Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
True, lore-wise it could be explained by stealth or by more exotic tactics (I don't think it's a coincidence that she was described as 'Dunmer woman wearing a skirt)'.

I think the Skyrim quest 'Blood on Ice' (a nod to Bathory? :obviously:) was a decent development of this idea. Can't remember if Oblivion had an equivalent.
Blood on Ice was a pretty decent quest - accounting for partial failure and different levels of success.

That's something oblivion quests didn't do on principle.

It's not ideal, mind you, for example, you are not able to find the actual killer before he strikes even though you should be able to.
The quest also breaks really easily, even with the unofficial patch.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Blood on Ice was a pretty decent quest - accounting for partial failure and different levels of success.

It's not ideal, mind you, for example, you are not able to find the actual killer before he strikes even though you should be able to.
It was a neat quest in theory, but the execution was shit. As far as I remember, you can pinpoint the killer with absolute certainty, with more than enough evidence to support it (the game even gives you enough hints to do so!), yet the only thing you can do is follow the script and finally catch the killer red-handed, no real deductions required on the player's part. The one good thing about the quest is that you can actually fail it, and probably even will if you're just meekly following quest markers.

Many of Skyrim's seemingly more ambitious quests are like this, which arguably makes them more disappointing than a linear quest with no pretense of choice in the first place.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The good news about the difficulty in Morrowind is that you can mod it pretty heavily, making the game nigh impossible to complete. And it's piss easy to do.

Some mods that spring to mind (I forgot the names):

• Harder Barter
  • disable Creeper and mudcrab merchant
  • BTB's game settings plugin
  • Faster projectiles
  • NPC use racial powers
  • single point to spend on attributes per level
  • advance skills via training only (Wizards & Warriors oldschool vibe)
  • Blight storms spread disease, you can die from blight which puts you on time pressure to cure it (technically a restored content mod)

DraQ

Arcane

It was a neat quest in theory, but the execution was shit. As far as I remember, you can pinpoint the killer with absolute certainty, with more than enough evidence to support it (the game even gives you enough hints to do so!), yet the only thing you can do is follow the script and finally catch the killer red-handed, no real deductions required on the player's part. The one good thing about the quest is that you can actually fail it, and probably even will if you're just meekly following quest markers.
IIRC you can only get the extra evidence early if you pickpocket the key from the actual murderer. Then it indeed turns into idiot ball following contest (unofficial patch makes it impossible to get the key early AFAIK).

Other than that it's quite ok - you can be misled into taking the investigation in wrong direction, you might end up with varying number of people dying depending on your performance.

It would have been better if it involved more shortcuts (getting killer's journal early) and potential entry points (get into Hjerim first and discover gruesome altar, etc.).

Many of Skyrim's seemingly more ambitious quests are like this, which arguably makes them more disappointing than a linear quest with no pretense of choice in the first place.
Disagreed. Involved railroaded quests tend to work poorly in open world games. If anything, even minimalistic quests that serve as excuse to go places are better.

Funposter

Arcane
The good news about the difficulty in Morrowind is that you can mod it pretty heavily, making the game nigh impossible to complete. And it's piss easy to do.

Some mods that spring to mind (I forgot the names):

• Harder Barter
  • disable Creeper and mudcrab merchant
  • BTB's game settings plugin
  • Faster projectiles
  • NPC use racial powers
  • single point to spend on attributes per level
  • advance skills via training only (Wizards & Warriors oldschool vibe)
  • Blight storms spread disease, you can die from blight which puts you on time pressure to cure it (technically a restored content mod)
Or just play as a pure Mage without exploiting alchemy, and experience the joy of 20-60% Reflect on all high level enemies.

Funposter

Arcane
Alchemy is just part of the problem, though. Plenty of mods that address that too.
Yes, of course. I mean the easiest way to "fix" it is to just make it so that Intelligence has no effect on the outcome of potion-making so that the player can't infinitely stack Fortify Intelligence potions, which several mods already do.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I would love to see oblivious counterpart. Including guy with around 50 arrows sticking out of him still fighting while emitting derpy taunts or two guys just slashing each other over and over.
Bonus points for faithful imperial foresters impression.
You mean this one?

1581352779842.png

Cyril

Educated
I just wanted to say that all that matters to me is that in morrowind there are nix hounds while in oblivion there are dogs.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
nigga post some screens or video so i can see what the final product looks like before installing all that shit

The short answer is: very similar to normal Morrowind with MGE XE.
The long answer is: the visual mods I recommend installing are mostly small tweaks. No full bown texture replacers to be seen here.

The most important visual changes, which you are bound to notice, are:
  • Unique looking guards (Yet Another Guard Diversity).
  • Windows glow in the dark (Glow in the Dahrk).
  • Weapons have sheaths (Weapon Sheathing).
  • Signposts can be read (Signposts Retextured or Near Vanilla Road Sign Replacer).
  • Grass covers the ground (Remiros' Groundcover).
  • Interiors are darker and more atmospheric (di.Still.ed Lights).
  • You can see lights from a good distance now (Distant Lights).
  • Character faces look much better thanks to the uncompressed vanilla textures and Facelift, which corrects mesh UV mapping to make faces look normal as opposed to derpy.
  • A handful of buildings/towns have been remade to reflect concept art (Ghostgate Fortress, Ghostfence, Holamayan Monastery), or because they look cool (Tel Vos), or to make them more distinct (White Suran, Red Vos).
Vanilla Morrowind, but better. I'll link some pics in a moment.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind-2020-04-02-18-59-52-342.png

Morrowind-2020-04-02-19-01-31-772.png
Morrowind-2020-04-06-22-26-32-530.png

Morrowind-2020-04-09-14-46-20-277.png

Morrowind-2020-04-09-19-44-53-271.png

Morrowind-2020-04-09-19-51-21-909.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-12-33-59-514.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-12-34-08-940.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-18-01-13-376.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-18-01-40-999.png
Morrowind-2020-04-10-18-56-52-150.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-18-59-38-293.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-19-00-08-182.png
Morrowind-2020-04-10-19-01-36-831.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-19-02-25-228.png

Morrowind-2020-04-10-22-15-54-095.png

Note: Better Bodies is entirely optional, and for that matter "boobplate" in Better Armor is also entirely optional and I have provided a patch in its download link that removes it entirely. Playable Almalexia Outfit™ is not included in the mod list, but the revamped High Fane corridor is. Darker exterior lighting is not included in the mod list but I'm thinking of doing so as soon as I've got it mostly nailed down. MGE XE settings are up to you but I'm thinking of making that section more detailed so other players can match my settings.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
so you turned morrowind into oblivion XD
lamo that sure looks great

Sometimes I wonder what is it with this forum and its terrible taste in videogame graphics. Is it some kind of PTSD I'm not aware of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom