Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What boggles the mind is that Ultima V already looked far better than Wasteland (in my opinion).

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm totally glad krome commissioned edwin montgomery for the music - i was waiting for a confirmation of that, and i'm glad to see it, but i still fuckin' wish they hired more competent 3D artists for the ingame graphical assets. good lord. i'll just stomach it when i play the remake so i can compare and contrast it to the original

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm kind of worried the display of your statistics and combat hud will be so damn small I'll be squinting on modern OS. The older games had a pretty big display for the words. I suppose there will be display options but will that make it any easier. Some of us are getting up in age and our eyes aren't like an eagle. Maybe Fargo is a penny pincher. The more I look closer at the art assets shown the more it looks like just cut/paste of some very low quality phone kiddy games on some spread out puke for the flat ground. Compared to say... FO1 & 2
play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

fallout2.jpg

Even their Wasteland 2 looks to have some effort put into NOT making the terrain so... so... uh... awful
2913846-w2_dc_11.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Small little deteails would help a lot here and again, the hud is relatively easy to read. But hey, maybe they're just putting out the proto-proto-alpha early to fool everyone. Maybe....

Thinking about the 90s on a console... I think that'd be more like Xcom on PC.

Weren't there some remakes of old games that didn't have tactical combat that ended up with it in a remake?

Last edited:

Ninten Akira

Barely Literate
Damn, you guys are being really harsh on a game that isn't even out yet! Graphics aren't everything, jeez. Take Earthbound for example, yes the graphics can be pretty poor in that game but it's still AMAZING and one of the best RPGs. Wasteland is still a great game to play and that's all that matters! I'm sure it will get plenty of updates and patches like Bard's Tale as well. For right now, I would relax and play the game before flying off the rails. The games is old, it's a remaster. They are trying to be faithful. The graphics aren't going to be hyper-realistic or anything like that. I never expected it too.

I too was skeptical at first, but I learned not to judge a book by the cover. As long as the gameplay is fun, that's all that should count. Games are for playing and having fun, there's no need to pick it all apart. They're also working on Wasteland 3 as well. It's not like they can allocate all their resources to the remaster.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Damn, you guys are being really harsh on a game that isn't even out yet! Graphics aren't everything, jeez. Take Earthbound for example, yes the graphics can be pretty poor in that game but it's still AMAZING and one of the best RPGs. Wasteland is still a great game to play and that's all that matters! I'm sure it will get plenty of updates and patches like Bard's Tale as well. For right now, I would relax and play the game before flying off the rails. The games is old, it's a remaster. They are trying to be faithful. The graphics aren't going to be hyper-realistic or anything like that. I never expected it too.

I too was skeptical at first, but I learned not to judge a book by the cover. As long as the gameplay is fun, that's all that should count. Games are for playing and having fun, there's no need to pick it all apart. They're also working on Wasteland 3 as well. It's not like they can allocate all their resources to the remaster.

Earthbound graphics are simplistic, but do not tire your eyes when you are looking at the graphics.
Wasteland original graphics are the same, the remaster though ?

It feels like everything is blurry and a variation of a green shade. It looks confusing when it is supposed to be prettier. It's like my eyes and brains need to sort what everything is supposed to be when looking at the screen, whereas it was instantly clear in the original Wasteland.

This is just looking at a screenshot. Imagine playing in such conditions. It's going to be more painful than the simplistic yet cristal clear interface we used to have.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Graphics in Earthbound is terrific.

JDR13

Arcane
I think it looks fine for a $15 remaster. It's kind of hard to tell though since they've shown so little actual gameplay thus far.

I'm kind of worried the display of your statistics and combat hud will be so damn small I'll be squinting on modern OS. The older games had a pretty big display for the words. I suppose there will be display options but will that make it any easier. Some of us are getting up in age and our eyes aren't like an eagle. Maybe Fargo is a penny pincher. The more I look closer at the art assets shown the more it looks like just cut/paste of some very low quality phone kiddy games on some spread out puke for the flat ground. Compared to say... FO1 & 2
play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

fallout2.jpg

Even their Wasteland 2 looks to have some effort put into NOT making the terrain so... so... uh... awful
2913846-w2_dc_11.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Small little deteails would help a lot here and again, the hud is relatively easy to read. But hey, maybe they're just putting out the proto-proto-alpha early to fool everyone. Maybe....
look how good fallout looks compared to wasteland 2...jesus..you would think fallout was the one released almost 20 years later..but no, wasteland 2 is nearly 20 years more recent and fallout looks way, way better. WTF.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah I am not sure what people were expecting. It actually looks way better than I thought they would make it. Its not like they said they were making a modern remake of the game. I just thought they were going to touch up the old graphics a little. I do agree this likely has almost no audience however.

Earthbound looks better than this does. Quite honestly if a Remastered version of Wasteland had sprite work on the level of Earthbound, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, or Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis (these are all games that released between '93 and '94) it'd look better than what they're doing with this.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So much stupidity in one post.

Damn, you guys are being really harsh on a game that isn't even out yet!

Oh no, you are so mean!!! The Codex is not harsh only on unreleased games, but on games that are not even in the concept stage yet. If you don't like that you can fuck off to RPGWatch.
Regardless, the graphics will not change when it's released. So it's completely irrelevant.

I'm sure it will get plenty of updates and patches like Bard's Tale as well.

I'm sure it won't. It's just a stupid attempt at a cashgrab. Even if it will get updates, they won't have an update to completely change the graphics.

They are trying to be faithful.

And they are failing. Looks nothing like the original.

I too was skeptical at first, but I learned not to judge a book by the cover.

Oh yes, you were skeptical at first but then you grew up. How about you kill yourself? There's nothing to judge here but the graphics since that's all we can get so far so those are judged. When the game is released everything can be judged.

Games are for playing and having fun, there's no need to pick it all apart.

Well, fuck me, you discovered the meaning behind games. Which means that no criticism is allowed ever, you should just enjoy everything for what it is. The true path to quality is to never ask for something better!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I should buy it (probably will but i hope i can find a discount) and play it beside each version (incluing c64, appleii). Now if i could just get a decent recorder for vid instead of using screenshots.

I really think BARDSTALE concept of a base to change out PCs would be great for OCD grinders rather than restart many new games. Yeah, im a tad ocd on alts ..... alt-ohlic i be.

Ninten Akira

Barely Literate

Oh no, you are so mean!!! The Codex is not harsh only on unreleased games, but on games that are not even in the concept stage yet. If you don't like that you can fuck off to RPGWatch.
Regardless, the graphics will not change when it's released. So it's completely irrelevant.

I'm sure it won't. It's just a stupid attempt at a cashgrab. Even if it will get updates, they won't have an update to completely change the graphics.

Oh yes, you were skeptical at first but then you grew up. How about you kill yourself? There's nothing to judge here but the graphics since that's all we can get so far so those are judged. When the game is released everything can be judged.

Well, fuck me, you discovered the meaning behind games. Which means that no criticism is allowed ever, you should just enjoy everything for what it is. The true path to quality is to never ask for something better!

Aw, did your daddy show you how to be be soooo edgy?

Ninten Akira

Barely Literate

Also, dude. Calm down. You felt the need to tear apart my post and send me a death threat. Get a life lmao. Telling people to kys because they disagree with you just means that you feel threatened by their opinion, either that or you're a troll. But still, get a life Chairdolf Sitler.

Don't judge how this Remaster looks because Wasteland still has good gameplay seems like a pretty weird stand to take as seemingly the only reason to get this as opposed to 2013 version is what they're doing with it visually. And at least from what they've shown so far visually it looks pretty terrible.

I'm not sure where the hyper-realism thing came from either. Don't think anyone even asked for that. I know I don't even want it to look realistic, I want the style of the original games portraits captured in the in-game world.

Saduj

Arcane
What will decide whether I keep or return this after buying is the quality of life improvements. If they are actually improvements, I'll be happy with the purchase.

As far as the art goes: The strength of the art in the original game was in the combat portraits. The original overhead view is dog shit and it was dog shit when it first came out. As someone else pointed out, Ultima V came out around the same time and looked way better in that regard. The new overhead view isn't great but it is an improvement. The new portraits are worse but keeping the old portraits with the new updates to the other visuals wouldn't have looked right. What they should have done is keep the original pixel art from the portraits and have new pixel art created for the overhead view.

Manisan

Novice
I like the graphics, remember me miniature dolls on tabletop rpg. I just miss darker collors, or darker lights.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone interested in this game? To me it looks like very juvenile edgy shit,not talking about the graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom