Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex Kommunistic Kastle. Fortress. Dwarf Fortress.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
lLtAqSI.png
WE ARE GOING DOWN!!
If Grimwulf now decides to go on another year of vodka induced disappearance, I want to remember this as this LP's official ending. :obviously:

Don't mind me, I'll be over there knitting socks. Lizzurd seems to be in the market for a few pairs.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I do not know what happened to Aril Fishmenaces and caused all those wounds. Apparently, Aril was fighting something in unrevealed parts of the caverns. Combat log doesn't show me what happens there. By the time Aril engaged Lizzurd, the forgotten beast was already half-dead.

No reason to relax your buttcheecks just yet. Half-dead titan is still a titan. Besides, the sheer thought of what might be lurking below gives me the shivers. Aril eats trolls for breakfast, so what in holy fuck's name has happened down there..?
Baud came to kill us allresque KKK!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
P.s. Remember I am there to report, not to mess about and distract my more warlike comrades from their noble endeavor of hacking that beasto to pieces.

NOT MUCH I CAN CHANGE at this point. This part was the only time IN THIS WHOLE LP when I played the game sober. One would ask, wtf Grimwulf? What was Lizzurd doing down there? Couldn't you assign non-military dwarves to a burrow or smth? So that, you know, NOBODY GOT KILLED after you unsealed the caverns?

The answer is yes. But remember, I was sober. A sober man is not affected by paranoia - the ultimate protection against DF. If I was a bit more paranoid, I would foresee the beast coming to the fortress. I would know the Prolebashers are slow-ass incompetent bastards who need TWO FUCKING DAYS to gear up their arses.

And of course, my sober self does not remember stuff like "I want to stay behind" or "I don't want to be killed". Minor details, insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Don't mind me, I'll be over there knitting socks.

Sorry, Bubble. Your knitting career is over. Kalin, Azira and even Sukhavati assigned you to suffering duty. Ecum Fairrighteous temple ain't gonna build itself.

The single bronze right gauntlet subtracts somewhat from the kommissarkommander chic. :lol:

:what:

Holy shit, I accidentally equipped the wrong gauntlet. Well, "equipped". This menu only designates what should the military guys take from nearby storage/other dwarves. This bronze gauntlet is actually used by one of the monster hunters.

If Grimwulf was able to move around, I imagine he would start a fight with a monster hunter. GLORIOUS battle for the bronze gauntlet. Thankfully, Grimwulf is stuck in the barracks due to the sheer weight of his armor.

vazha

Arcane
So you sent us to almost certain doom and left your sorry ass, encased in golden armor behind in barracks? Some leader you are. Stalin, god bless his tortured Ossetian soul, would be right livid.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So you sent us to almost certain doom and left your sorry ass, encased in golden armor behind in barracks? Some leader you are.

How DARE you?! Ungrateful bastard! So THAT's what I get instead of "thank you for letting me put down the pick, metaphorically"

I TOLD YOU, I'll catch up! :argh: Eventually

Grimwulf will remember this.

Lizzurd

Cipher
Is something wrong with that gauntlet? I just want to remind you that it is not some kind of GAYTLET but a glorious piece of Grimwulf weaponry.
latest
His CLAW-YOUR-ASS gauntlet.

Lizzurd

Cipher
NOT MUCH I CAN CHANGE at this point. This part was the only time IN THIS WHOLE LP when I played the game sober. One would ask, wtf Grimwulf? What was Lizzurd doing down there? Couldn't you assign non-military dwarves to a burrow or smth? So that, you know, NOBODY GOT KILLED after you unsealed the caverns?

The answer is yes. But remember, I was sober. A sober man is not affected by paranoia - the ultimate protection against DF. If I was a bit more paranoid, I would foresee the beast coming to the fortress. I would know the Prolebashers are slow-ass incompetent bastards who need TWO FUCKING DAYS to gear up their arses.
That's what you get for hurring up Grimwulf
:prosper:

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Alright, people. He lied to us as he's obviously still drunk. Like, ofishualleh.

3JQ2n8l.png

More updates, I say!

Edit. Oh, and I've noticed that this's my message #69, because obviously without it it wasn't good enough.

Last edited:

hostergaard

Educated
Alright, all caught up and up to speed with the most recent posts and as a veteran (as much as you can be) DF player just gotta say; we are all fucked and Grimwulf you are god damn mad for playing the game this way (Its a lot of work just playing normally and do LP with it, but using player inputs!?! :salute:). I love it.

Now, seems like some havne't played DF, which is surprising, would think codex would be full of DF players, so I am gonna be spewing my toughs out and explain just how fucked we are.

We are all gonna die. And its not just the giant beast about to murder everything but everything else too. Where to begin? Lets take the forgotten beast. In terms of forgotten beasts its mid tier. These beasts are randomly generated, its body composition is somewhere in the mid range, where the lower tier are the blobs of flame, puke, snow and the like (flame sounds dangerous, but remember, their bodies are literally made of flame, one poke and they go pop, they usually die to some random cavern criter. They are glass cannons tough, as flame blobs can set stuff on fire and burn of the entire cavern and since dwarfs don't understand being on fire that well...) and the upper tiers are stuff like metal, ore and gems. Heaven forbit you have to fight one of those. Biological creatures are mid tier, they won't go down easily, but can be bought down like you would any large creature like an elephant. Spears. Lots of spears. Or shooting them trough fortifications carved in the cavern walls, which is the safest option.

For the power it have, it has the lower tier. Deadly blood is basically the safest one if properly managed. Especially if the syndrome it carries is more or less harmless. But if not properly managed or if the battle turns really bloody? Then it can turn really bad and it can be one of the hidden killers of a fort.

Let me give you a scenario: you kill a forgotten beast with deadly blood. Some dwarves get blood on them and there is pools of blood everywhere. At first you worry, what now? You are still new to dwarf fortress, you done a few forts so you know how to make a prober fort, but still, this is new. But nothing happens, and you breath a sigh of relief. Months pass. Years. Then one day you see some unhappy dwarves start popping up. At first you ignore it, nothing new, dwarves can get unhappy. But shit start to spread and soon everything is blinking. You decide to check it out and see to your horror that everyones feet are rotting away and they can't walk anywhere. And now their hands are rotting away! What the hell! You manage to get some of them dragged to the hospital and luckily you have a very good doctor from a migrant wave and he start fixing them up, some he saves, some dies before he can help them. But then, just as you think your doctor will save the fort his hands starts to rot. Confused you start trying to figure out what is happening and you notice they are all covered in blood. Deadly blood. Blood from the forgotten beast. What happened is that your military had decent armor and clothes so everything was protected from direct contact with the blood. So it did not harm them and they merrily went back to the fortress draggin the blood everywhere with them. No big whoop, as everyone is wearing shoes and so people walk around with blood on their shoes contaminating most of the fortress.

Years pass and clothes start to deteriorate and you have yet to set up a clothing industry and so one fatefull day the first shoe got too worn down and you have a dwarf walking around barefoot. Soon more dwarfs follow along as their shoes are no longer usable and they get in direct contact with the blood. And the blood causes the affected bodypart to rot away. And so the dwarf falls over and starts crawling in the blood getting it all over their hands and now they got no hands. Luckily, the syndrome rots the fat, so after the doctors have removed all the fat of the dwarf, he is effectively immune, but since they lost their hands and feet they are now basically worms and you are now the ruler of a fortress of worms slowly descending into madness. And that kids, is why I often include decontaminate campers in fort entrances. Luckily, its worst case scenario, at leas its not a deadly dust or heaven forbid a web spitter. Those are bad. Great for silk industry tough, if you manage to catch it.

Back to the current forgotten beast, its syndrome isn't too bad, and its body material mid tier, but its size? Well, you got a bit unlucky there, the sauropod is huge and DF is really takes things like body mass into account when calculating dammage and this beast can throw some weight behind its punches. Fun fact, its really hard to see actual creature sizes, there is no way to do so inside DF itself, its all relative. A kitten may be described as large, but its large compared to kittens. So there was and I think may still be this bug where due to how the game cycles and updates only dwarves born on specific dates actually grow in size when growing up. All the rest will stay the size of a baby even when full grown. This bug remained undiscovered for a very long time due to the fact that most forts don't last long enough for enough dwarves to be born and grow up (Only fortress dwarfs where affected, those from outside grows trough different mechanics) and secondly because there is no absolute size indicators in DF. Some guy discovered it accidentally cause he was looking into the how much blood each dwarf in his fortress contained and noticed that some had drastically less than others. This means that a lot of forts basically had puppy sized dwarves populating it.

For a well equipped squad of dwarves not too dangerous. But for our ragtag bunch? Deads are likely, even a total party wipe is possible. Given that its rather beaten up but random cave critters (sooner or later a forgotten beast will usually get killed by some cave critter, either by a lucky shot or trough sheer attrition) I think you stand a decent chance, but man is it a risky move. I am on the edge of the seat for the next update!

And that is just what I had to say about the forgotten beast. But oh man, all the rest of the fort and whats been happening. Let me just catch my breath here.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Grimwulf we will triumph great leader!

Arise!
All who refuse to be slaves!
Let our flesh and blood become our new Great Mountainhome!
As the Dwarf nation faces its greatest peril,
All forcefully expend their last cries.
Arise! Arise! Arise! Our hundred hearts beat as one, Brave the enemy's claws, March on!
Brave the enemy's fire, March on! March on! March on! On!

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
4th Granite, 127, Early Spring
The Mines, 19 levels below ground

sG7GS0v.png
*throws her body at Aril Fishmenaces, stabbing its leg like a feral feline*

nSyyvMB.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*attempts to bite Reinhardt*

sG7GS0v.png
NOOOO!! *flails her sword at Aril's "face", landing a solid hit with a pommel*

rwuJkRb.jpg

jUUDMXQ.png
*watches the battle from afar, hesitating*

061EwNk.png
Come on, grandpa! CHAAARGE!

jUUDMXQ.png
I, uh... I'll stay right here.

061EwNk.png
No, you won't!

jUUDMXQ.png
Look. *raises his pickaxe* This isn't good. Aril's blood is deadly.

061EwNk.png
Pffft. Bullshit.

jUUDMXQ.png
I'm telling you the truth, I swear! KOMRADES! USE YOUR POMMELS! DO NOT CUT ITS FLESH!

sG7GS0v.png
COULD USE SOME HELP HEEEERE!!!

qT4LDO9.png
CHAAAAARGE!! *attacks Arils head just as it attempts to bite Reinhardt*

JzVkjsN.jpg

qT4LDO9.png
sG7GS0v.png
*fight with all ferocity they have*

n5Al5J3.jpg

061EwNk.png
HEY! Do NOT cut this thing, Kalarion! *hesitates for a moment, then charges at Aril* RRREEEEEEEEE

n8rvffK.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*turns its gaze to Lagole Gon*

061EwNk.png
Oh shi--

lfKBIxo.jpg

061EwNk.png
Heh! Kiss my ass!

qT4LDO9.png
FLANK THIS THING, KOMRADES!

qT4LDO9.png
061EwNk.png
sG7GS0v.png
*surround Aril Fishmenaces from three sides*

glBd2OS.jpg

sG7GS0v.png
This one is FOR MY SON!!

Y6tYLye.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*moans horribly*

061EwNk.png
NO STABBING, you retard! Damn it, where is the hammerdwarf?! SPIGOOOOT!

KuUlcLF.png
*breathes heavily, standing some 10 meters away* I'm... Over here.

qT4LDO9.png
We KINDA NEED YOU, bro!

KuUlcLF.png
*takes another deep breath* Screw it. BRRRAAAA

q0Rn1Kd.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*tries to stomp Spigot, but is too slow and crippled*

sG7GS0v.png
Its front leg is fucked up! *mumbles* Now is my chance... *delivers a powerful STAB*

GdV5HYT.png
*exhales a nightmarish moan and falls down with a thundering sound*

hYzOHHL.jpg

061EwNk.png
Holy sh-- IT'S DOWN! PROLEBASHERS! BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THIS POSER!!

GdV5HYT.png
*still trying to bite someone to no avail*

pIi2qin.jpg

3xGOOtN.png
o44H4SR.png
XySctEP.png
oovs6Cs.png
jUUDMXQ.png
*watching from a distance*

3xGOOtN.png
M-maybe we should help?

jUUDMXQ.png
I would not. Aril is bleeding.

oovs6Cs.png
Givi's right. According to the legends, we'll be dead in no time if a single drop of blood contacts the skin.

o44H4SR.png
Hehehehe, I like to watch.

KuUlcLF.png
*swings his war hammer, screaming like a deranged bear*

6QxHTqD.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*blood gushing out from the artery*

38X3LIw.png
Ewwww! *tries to wipe the blood off Kalin's sock*

061EwNk.png
I TOLD you not to cut it, stupid bitch!

KuUlcLF.png
Well, what's the plan then?! You're going to what, wait until I bash it to death?!

GdV5HYT.png
*starts rising up from the ground*

qT4LDO9.png
*goes mental*

Jilx0Gp.jpg

o44H4SR.png
YES! BITE! BITE!!!

GdV5HYT.png
*shakes its body violently, falling on the ground again*

XnJvOv3.jpg

XySctEP.png
*CHARGES*

QiCy30y.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*moans in agony and frustration, completely surrounded by the Prolebashers*

CWcccAY.jpg

061EwNk.png
Okay, that was cool. But I can do even better. KISS OF DEATH!!! REEEEE!!!

eyemIxz.jpg

3xGOOtN.png
Bro. What the f-- *vomits*

GdV5HYT.png
*ROARS so loudly, the echo rumbles throughout Redlabored*

Ivg2PHK.jpg

Meanwhile in Sukhavati's Office

XHw0wrF.png
*tosses a small figurine of Shoduk*

PV80FJy.png
Sukhavati?

XHw0wrF.png
*lost in her own thoughts*

PV80FJy.png
Hello? Sukhavati!

XHw0wrF.png
*turns to Merc*

PV80FJy.png
As I was saying, this new three hundred bins order is simply un--

XHw0wrF.png
I fucking hate these people.

PV80FJy.png
... What?

XHw0wrF.png
I am not an engineer, Merc. I don't have any formal education, not even a mentor or anything. Learned the trade myself, from books and practice.

PV80FJy.png
Hrmpf. Okay. Are you sure you're alr--

XHw0wrF.png
Nobody here wants to improve. Nobody wants any progress. Half of Redlabored plays political games, while the other half is simply lazy.

PV80FJy.png
... Like in any other dwarf fortress..?

XHw0wrF.png
Do you know why I worship him? *raises Shoduk's figurine*

PV80FJy.png
Honestly, no. God of Depravity, Animals, and Plants?

XHw0wrF.png
In other words, God of Progress. There is a dormant beast inside each one of us. Whenever we suffer, feel pain, agony, rage - the beast awakens. This depraved beast is the one who changes us. Makes us better.

PV80FJy.png
Sorry, I don't follow. Why do you worship Shoduk exactly?

XHw0wrF.png
Because I fucking hate these people. *becomes more wrought-up with each word she says*

PV80FJy.png
... Look. How about we go to the tavern and-- *interrupted by a LOUD echo - a ROAR full of AGONY and RAGE*

Ivg2PHK.jpg

PV80FJy.png
What was THAT?!

XHw0wrF.png
*throws Shoduk's figurine at the wall* I FUCKING HATE THESE PEOPLE!!! *something deep inside Sukhavati breaks for good*

yQiRgbb.jpg

XHw0wrF.png
*pushes Merc aside and sprints towards mechanic's workshop*

Mbf7F5W.jpg

Meanwhile in the Mines, 19 levels below ground

qT4LDO9.png
*completely out of breath* How... is it not... dead..?

9mIHjnZ.jpg

GdV5HYT.png
*lies on the ground, twitching and moaning*

3xGOOtN.png
o44H4SR.png
jUUDMXQ.png
*still standing in the distance*

061EwNk.png
*sweating profusely* Where is Grimwulf?

XySctEP.png
Not here. Never is.

KuUlcLF.png
*BASHES Aril again and again*

sCCazWI.jpg

oovs6Cs.png
It's been more than a DAY! And this THING is still alive!! *hacks, kicks, and punches*

Taw2c74.jpg

qT4LDO9.png
DIE, YOU MONSTER! DIIIEEEE!!

2cARZqX.jpg

061EwNk.png
RRRRREEEEEE!!

U5qzS7I.jpg

061EwNk.png
*punches Aril like an anime hero*

KuUlcLF.png
Kid. Stop.

061EwNk.png
*keeps punching*

KuUlcLF.png
ENOUGH, I said!!

061EwNk.png
*catches breath*

KuUlcLF.png
It's dead. Aril fucking Fishmenaces is dead.

OWJxyf5.jpg

061EwNk.png
I... I killed it.

KuUlcLF.png
*grunts* Yeah, right. You killed it. Punched it to death.

061EwNk.png
No, really. I did.

2s07Qr2.jpg

KuUlcLF.png
Whatever, kid. Let's head back to the barracks, report to the boss. And have a fucking drink already.

0UY8kAw.png
*voice from the depth of tunnels* Halp? kek

Redlabored, Barracks
Later that day

8nNR5LU.jpg

lLtAqSI.png
*struggles to move, his whole body covered in sweat* Come ooooon!! Fffffffffff--

061EwNk.png
*enters the barracks*

lLtAqSI.png
Hrmpf. Back already?

061EwNk.png
It's been almost two days. Yes, Grimwulf. We're back.

3xGOOtN.png
o44H4SR.png
jUUDMXQ.png
KuUlcLF.png
XySctEP.png
*the others soon follow*

lLtAqSI.png
Did you slay the deer?

061EwNk.png
Deer? No. A legendary monster? Yes.

XySctEP.png
No thanks to you.

061EwNk.png
No thanks to any of you, posers! I did it!

lLtAqSI.png
I need a full report. NOW!

Wait, wot? DAS IT? DAS THE WHOLE UPDATAN??

Yes. I had a busy day, so that's what you get during busy days. NOT SO HAPPY WITH THE NEW FORMULA NOW, ARE YOU??

As for the aftermath of Aril's encounter. Nobody was wounded during the battle. Well, not counting Lizzurd. He decided to haul gold nuggets at the worst possible moment, that creepy son of a bitch, piece of

The battle lasted for more than a day. 57 pages of combat log.

kOdgMb5.jpg

Kalarion, Reinhardt, Spigot, and Stukos contributed the most. Their strikes did the most damage. Reinhardt and Kalarion were the first ones to engage Aril, which was surprisingly brave of them.

When the Prolebashers surrounded Aril, it was mostly focusing attention on Spigot. Thankfully, Aril was in a bad shape from the beginning, so it didn't land a single hit. In fact, Aril's near-death status was our salvation. If the forgotten beast wasn't injured, there is no telling how the battle would go. NOT GREAT, I'd wager. Whoever inflicted those initial wounds was the true hero. To be fair, Reinhardt's precise stab that felled the beast was also crucial since Aril never managed to stand up after that.

hYzOHHL.jpg

The kill went to Lagole Gon because technically he was the last one to land a hit.

Brother Frank, Storyfag, and Givi didn't participate in the battle at all. Normally I would wait for the whole squad to gather somewhere close to the target, and only then give an order to attack. In this situation, we couldn't waste any time - Lizzurd was trapped. The scaly fucker is the single cause of all Redlabored's problems.

One would think the battle was EASY. And the beast was no threat to begin with. How hard could it be to take down a "sauropod" of undetermined size? hostergaard was right on this one.

its really hard to see actual creature sizes, there is no way to do so inside DF itself, its all relative

There is one way to put it into scale. Just so we can all have an idea of what happened in the mines.

Unib. Remember Unib? Tobul's wife who fought alongside Baud against the weregecko? Her partial skeleton lies inside the tomb and weighs 13 urists.

uSXaFzY.jpg

Let's call it 13 kg because urists reperesent RL kg more or less accurately. Her actual corpse was weighing more than that, but it rotted away.

Gray langurs we fought on the surface not so long ago? Their rotten corpses are still out there. 22 kg each.

IQW56IF.jpg

What about the troll? Remember that yuge female troll who confronted Aril last Winter? Her corpse is HEAVY, men.

zRhbJvl.jpg

340 kg is no joke. The troll went down in moments after the battle began.

So how much does Aril's corpse weigh? Take a guess.

No, really. I want you to take a guess before you open the spoiler. I'm curious if anyone can get it close.

TAKE A FUCKING GUESS, I said! :argh:

nRJj3zW.jpg

And that's why it took so long for a whole squad to finish off a half-dead monster.

What else? I find it disturbing that Sukhavati entered a strange mood right at the moment when Aril became enraged. I noticed, coz I played the battle in turn-based mode.

UDCg9NN.jpg

It's almost as if they were connected somehow.

Reinhardt, son of Reinhardt, didn't feel anything after seeing the forgotten beast Aril Fishmenaces die.

dOKdC6v.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom