Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Urtuk: The Desolation - open-world dark fantasy turn-based RPG

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Thanks!
Good points! For sure, the game needs more explanation, I'll sure add it. Bounty hunters spawn rate was re-worked already (to soften it bit)..

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You can heal them by clicking on the dude in your roster and giving him a mission, there is find a cure for vampirisim/werebeast thingy. I think it costs money, haven't tried it myself.

Forgot about that, seven days though, it's tough early on when you rely on one guy to beat the crap out of the baddies.

Well, i don't feel like starting all over again, will probably wait for the full release now.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now I know why I didn't create medicine for a long time.

HQyW2s1.jpg

It's clear to me now that it can ONLY be purchased in Black Markets, nowhere else, but first time I read it I thought that it can only be purchased in the Black Market and there is no other way of getting it reliably.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
To go on with my feedback for that session.

There's also some changes that i liked, mostly the intro, it's nice.
The first escape mission is interesting too but it's way too easy compared to the rest of the game.
I wish it was a challenge and as a reward, we could hire the helping merc if we're able to save him.

Also, about siege weapons, i feel like the aoe is too big, i think it'd be a bit more "fair" if the aoe was just a triangle (3 tiles) and the aim was imprecise (like 40% to aim the right tile and 10% for each surrounding one)
It would be great if it worked more like in Warbanners, instead of a unit, it's a machine and whoever is near it can use it (but it only works once per turn) as long as no enemy is next to it so we can use it when waiting for bounty hunters.

As for the villages, i wish we didn't have to search them all but could get some hints elsewhere (maybe it's already there) to narrow the search.

Saying that, i usually play on the second difficulty, i'd probably play on the hardest one like during the early beta and all the negative mechanism pile up to make the journey a pain, maybe it's a new fad (managing bolivia economy in Battle brothers, juggling with wounds in Darkest Dungeons) and everyone loves it but me.
I like difficult tactical combat but not random penalties (vampirism, wherebest curse, random villages enalties, ... )

Just my two cents.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Man, what a great game. I really love the fights. Zero story shit, just plain addicting gameplay.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Looks pretty sweet, giving this a shot. Got some troubles with the interface (some of the buttons overlap each other)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Alright so I played it, burned 4h straight and I only stopped because of nonsensical life events, like the need for sleep. This is really quite good, looking very promising. I would advice that the thread be transferred to the tactics forum though, if you don't want to repeat the Battle Brothers fiasco where the Elex-fans or somesuch will come in and criticize your game got not allowing them exploration and interactive dialogs. This is definitively a tactics game and not a rpg. You do have a more extensive class system than BB, which I like. All the characters feel pretty unique so far. Really love the art style too

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Since everyone is jacking off to Balders Gate 3 (yawn, how fucking tedious), I'm going to bump this thread again ; this game deserves more recognition. If you like tactical games then you should be trying it out, no doubt. The battles can get really absurdly overwhelming very fast - if you like late-gate BB this will do it for you. The challenge is there, it's really quite some serious business, even on normal difficulty. It feels like a lot of thought was put into the game's dynamics, but I can see some of the generated scenarios providing impasses for players.

I'll admit though, a lot of the difficulty I've been feeling has been provided by the cultists which come after my relics - the game offers you the possibility to destroy the relic so that the cultists go away, which actually might be something you want to consider, because they don't fuck around. The game has this dynamic where it lulls you into a certain sense of security with certain fights which become manageable, but then you got things like fortress fights and other things that become quite a challenge.

This game is really about an endless strings of tactical fights though, don't really go in expecting anything else. The battle scenarios could probably be a bit more varied, and better rewards sometimes because the risk-reward ratio of some scenarios seem a bit out of whack, but I haven't gotten through all the maps and enemy types so far. It's a game that could make use of incremental additions, just like BB of course, for those who didn't want it to become something radically different (like a game with cavalry or something).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
How do you use the Priest?
His abilities have a very high HP cost which usually seems not worth it to me (as it usually makes him 1 or 2 shotable).

Also didn't get how to upgrade mutators, got a gem but i have no idea how to use it.
You can drag identical mutators on top of each other in your inventory, you upgrade them that way.
MadSheepStudios It should be more obvious. Maybe on the mutator description? I totally missed it.
I am only at the beginning, but great game so far btw.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How do you use the Priest?
His abilities have a very high HP cost which usually seems not worth it to me (as it usually makes him 1 or 2 shotable).

You'll find both his starting skills are of the most importance.
He's fast (4 tiles i think) and his abilities have a range of 3 tiles (i think) so you can keep him far away from the action as long as there is ranged units around.
I always focus on vitality for him, even if his abilities drain are % based, it really helps keeping him alive.

Obviously, you use life steal on damaged units and it works best with high damage ones, aegis is great because not only it cancels the next incoming hit but at close range, the shielded unit will retaliate.

There's also a mutator which gives you two free focus skill uses from the beginning of the battle and two extra aegis is great.

So, try to kill the enemy ranged units fast and then bring him closer to get some kills on weakened foes, his other ability can also help if multiple of your units are surrounding an enemy.
Also, use ranged units, they're overpowered once leveled up a tiny bit.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, a reliable strategy i've ben using since the first alpha build i've played is pairing a guardian with a high damage unit like a bloodknight (or a berserker later but he needs a lot of agi to be as useful) and the guardian would always shield him, these two would block the enemy wave keeping the rest of the group safe behind.

You'll have to use the terrain too and the hunter can lay traps if there's other ways to flank your group.

The javelin thrower, with the ranged support mutator is ideal to support the guardian/damage dealer duo.

Leaving a 5th guy helping the hunter, a warmonk is great with the stunning crit mutator and some + agi mutator when hit or on hit or both, he'll probably need it if he has no otther support than the hunter.

The engager could be the 5th party member too, great to lock enemies and to push them into traps.

The last one being the priest, far away from the ranged units, when enemies die fast, he can cast aegis every single turn.

It's useful to replace a ranged unit by one of these two when attacking a fortress, 3 units able to push enemies on deadly traps is great.

I've no strategy for villages, although it's better already with no boiling oil tiles surrounding them.

MadSheepStudios
My bad, after updating, villages are easier, can't say i love them very much but it's better.
Would be great if we could see terrain elevation before the combat begins, in order to deploy our troops more efficiently.

I'm not big on tutorials but a tutorial explaining how to upgrade mutators would be nice, because you don't remove them usually so you could miss the hints on how to upgrade them.

Same for vampirism and werebeast curse, would be nice to remind the player he can send his units on a mission to remove them.
Also, maybe reducing the remove curse missions duration for the first area, because you probably don't have a lot of benched units.

I still think the catapult aoe is too big, there's no other option than to rush to the top to get rid of it and the ranged units by pushing everyone.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
I may be wrong, but I feel like the Hunter uses the same crossbow SFX as Battle Brothers.

Also, great game! Definetely stuff to iron out yet, but the premise is there. Little niche gem.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
By the way, a reliable strategy i've ben using since the first alpha build i've played is pairing a guardian with a high damage unit like a bloodknight (or a berserker later but he needs a lot of agi to be as useful) and the guardian would always shield him, these two would block the enemy wave keeping the rest of the group safe behind.

Yeah I had some success with the sentinel + bloodknight combo. The bloodknight is pretty underwhelming until he gets his leech ability, I'd say - but then 66% hp leech on hit can easily get him to full health all the time even without the protection of a sentinel. He also looks cool as all hell ; my favorite unit probably, although I doubt it outperforms the others ultimately.

Traps are a must, and can be used liberally, although in some battles you don't have time to set them up properly. But they make hunters and assassins all the more useful overall.

I've been really leaning on a heavily offensive strategy, with little armored characters, but I'm not sure if this is optimal. Ranged units are overall pretty powerful and you'd think you'd have some kind of success focusing your melee guys on defense, and the ranged purely on offense. Probably somewhat of a basic strategy you can pull off there, but it might not work in certain scenarios.

Fortresses are brutal. It seems as if you pretty much need to secure one to be able to take bounty hunters without too much hassle.

The game could use more variety as you progress on the new maps.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
How do you build your tanks, MDPS and RDPS stat wise?
I pump AGI + ST or AGI + CON on DPS (whether they are ranged or melee), and AG+VIT on tanks, but I am not sure it is really worth pumping anything else than VIT on tank as they will still be slow, and I don't really need them to reposition a lot if they get the Stalwart mutator.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah, some AGI is worthwhile on tanks, notably on the sentinel - the amount he can get free blocks will depend on your stamina ; the spearman will be able to do more spearwalls, etc. AGI is really for the stamina rather than the speed. There are optimal numbers I would assume, a point where you don't need AGI anymore, but I don't know them. Overall I value more AGI than VIT especially in the early game, because its armor that makes tanks (except the bloodknight variant I was talking about, which can perhaps tank a little). Haven't played a lot with concentration yet, the abilities seem to go off pretty fast as it is.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How do you build your tanks, MDPS and RDPS stat wise?
I pump AGI + ST or AGI + CON on DPS (whether they are ranged or melee), and AG+VIT on tanks, but I am not sure it is really worth pumping anything else than VIT on tank as they will still be slow, and I don't really need them to reposition a lot if they get the Stalwart mutator.

My bloodknight is more AGI/VIT + STR mostly half or even 2/3 get into STR, way more agi for ranged ones for support strikes, specially on javelin-men.
But sure, the berserker needs way less STR and way more AGI.

Yeah, some AGI is worthwhile on tanks, notably on the sentinel - the amount he can get free blocks will depend on your stamina ; the spearman will be able to do more spearwalls, etc. AGI is really for the stamina rather than the speed. There are optimal numbers I would assume, a point where you don't need AGI anymore, but I don't know them. Overall I value more AGI than VIT especially in the early game, because its armor that makes tanks (except the bloodknight variant I was talking about, which can perhaps tank a little). Haven't played a lot with concentration yet, the abilities seem to go off pretty fast as it is.

I don't have the numbers right now but the guardian should be able to tank 3 times per turn at least, once he's there with 1.5 / 2K hp (never played the last area though), at high level, i like to boost his STR, with the boost damage for HP buff, he can be extremely lethal even without death traps around, same as the priest.

As for the armored units only + ranged, i'm not sure, could have been a reliable strategy for earlier version but they can destroy your armor pieces now so it doesn't seem optimal, i wouldn't go without at least a warmonk, a berserker or a bloodknight.

but then 66% hp leech on hit can easily get him to full health all the time even without the protection of a sentinel.

I'm not sure but i think it was nerfed a bit.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Played the latest version a bit on epic (hard)
What i like :
+ New visuals for demi-bosses :obviously:
+ Units offering to join if we wipe everyone out but them
+ Some extremely tough battles you can avoid (or not)
+ Open villages
+ Ballistas seems to get into the fight faster than previous version but don't act so often afterward :obviously:

A couple of things that could be improved :
- Putting these possible defectors in a different enemy faction so our eventual allies wouldn't target them or add a command to enable/disable allies targeting them in battle.
- Improving the upgrading/forge chances of higher quality pieces of equipment, the low quality ones are the ones i'll discard first.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Hey there!

I am glad you liked it! Still many things to add and improve. I am still not satisfied with the strategic (overworld) layer, and currently am designing new campaign modes to be added.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Some more feedback :
+ Relic Hunters :obviously:
+ Bounty Hunters (they're implemented for some time but it's an interesting feature)
+ Healer being able to cure the infections. :hug:
+ Infestions : didn't get one this time and i heavily fought vampires and werebeasts, do only injured mercs get infected ? (would be great)

Suggestion :
Didn't have the problem yet but it'd be lame to get a legendary item having the exact mutator your merc absorbed ...
Allow to extract and infuse a new mutator from legendary equipment, even if it requires a high level blacksmith.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Hi guys!

Since the beginning of March, we’ve been working on a completely new faction – the Forsaken.
These ancient creatures have been cast out and now skulk alone in the darkness beyond the margins of civilization. No man would have the courage to visit the cursed lands they normally inhabit, but now they’ve begun to invade the territories of men!

Their special abilities and traits will pose a great challenge in battle, forcing the player to try new and very different tactics to overcome them.

hWytSvN.jpg

GdeYv1B.jpg

RDerOxr.jpg

The second big task for us has been the design, implementation and testing of a new campaign mode: Conquest.
The Conquest campaign will play completely differently from the default Adventure campaign.
Your goal will be to attack and capture sites in one huge world map comprised of fortresses, camps, mines, villages and so on.
You’ll be able to field up to 12 combatants in battle, as opposed to only 6 in the default mode.

crFJeH5.jpg

Tactical decisions will grow more complex as the battlefields are larger and you’ll face many more enemies. Formations, frontline soldiers, archers and possibly even siege weapons will have to be considered!
Furthermore, you’ll have the option to garrison some of your units in world map nodes to secure different areas against roving hostiles.

Your enemies will have the same goal – they will try to capture nodes, increase their income, and hire new soldiers to fight for them.
There will be more factions in the world map, and each faction can declare war on its neighbours, just like the player!

There will also be a new resource to gather, metal, which will be used to craft new weapons and armour.
You’ll be able to free oppressed villagers and enlist them to fight for you (in which case you can choose their class and gear), or to become a blacksmith or miner. Or you can assign them to manage a fortress and raise its income.

As you can see, Conquest is much more focused on the strategic layer; you’ll have to plan long term to succeed in this much more complex campaign.
We plan to publish a playable build of this new mode in our beta branch soon, hopefully by the end of next week. From there we will gather feedback and suggestions from our beta testers to finish the work as soon as possible, maybe even before final release!

cheers,
David

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom