Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Current state of Arthur Dubois' getup:

5105BDA1C3C244F982DCC34C663DBB4E3FE75FB2

Been avoiding the city since the story hasn't taken me there yet, but I saw the smoke on the horizon so I rode into town to find a tailor and found even more garishly orange pants and an actual tie. I went with a longer green coat and the green tophat (Both hard to see in the dim light) because they felt acceptable 1899-disco.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Try Online, it's more fun than Story Mode. The "making your own fun" as you describe is through the roof there, and the several story missions there are are more open-ended "choose your approach" themselves.

It's even an RPG as you gain experience and level up! From what I've seen in Poker, players just blindly bet everything so you can rob them blind if you know how to play it.
I'm on the Online now, got real hooked on making a career as a trader, as I'm reading "The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt". :lol:

vota DC

Augur

Been avoiding the city since the story hasn't taken me there yet, but I saw the smoke on the horizon so I rode into town to find a tailor and found even more garishly orange pants and an actual tie. I went with a longer green coat and the green tophat (Both hard to see in the dim light) because they felt acceptable 1899-disco.

He must be related with Harrier Dubois!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

You look like a gay gunslinger, well done.

Interaction with other players online feels pretty limited. It's mostly free-for-all shoot'em up just for the heck of it or protecting your trader wagon. Rarely come across other types of freeroam rival missions and when you do they usually finish or bug out before you've even had a chance to look at the map.

hows the gunplay in this? I imagine it has to be good, but then, GTAV's was horrendous.
Haven't popped this many moles since ME2.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
i dont mind poptarding as long as the poptarding is done well. GTAV for example, is a horrendous game when it comes to combat. You can't really tell when you're being shot at or from what direction (shit sound design, almost as bad as a ubisoft game) none of the weapons feel very different from one another, shooting feels lifeless and unresponsive and so on.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Speaking from the PS4 version the popamoling is...passable at best? They've made basically no substantial improvements over its core mechanics in comparison to Red Dead Redemption (which in of itself is somewhat impressive). The guns feel suitably punchy, explosives have suitably meaty results, and melee finishers feel satisfyingly brutal, but the actual shooting feels slow and clunky (not helped by a lot of the guns requiring you to manually cycle a round or cock the hammer after firing) and aiming feels very floaty, which isn't helped by movement being sluggish and somewhat unresponsive. Deadeye feels less like an extra gimmick to the combat and more like an intentional crutch put in the game to compensate for its shitty aiming.

Last edited:
I'm playing RDR1 on PS Now, well, now, and I have to say I am not impressed at all. I feel that, regarding New Austin, Red Dead 2/Online did a much better job in representing the *uh*diversity of the landscape, design and graphics wise (that is a complaint about the style, not technology, mind you) which is pretty bland and same-y in RDR1. Also those locations are not utilized well in RDR1. I've just arrived to Nuevo Paraiso and I barely visited half of the locations I know from RDR2/Online's New Austin.

There is however one location in Hennigan's Stead, Pike Basin (that windy canyon looking like straight from FNV Honest Hearts) that R* liked so much, they actually put 3 main story missions there - in 1, 2 and Online. The Online one is of course the most fun because, lynch me for it for all I care: Red Dead Online itself is the most fun of them all. Same goes for Tumbleweed and Fort Mercer.

hows the gunplay in this? I imagine it has to be good, but then, GTAV's was horrendous.

It's ok, but where it really shines for me is once again Red Dead Online. It's much more "gamey" and intense, and you can't rely on "cheats" like time-stopping Dead Eye there. That, coupled with Ability Cards, results in a gameplay/gunplay that's way more fun than story mode ever is.

Dead Eye is still there, but instead of being an instawin button, it allows you to do other things, and only one of the cards lets you "mark" targets in a classical way. That's still in real time so it's way more engaging, and that's not even counting the PvP, which is entirely different beast on its own.

Well, at least in PC Story Mode they added the LeMat Revolver, the best and most :obviously: weapon humanity had ever made (9-shot revolver+shotgun in the same weapon), Confederate no less.

Sentinel

Arcane
RDR1 is probably one of the most overrated games ever made imo. Extreme pacing issues, empty open world, boring protagonist, missions suffer from extreme case of literal pop-a-mole, John controls like a fucking tank, hunting sucks, duel system is shit and doesnt even allow for simple 1 shot kills, all weapons feel the same, yada yada.

To answer the guy above, gunplay in RDR2 is utter shit, but not for the reasons most people describe.

The Wild West is a very particular and unique setting when it comes to gunplay. Though this has nothing to do with how the actual historical Wild West was, entertainers like Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill Cody, and other, and subsequently novelists and Hollywood have painted the now familiar picture with duels, and quick-drawing gunslingers that was later filled in by guys like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and everyone in between. THIS is what the expectation is for Wild West now, and this is what makes it so cool.

You can't just make a Wild West game or movie where every shoots rifles from cover, ala World War 1, and expect it to be good.

Well RDR2 managed to completely fuck this feeling up, at least on the PC, where I played it. They actually created something like 5 different ways to engage in gunplay, and not one of them is bearable.

- actual Quick-Draw mechanic - this one is meant to simulate quick-drawing in Westerns. The idea is, you hold down RMB to target someone, then hold down LMB to start a drawing meter. It fills up over 5 seconds or so, as your Arthur gets into a drawing pose and time gradually slows down more and more. At any time, after he starts, you can double click LMB to "quick-draw", which will draw your pistol into hip fire mode and let you Dead-Eye your opponents. Unfortunately, this mechanic is broken down beyond repair:
* It is extremely conditional - you have to be fairly close to the enemy, so you can target them, both you and the enemy have to be holstered and not attacking, they can't be trying to get away, etc. This severaly cuts down the times when you can use it (for example when enemies come firing at you, or start firing before you can complete this move)
* It doesn't really simulate quick drawing against an opponent - You can't really respond to the opponent, because most times if you wait till they draw, it's too late, and this mechanic doesn't work, so you have to essentially shoot them first with a few exeptions where they get into dueling pose themselves. But mostly it's no different than just coming up to someone and shooting them in the head, doesn't really feel satisfying at all.

- real time quick-drawing - this is where you hit Tab to pull the pistol out of the holster and then hit LMB to start shooting from the hip, while fanning the revolver with the off-hand, being able to shoot 6 shots very quickly. The problem with this one is lack of accuracy and control. The aiming reticle only shows up after you shoot the first shot (or wait for a long while), so the first shot is pretty much guaranteed to miss. After that you can start aiming, but being hip fire, the spread is huge, so you can often empty 6 shots neat somebody's head and have them get up and end your life while you reload. And if they are not right up in your face, forget it.

- pseudo quick-drawing - you can hit Tab to unholster the revolver, and then RMB to aim it. This actually lets you respond to others drawing, and have some decent success at headshots, as long as the enemy as stationary. But it is useless for situations where enemy is moving side to side, or on horseback. It's next to impossible to do headshots then, and bodyshots with revolvers aren't going to be near enough to end the fight. Moreover, this approach is kind of slow, and doesn't feel anything like the Westerns.

- cover-fire - typical to other shooters, this is the most effective way to fight, just take cover behind obstacles using Q, and pop out for rifle/revolver shots. Very effective, but again, that's just not how Westerns are meant to be played.

- Dead-Eye - aka Cheatmod, just use middle mouse button while aiming to activate bullet-time. The most boring way to play the game, no challenge or fun whatsoever.

How a studio like Rockstar could've taken almost 10 years to make a game with their resources and come up with this carousel of shit is beyond my comprehension.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW, I'm lvl 50 in RDR Online, I kind of ran out of interesting stuff to do, and I have no posse. My colleagues who hooked me on starting RDR both played up to the end of the tutorial and then started coming up with excuses, pansies. No one to roleplay a bandit with.

Sentinel

Arcane
* It is extremely conditional - you have to be fairly close to the enemy, so you can target them, both you and the enemy have to be holstered and not attacking, they can't be trying to get away, etc. This severaly cuts down the times when you can use it (for example when enemies come firing at you, or start firing before you can complete this move)
This is wrong. You can quick draw at any time. I don't know how you do it on PC, but on consoles you just fire without aiming first from a holstered position.
Didn't read the rest because you seem like a mongoloid tbh.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is wrong. You can quick draw at any time. I don't know how you do it on PC, but on consoles you just fire without aiming first from a holstered position.
Didn't read the rest because you seem like a mongoloid tbh.

Draw is defaulted to Tab on PC, though of course you can change it to anything. And yes it works for quick-draw, iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom