Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's the point of this game?
Same point as any freemium mmo/looter shooter, farm/truck sim, or monster hunter game.

More like the freemium mmo/shooter where you have to GRIND A LOT to buy basic stuff. There are no micro-transaction that is true. Oh and like real life US citizen you start your journey with DEBT!

It's mostly easy to make money in Animal Crossing though, the problem is getting good items to buy it with.

And it's not really debt if you can pay it off at any time...

Perkel

Arcane
There is no end-goal, similar to Sims or Harvest Moon. Simply looking around, mess with villagers, get money, build up your house/village, etc.

You are joking right ?

Here is complete list of things you can do in Animal Crossing based on 3DS New Leaf:

- bash some 6-8 rocks daily (yes real 24 hours) to find one or two expensive gems you can sell
- talk to 5-6 villagers to get 1-2 unique text messages daily and maybe one fetch quest (find me my pants !)
- check out what is in 10 slot store for furniture and 12-15 same tshirt/pants which are just recolors with different skin.
- shake trees for fruits to sell. After 2-3 weeks of real time days you ill have maybe 20-30 trees like that
- use money to buy stuff for village with choices like: one type of bench, one type of fountain, and other 5-8 things.
- catch randomly generated bugs and fish.
- Go to tropical island to play idiotic minigames for very small rewards
- visit your neightbour village via complcated multiplayer connection where you need to have friendscode and your friend specifically need to have open village barrier to visit it. Without any kind of chat lol.

AAAAnnnddd.

That is it.

All of those take around 10-15 minutes a day and nothing changes.
Yes really.

Sims 1 base compared to this is like comparing Crusader Kings 2 with all expansions to nokia snake.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I will forever remember when I played the shit off Animal Crossing for Nintendo DS.

I was single then. I had a female friend that visited my village, a long time ago. I kind of forgot about it by the time this story begins.

I was commuting, coming back home, after a long, productive, and quite taxing day. And there she was, one of the most beautiful women I saw in my life. And she was playing a Nintendo DS.
The sit next to her emptied. So I sat there, she smiled at me. I also smiled when I took the Nintendo DS out of my pocket. We both smiled, in a happy, commuting bliss.
I loaded Animal Crossing.

And there it was, in the sky.

I looked in horror at the horrible penis constellation I had created. I had called it Dickomeda. I became so pale. Clearly, she had to have seen it.
Whatever, I went on playing. Wait, who's that fox ? She's new in my village. Maybe she comes from the village of my friend who visited ?

"HELLO TAXALOT DO U SUK DICKKS, I LIKE SAYING DO U SUK DICCKKS. DO U SUK DICKKS ?"

I looked at her briefly. She frowned and exited the train.

I sighed.

Siveon

Bot
There is no end-goal, similar to Sims or Harvest Moon. Simply looking around, mess with villagers, get money, build up your house/village, etc.

You are joking right ?
No, cuz I was just making a basic comparison on a very small genre (in fact the only things I compared them to was the lack of an end-goal), and you probably shouldn't take it so literally?

Perkel

Arcane
oooopss. Looks like they remade game a lot. There is still 24h thing but game is massively expanded. That is just Part 1 of deep dive. Ankward.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You are joking right ?

Here is complete list of things you can do in Animal Crossing based on 3DS New Leaf:

- bash some 6-8 rocks daily (yes real 24 hours) to find one or two expensive gems you can sell
- talk to 5-6 villagers to get 1-2 unique text messages daily and maybe one fetch quest (find me my pants !)
- check out what is in 10 slot store for furniture and 12-15 same tshirt/pants which are just recolors with different skin.
- shake trees for fruits to sell. After 2-3 weeks of real time days you ill have maybe 20-30 trees like that
- use money to buy stuff for village with choices like: one type of bench, one type of fountain, and other 5-8 things.
- catch randomly generated bugs and fish.
- Go to tropical island to play idiotic minigames for very small rewards
- visit your neightbour village via complcated multiplayer connection where you need to have friendscode and your friend specifically need to have open village barrier to visit it. Without any kind of chat lol.

AAAAnnnddd.

That is it.

All of those take around 10-15 minutes a day and nothing changes.
Yes really.

Sims 1 base compared to this is like comparing Crusader Kings 2 with all expansions to nokia snake.
wait real time clock? wtf is this mobile game shit? harvest moon at least have in game clocks and all the progression are based on in game time plus there are tons of shit to do in harvest moon. min max-ing crops quality is hardcore stuff.

Siveon

Bot
wait real time clock? wtf is this mobile game shit? harvest moon at least have in game clocks and all the progression are based on in game time plus there are tons of shit to do in harvest moon. min max-ing crops quality is hardcore stuff.
Yeah one of Animal Crossing's gimmicks is that it uses the internal clock of every Nintendo console to follow reality in some sort of way. Seasons, holidays, and stores closes at night. Depending on the game different things can be done at night, though. You could just as easily change the time if you didn't want stores to be closed, though I don't think this new version on Switch is able to do that.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah imagine stardew valley or harvest moon when you have to wait real time 24 hours before next day arrives...

Perkel

Arcane
It is out for pirates lol.
The underclass of legit buyers need to wait for 20th...

Perkel

Arcane
and it works on emulators day 1. Though there are issues with sound and game tends to soft lock on creating new game. But you can either power through or use save file of someone to get past by opening. Devs apparently are working on fixes. As for performance 25-30fps in game on my ryzen3600.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't believe there are secret alternate ways to pay your debt

AATCxZAAATbR.jpg

Siveon

Bot
I'll never understanding how people choose these pairings that become popular.

Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal came out/was announced for the same day, the contrast of a kid-friendly wholesome game next to Doom rip and tear is humorous. Doomguy likes bunnies so you even got more leeway with that.

It's not rocket science.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom