Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Sykar

Arcane
The itemization and janky hit/click detection are pure cancer. Everything else feels like an uninspired mishmash of other games' mechanics. Even the "start as a fully equipped hero" intro is straight out of korean mmos. Maybe I'm burned out on the genre but playing this game just makes me want to try a different build in D2.

What the fuck are you talking about? This plays as smooth as D3 while looking and feeling much better. Where is hit/click detection "janky"? There are a few bugs/glitches when you are fighting down/upstairs and there was one flying type of enemy I could not properly click but those are exceptions not the rule. "Fully equipped hero" what? You have a left and right click attack and thats it. Once the tutorial is over you have one basic weapon with the correlating basic attack. How are you fully equipped and how does this relate to Korean MMOs?

Codex Year of the Donut
no idea why people want to play online so much
As someone who plays MMOs almost entirely by myself there are two major reasons.
One, I like the feeling of a world that has other players in it even if I don't want to actually interact with them.
Two, trading and actual economies. Offline games simply almost always fail at having an interesting economy and trading experience.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
As someone who plays MMOs almost entirely by myself there are two major reasons.
One, I like the feeling of a world that has other players in it even if I don't want to actually interact with them.
Don't tell us the 14000 hours you spent in WoW was alone. Now your miserable past is even more miserable. You should awaken to your anime isekai protagonist powers any second now.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't tell us the 14000 hours you spent in WoW was alone. Now your miserable past is even more miserable. You should awaken to your anime isekai protagonist powers any second now.
weeaboos are one of the lowest forms of life on earth, only slightly above journalists.

Sykar

Arcane
weeaboos are one of the lowest forms of life on earth, only slightly above journalists.
He is calling you a low life Sykar

He just does not want to admit that his favorite song is:

Where is hit/click detection "janky"?
rats, bats and other retarded critters

Only really had problems with bats. Even granting all those 3, all those together are not even 5% of all the mobs present so his generalization is still retarded.

abija

Prophet
Offline mode works fine, no idea why people want to play online so much. Many complained that D3 was online only, now they complain they cannot log in despite offline working fine. Smh
You can't play offline with friends.
And wtf logic, it's not the same people complaining and both sides have valid reasons to complain.

I am disappointed by the lack of skeletons and the pathetically small/weak number of zombies, but otherwise I've enjoyed it so far. Next I will be trying out melee.

I do have a question for anyone who's tried melee, is it better to be (in Diablo 2 terms) aiming for maxed out attack speed and life tap for survival, or just getting armour, health, and resistances as high as possible?

Sykar

Arcane
Offline mode works fine, no idea why people want to play online so much. Many complained that D3 was online only, now they complain they cannot log in despite offline working fine. Smh
You can't play offline with friends.
And wtf logic, it's not the same people complaining and both sides have valid reasons to complain.

There a quite a few things to criticize Wolcen for about but online/offline is the least of its worries. GD did not even have dedicated online mode and setting MP was always quite a hassle. As to whether it is the same crowd or not, from where I stand there is enough overlap that I can make that generalization. While not being able to play online is a bummer, you can still enjoy and experiment in single player and get some experience once online mode is fixed. It is not like the game is unplayable.

Codex Year of the Donut
played for like an hour, feels like another dark-fantasy left click simulator/loot collector.
if you're unhappy with the ten or so already available, give it a try I guess. meh.

Sykar

Arcane
Firstly: why should I play this when I own Grim Dawn?
Secondly: will the sequel to "Wolcen" be called "Ynceln"?

You can play both that is what I do. Wolcen combines the good elements of D3 with PoE without going overboard or becoming bloated like PoE or GD. Melee is also a more fun in Wolcen imo than in either of D3, PoE or GD. The only other game where I enjoyed melee was Sacred 1/2 and we all know how ... "good" Sacred 2 was. <.<

played for like an hour, feels like another dark-fantasy left click simulator/loot collector.
if you're unhappy with the ten or so already available, give it a try I guess. meh.

Um yeah, watching a few minutes of footage of YT would have revealed that much about the game. Left click wont get you far after early maps of act 1. Well maybe if you go arms master but that is an entirely different matter.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I do have a question for anyone who's tried melee, is it better to be (in Diablo 2 terms) aiming for maxed out attack speed and life tap for survival, or just getting armour, health, and resistances as high as possible?
It's ridiculously easy to do both, especially since the Siegebreaker branch is right next to the Alastor, which is just full of attack speed. I'm currently testing melee with attack speed and it's OK. I don't think Attack speed is all that good in this game tbh since I have yet to see it affect any skill or spell, and I've tried the bow, magic and now melee archetypes. It's decent for sword n board melee though since your per hit rage regen with 1h weapons is so shitty and you're constantly starved for rage.

As for what's best, idk. Everything seems viable, you just have to pick one or two things to be good at focus on them instead of trying to be mediocre at everything.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm still immensly enjoying the fuck out of this game.

Yes, it has nasty bugs, and yes the server debacle is laughable bad.
Those things could have been prevented with more testing and stress tests, before releaes, and the devs deserve the flack for it

BUT

the game itself is fucking fun and feels quite polished. Combat is fast, fluid and sounds amazing. They nailed the combat and feel of the game 100 % to the point of blowing any other game out of the water atm.

Things like skill balance, item balance and shit can be fixed with patches, is it perfect on release? No? does it matter all that much? eh. More content is coming for replay value and balance changes n shit.
I don't mind that the game is perhaps abit on the easier side, but people are exploiting crazy meta builds, so obviously things are gonna be easy if u do that.

try just picking some cool skills and passives and enjoy yourself without overthinking and meta-gaming right out the gate, u will find the game a joy.

It's ridiculously easy to do both, especially since the Siegebreaker branch is right next to the Alastor, which is just full of attack speed. I'm currently testing melee with attack speed and it's OK. I don't think Attack speed is all that good in this game tbh since I have yet to see it affect any skill or spell, and I've tried the bow, magic and now melee archetypes. It's decent for sword n board melee though since your per hit rage regen with 1h weapons is so shitty and you're constantly starved for rage.

As for what's best, idk. Everything seems viable, you just have to pick one or two things to be good at focus on them instead of trying to be mediocre at everything.

Thanks, I'll look into that area of the wheel as a starting point.

Honestly the builds I've tried so far I've actually found myself hitting all the major stuff I wanted with points to spare and I'm still at level 30-ish, though I'm sure at least in melee's case there's a lot of good stuff to dip into in the green trees once a main build is done; while doing a gun build I did note a lot of attack speed stuff that would be useful for melee.

abija

Prophet
No animation canceling, bugged or inconsistent queuing and click/action detection =>"combat is fast and fluid". Have some standards, 1 Perkel per forum is enough.

Perkel

Arcane
Game need some proper stat descriptions. Literally you can't find your own base attack speed only what bonus you have to it.

No animation canceling, bugged or inconsistent queuing and click/action detection =>"combat is fast and fluid". Have some standards, 1 Perkel per forum is enough.

POE has all of those and still is shit when it comes to combat. Which means you are retard.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
nWPbn7s.png

Jelly of my HP regen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom