Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Inquisition Quest: Mysteries of Brocante

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
On Hiatus while we play: Escape From Ripag's Watch - A chaos Space Marine Quest

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

TdwbVQi.png

INQUISITION QUEST
ARC I: MYSTERIES OF BROCANTE

Part 1: Transmission

Your are awaken from your sleep by the beeping of your dataslate, signaling the arrival of a message of your Inquisitor.

Agent ...
[]Write-in: Your name (by default: Codex)

Assignment: Determine the origin of the Pelforth virus.

Area of Operation: Wahun agricole region

Assignment brief: The Pelforth virus has been spreading since the last few weeks in the Wahun city area. This area is vital for growing the crops that makes up the tithes Brocante pays to the Imperium.

Considering the virulence of the virus and how quickly it has been spreading, I suspect the work of the Great Enemy. Your goal is to determine if it is the case, so that appropriate measures may be taken. If that's not the case, still follow any lead that might indicate foul play by an enemy of the Imperium.

The Governor has authorized an aid convoy to resolve the situation before the start of the harvest in a 3 months. A place has been secured for you as a representative of the Department of Health & Mores, in charge of making a report on whether appropriate measures are taken. It should grant the access you need for your investigations. You can borrow two acolytes from Vince's team to help, they will be covered by your authorizations from the Dpt.

The Emperor Protects.

nSgbuRU.png

The message is short and to the point, a remnant of the time your master, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Sargent, had spent in the Imperial Guard before joining the holy Ordo.

Your Inquisitor and his large retinue had been in the city of Villeneuve, on the planet Brocante for a few weeks, tracking down and exterminating a Khornate death Cult. The investigation had been going well enough, but rooting the cultists from the exhausted mines doting the landscape around Villeneuve was a slow-going work. Sargent had decided he could send you on the other side of the planet to monitor a situation before before it deteriorated too much. It was a common occurrence with his retinue, dispatching teams when he had the spare manpower to keep an eye on possible threats and areas of interest.

It's the first time since joining his retinue that you were asked to lead a mission, but you had already served him with distinction so far, using the skills you acquired when you were:

[] The redeemer: Since you had been old enough to understand the Imperial Cult, you had been possessed a burning desire to scorch away the corruption hiding thorough the galaxy. Your tenure as a parish priest in the lower hive was cut short after you had riled a mob into a frenzy before leading them in a crusade to cleanse the underhive of the mutants and cultists hiding there. You had been expelled from the Ecclesiarchy after casting down a corrupt bishop, but that had not slowed your crusading, rather just pushed you on the fringes where Inquisitor Sarge had found you. You had been recruited (some would say leashed, the cowards!) for your ability to stir the demurest faithful into berserks ready to give their life for the Emperor and lead them against any abomination.

[] Spacer mole: you were a mid-level clerk on the Aurea Puer, a rogue trader ship, serving the officers. And you were an informant for Inquisitor Sargent, keeping him updated on the goings and doings of the infamous rogue trader Bryan Forga. After being exposed in an unfortunate accident implicating Countess Natasha's silverware and an enraged grox, you escaped the ship and joined the Inquisitor's retinue. You had then served him with your knowledge of paperwork (you were nicknamed Red-Tape Cutter for a reason, damn it!), Imperial procedure across the sector (ie which palms to grease) and cogitator access (authorized or not).

[] High-Hive socialite surgeon: You were a famous and successful surgeon, working on the nobles and elite of Hive Prosperium in a prestigious first tier hospital. You were doing many more plastic surgery than life-saving operations and spending most of your free time rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty. Until you spotted strange tattoos on some your patients, causing you to run for your life, pursued by the Chaos cult you had found, corrupt Arbites and an Ecclesiarchy mob. In the end, you found protection by helping the Inquisitor in charge of dismantling the cult and had continued to serve him, both as a surgeon and when talking to nobles was required.

[] Schola Progenium alumni: Scion of two dead heroes of the Imperium (or at least it's what the abbot told you...), you were raised and taught to be the best, as good in combat as any stormtrooper, loyal to the Imperium and disciplined as any commissar, eloquent as any Ministorum priest and as good investigator as any Arbite. This mission will be the first occasion where you could show your worth to the Inquisitor since joining his retinue 3 months ago and you won't let it pass!

===][===​

There will be some dice rolls, with different bonus depending on which agent and acolytes you choose, so that's why I tried to give enough details so that you can have an idea of which agent is good at what. You'll have the choice of two acolytes to take with you in the next update, you'll be able to shore up your deficiencies then.

Edit: Well, the dice rolls for investigation didn't last long, but I will keep them for combat or actions that carry a possibility of failure.

#########################################
################# =I= ##################

Protagonist: Baldassare Ulrick di Martinelli. The Twelfth. (shortened as Balda)

nBMAkck.jpg

Origin: Schola Progenium

################# =I= #################
ARC I: MYSTERIES OF BROCANTE
ARC II: CULTISTS OF BROCANTE

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I wait to see if I get a few more votes, I have a few pictures for the various character options:

For the redeemer, of course it's the titular character:

o8vVIXk.jpg

For the Schola Progenum alumni:

nBMAkck.jpg
(of course in that case it's closer to how the character is seeing himself, rather that what he actually looks like)

For the other two, I haven't found exactly what I wanted (there's not a lot of civilian concept arts for 40k), but here's the closest ones:

For the surgeon:

cEkie25.jpg
at first I wanted to use the portrait of a noble, but they're way too degenerate

And for the spacer:

SsbyV2F.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Oh hey, another 40k CYOA. Hopefully this one doesn't die out before a fitting conclusion to the story :P

baud

Arcane
Patron
BLxpuNL.jpg

Part 2: Warehouse 22

As you raise yourself from your bunk, you feel aches all over your left side, from that roll you did on yesterday's raid to avoid fire from one of the cultist. At least you killed three of them! Well, one was concussed from a grenade and the second nearly cut in half by autogun fire, so it was more of a coup-de-grâce but still! And you even waited for the end of the combat to puke this time! You don't really see what the rest of the team is complaining about. You quickly finish to put on your clothes, appropriate for an Administratum official, then you pick up your gun from under the pillow, putting in your holster before grabbing your long coat.

Then you left your appointed room in the upper floor of the safehouse, which is hidden in the dilapidated warehouse of a disused refinery. The refinery had been built on the edge of the city to refine the minerals extracted from the now exhausted mines around it, before they were shipped off-world to to the Forge and Hive-worlds of the sector. If you looked through the narrow windows, you would see the rusting and silent machinery towering above the warehouse and the cracked macadam of a road leading to the city. Even if the extraction of mineral and its refining had stopped in this area for decades, it had left its mark, with a darkened, barren soil and an air that still smelled of crushed rock, burned metal and used chemicals.

In the common room, a few acolytes are present, some eating the nutrient slop the locals call food and the others reviewing the results of their last intelligence run in the city. It isn't the only safehouse, the Inquisitor and his group are instead lodged in a much better appointed safehouse, in Hightown, where the mining magnates had built their not-so-humble abodes. Interrogator Vince is also there, waiting for you, holding a stack of official-looking papers.

"Balda, I would have liked to do a debrief of yesterday's raid, but we'll have to do without. Seemed it went well enough anyway.", he says as a manner of greeting.

"The emperor was with us, the cultists didn't expect us.", you answer, letting slide the use the shortened version of your name: that ship had sailed two months ago.

"Pol entering through the vents behind those sociopaths did help too", remarks Telemacus as he passes by you to get some recaff.

"That, and Bruno's autogun from what he told me." continues Vince. "So you've seen the orders from Bossman, right? Here's your travel papers, you'll have to add the acolytes you'll select on the third and fourth pages. Officially you're sent as an inspector detached from the Health & Mores department and the two others as your assistants."

"Thanks." Grabbing the papers, you ask "Any other information?"

"The convoy leaves at 11:00 at South Gate Station. You can choose two acolyte from those present here, except Herbert and Frank who have to follow up a lead in Oldtown. And Delos isn't well enough to move yet. Just don't forget that it's not a raid, it's an investigation. If all goes well and it's a false alert, you won't even have to use your precious gun."

"Hey, who do you think I am? It's not because I'm a crack shot with a gun that I can't do an investigation."

"Hear, hear, the new kid's putting on his big boy pants." interjects with a mocking tone Bruno, who had been following your discussion.

"We'll see. While you're there, see if you can recruit a long-term informant, at least to keep an eye on the situation?" continues Vince.

"What for? They're backcountry yokels of a backwater planet, they're not going to have anything informative to say." you answer with a scoff, needled by the mockeries of your senior colleagues.

"Whatever. Just don't forget you're carrying no Inquisitorial authority and that our presence on this planet isn't known to the public, so tread carefully. Contact us once you have something to report on."

As you gather your equipment for your mission, you think about which acolyte will accompany you: (chose two)

[] Bruno, an old soldier who's been all over the sector
[] Pol, a death world assassin
[] Clo, an Adepta Sororitas hospitalier
[] Electryos, a tech adept, detached from the Adeptus Mechanicus
[] Telemacus, an adept from the Officio Agricultae
[] Echec, a depressed sanctioned psyker
[] Alec, an hotshot ex-Arbite
[] Formose, a priest of the Ecclesiarchy

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Telemacus is an obvious choice, seeing as he is an agricultural expert and we are on an agri-world.
Alec, for a legal expert on the team.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Telemacus is an obvious choice, seeing as he is an agricultural expert and we are on an agri-world.
Alec, for a legal expert on the team.
Well, I had completely missed that when picking a division of the Administratum at random :|. But good catch!
Though for Alec, I was seeing the Arbites as more investigation and shooting gangers in the face than dealing with legalese, more Judge Dredd than anything else.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
baud, would a tech priest be an unusual sight on a Health and Mores inspection team?

No, he would just be explained as present for inspecting the content of cogitators for devious/licentious materials and checking if medical equipment is functioning correctly.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
baud I saw what you did there, calling a world Brocante :lol:

What's next Hive Levallois-Peret with a governor called Balkany, suspected of corruption? :smug:

Oh I know make his wife part of a genestealer cult!

Huh, I just chose brocante at random, there wasn't any intended reference to anything in particular (unlike Pelforth & Wahun, which aren't exactly subtle and a few others).

Also thanks for the votes, we'll go with Telemacus and Electryos. I'll try to finish the next update tomorrow or this week-end.

Last edited:
Watching this. Ahh, too late to vote. See ya next vote, then. Then again, the option which won is the one I would have voted in.

Brocante is a funny name to me. Broca = Drill in Portuguese, but here in Pará, being in/with Broca means you are hungry. So something Brocante would be something hunger-indulcing.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Watching this. Ahh, too late to vote. See ya next vote, then. Then again, the option which won is the one I would have voted in.

Brocante is a funny name to me. Broca = Drill in Portuguese, but here in Pará, being in/with Broca means you are hungry. So something Brocante would be something hunger-indulcing.

hunger-inducing would be quite ironic for an agri-world.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Svnv3et.png

Part 3: Destination Wahun

"I'll take Telemacus and Electryos." you answer.

"Not Clo? I would have though you'd take a trained medic to investigate a virus. Though I'm glad to have her close by next time we'll get in a fight with those damnable cultists." Vince remarks.

"Well, Telemacus is from the Officio Agricultae, so he might know a thing or two about agri-worlds and how they function. And I would prefer to be stalled by machines if I can help it."

"Fine. Bruno will drop you at the train station. And before you go, check with Clo, she'll fix you up with protective masks. Good luck on your mission."

"And may the Emperor watch over you."

---

You board a light ground car driven by Bruno, leaving the rusted expanse of the refinery for the streets of Villeneuve.

"We gotta have to avoid the Oldtown boulevard, there's a food riot there." Bruno states as he expertly drive the car around the traffic. "Stuck-up Arbites have blocked the road again. Jerks."

"Again? It must the third since we've been here." you say.

"Well most of the food produced is earmarked for the tithe and the rest might not be enough to last until the next harvest. If the Pelforth virus isn't contained, missing the harvest from the Wahun area will make the famine all but guaranteed." mentions Telemacus.

"The tithe is necessary for the efficient function of the other worlds of the sector." drones Electryos who had been following the conversation all the while fiddling with an old power cell.

"But if the planet producing it fall in anarchy, there won't be any future tithe. At least the governor has seen it and is taking steps to secure the next harvest in Wahun." answers Telemacus.

"Mhh. Those gilded ponces usually make everything worse, so I ain't sure it'd make things better." says Bruno, who's been on the bad end of a few fuck-ups from various higher-ups, so you can understand where he's coming from. "And those assholes are always the first rats in the escape boat when shit's hitting the fan."

"West Gate station is not an adequate choice for the departure of the convoy. Compared to West Industrial station, it adds up at least 3 hours of travel and assembly of personal suffers from its emplacement." Electryos notes.

"Well it's within spitting distance of Hightown, makes me think it's more of a show for the fops than anything useful." Bruno adds.

"The governor has to reassure those who control the infrastructure and services that everything is going to be fine. And if we can find where the virus is coming from, it will helps, at least." you conclude, hoping to finish the discussion on a more positive note.

---

The dingy habs of the periphery gradually cedes to better kept housing, as you get closer to the areas of the town which are still maintained in those times of turmoil. The architecture is mostly of Imperial style, heavy steel arch, skulls on every other window and more or less life-like statues of various saints and heroes of the planet and wider Imperium. The West Gate train station follows this style to a T and has been well-maintained, with the only sign of the recent changes on the planet being the fading marks of mining guilds, disappearing as their influence over the world fades. The rail network of Brocante had always been extensive, taking advantage of the easy access to abundant high-grade steel and skilled miners and navvies.

The train station is a hive of activity, with hundreds of soldiers, medics and support staff moving around in the apparent confusion of such situations. Most of them are here to board the relief train, which will be the first train to go to the Wahun area for weeks, the quarantine having closed all train lines. The soldiers wear the golden picks on the lapel of their pine green uniforms, sign of their appartenance to Villeneuve's first brigade, in theory the best PDF unit of the planet and under the direct authority of the Governor. They accompany the convoy to help enforce the quarantine, protect the healthcare workers and keep order once arrived to destination.

Grabbing your bags and saying a quick goodbye to Bruno, you find your way through the press of the crowd, using the pass given by Vince to clear a checkpoint and board the train. You quickly find the compartment which will house you for the next week until you arrive in Hubei, the biggest city of the Wahun area and focus of the efforts of the relief convoy. You look through the windows at the emptying platform as the workers and soldiers board the train, with a few people boarding the train at the last minute as it's about to start moving. Electryos makes a quick sweep of the compartment for any listening devices, it's not paranoia, just common sense.

---

"Balda, what's this Department of Health and Mores we're supposed to be working for?" ask Telemacus as the train leave the city and start moving across the empty mining pits and slag heaps that form most of the landscape.

"I've got a brief from Vince, I'll transmit it to you. But in short we can go and ask questions in most hospitals, dispensaries and public institutions, all for the 'spiritual and physical health of the workers of Brocante'. But we can't just shoot people in the face, we're limited to giving fines and writing them up, though. In the meantime, do you have any additional information on the Wahun area that might help us?"

"There's been a lack of infrastructure in those area since the start of the Imperial colonisation, with the agricole regions considered inferior to the mines which brought immense wealth and fulfilled the tithe. So the agriculture was barely mechanized, just enough to feed the planet, but it's changing with the new priorities of Brocante." explains Telemacus "But it's been a slow work, with most of the farthest villages still working the fields by hand. The mechanization process is slowed down by a lack of trained personal and reluctance from farmers to change century-old practices. Also the process would put a lot of farmers out of a job, aggravating the unemployment crisis."

"Mechanizing the agriculture will make the production more efficient and will require less workers. This outcome is positive and resisting change is irrational. Magos Peng Zhou, in charge of the program, is well-regarded in the field of technical agriculture and the flora of the Wahun region." adds Electryos.

"Anyway, it's one of those village where the mechanization had barely progressed that the virus first appeared. The lack of infrastructure means there's only the bare necessities in hospitals and dispensaries, so the virus spread quickly, until the quarantine efforts were started." continues Telemacus

"So we could go and take a look to the village where the virus first appeared. If the virus is Chaos-related, we might be able to find something there, perhaps traces of a ritual or remnants of corruption.", you say.

"The village should be uninhabited, all of those who weren't killed by the virus ran away to the closest towns, spreading by the same way the virus." Telemacus adds.

"Magos Peng Zhou is a Magos Biologis, even if he is not specialized in the study of virii, he might have knowledge to share with us." says Electryos.

"Yeah, if he accept to see us this year. The convoy will arrive Hubei, the biggest city of the Wahun area. The doctors of the Central Hospital could be another source of information. Where do we start?" continues Telemacus

First founded as an oversight board for all healthcare-related matters. A worker shortage six centuries earlier had made worker retainment a priority. The actual healthcare was done by the Board of Mining Ressources, the dept was established to make sure it was using its ressources efficiently. The decision to create an oversight agency instead of just giving more means to the BoMR stemmed from the political troubles between the Planetary Governor, the mining magnates and the Administratum adepts staffing the BoMR. At the time it was only called the Dept of Health.
This part of the job is to make sure the ressources are efficiently used, producing write-up on people and institution and advisories. A write-up from the Dept can make or break the carrer of any healthcare worker.

The Mores side is a more recent development, picked up from the Ecclesiarchy as part of an agreement to put an end to another period of political strife (this time between the sub-sector's Arch-Deacon and the local nobility). The Ecclesiarchy relinquished their responsibility of control of the mores to be allowed back on the planet. The then-governor gave those responsibilities to an existing agency to avoid having yet another institution in the fractious political landscape.
Is not concerned about worship, which remains a matter of the Ecclesiarchy, but control of the mores. It never had a lot of influence in the periphery, like the Wahun region, where their deputies are regarded with suspicion. Apparently there's always been ugly rumors flying about their deputies, like stealing babies, kidnapping, improper worship of the Emperor and so on, perhaps started by disgruntled priests.
Has very extensive powers to deal with deviant/licentious mores, but usually can avoid any mob vigilantism to occur. At most it can issue fines and community work.

Choose the first place where you'll go for your investigation.

[] Hubei Central Hospital, to ask the doctors about the virus.
[] Bio-magos Magos Zhou's lab, to ask if he knows anything.
[] Jianghu, the village where the virus first appeared.

Notes: I put the part on the Department of Health and Mores in a hidden lore dump instead of doing it in dialogue as I first intended, because it didn't brought much. But since it was already written, let's add it to the post.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
D: schedule an appointment with the Magos and visit the hospital in the meantime.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Unless there's a sudden upswing of votes for another option before tomorrow, I'll go with the write-in and start working on the update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom