manually designed locations, scripted scenes, voice acting, custom animations, lip-syncing, pre-baked lightning, complicated manually scripted quests.
Things that are actually important for Daggerfall are easier than they were in 1996 - huge world without loading screens, realistic lightning and weather, realistic physics, procedurally generated scenery, AI that does not act stupid, keeping track of thousands of objects and NPCs with hundreds of skills.

If they will try to make traditional RPG they will fail.

But if they concentrate on things that made Daggerfall unique - randomly generated 3D roguelike that falls back on walls of text to tell deeper story or present more complicated situations - they may succeed.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just read some stuff that devs are thinking of having big armies travelling on country side, kingdom wars etc, basically stuff from like mount and blade or crusader kings, but in a typical RPG fashion.

Molina

Savant
Just read some stuff that devs are thinking of having big armies travelling on country side, kingdom wars etc, basically stuff from like mount and blade or crusader kings, but in a typical RPG fashion.
Kenshi 2 ?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The man, the legend himself, Julian Lafey, on making the most ambitious RPG to date.

uMFqCPz.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meh. i will believe all those words when they actually have something to show. hyping yourself to words like this begets disappointment. he can make a book about how awesome the game is for all i care, but if there are nothing more to show than those screencaps or whatever medium it is written for then you will not convince me.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
meh. i will believe all those words when they actually have something to show. hyping yourself to words like this begets disappointment. he can make a book about how awesome the game is for all i care, but if there are nothing more to show than those screencaps or whatever medium it is written for then you will not convince me.

Need a quote by Gaben here

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Got no time to watch a 3 hour interview. But I'm pretty sure one of the best coders wouldn't be wasting his time making video games.

Akshually, that's why he was -not- doing games for the past 20 years, he wants to do this now, because he wants to do new things never done before.

DOS

Novice
When will people ever learn?

It's like how people reacted with the The Outer Worlds. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky weren't going to revive the industry because of their knowledge in the craft - and certainly not because they were two of the seven pioneers in pre-Black Isle that assisted in making a classic. People think they can just lump veterans together and magic will automatically appear.

No, almost every single game that is considered a "masterpiece" is a product of circumstance. Timing, ambition, aggregated talent with unique skill-sets followed by congruence in relying on each other for their expertise, mostly great workplace morale and strong mettle to see things through to the end.

Julian LeFay is a brilliant designer and programmer - virtually a demi-god among The Selective 10x. But, it's going to take a generous amount of results for me to take his statements seriously no matter how ambitious and exciting they sound. Even if Ted is there, it means nothing if the aforementioned qualities aren't present.

Going by the title of the project and the latest teaser, I see a paper-dragon.

grimace

Arcane
Some new info

We are still nailing down the in-game look and feel, but it will not be pixel art or retro-looking

Here's where I see red flags.

Here's where I see Jeff Vogel place has face in his palms.

Looks a bit like a mobile or tablet game, built in Flash.

I look at the success of the Daggerfall Unity project and I see a path for Wayward Realms going forward.

A built in feature for fans to create art assets for the game.

See for example: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/13?tab=description

13-1566942836-1989061506.jpeg

My conclusion:

If Wayward Realms does not build a game around the feature of player created mods to modify the game then what is the point?

The art of the vanilla game should be functional and enough to get the job done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom