Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean if you are an all powerful undead mage just throw your phylactry into your setting equivalent of Mariana Trench.

You dont need to breath anyway right? And I doubt Water Breathing spells would last for the 10km dive. Not to mention fighting some big arse oceanic monstrosity on the way there.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
What ap do you think they will release next? I hope it's Carrion crown. I want vampires and undead and spooky stuff. Maybe a nice Goth gf romance.
Carrion Crown could be decent. I would also like Skull and Shackles, Iron Gods, Reign of Winter, and maybe Curse of The Crimson Throne. My concern is whether Paizo would continue to allow 1E content to be produced.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck this monk, shifter, summoner gay shit. Give me some warlock (or something similar).
Alas, Warlock is protected by great power of copyright. Pathfinder's mechanical analogue is Kineticist and he is already implemented for Kingmaker with first DLC.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And your way of thinking is... odd to say the least. You have accepted the out-of-universe truth that the villain always loses to such an extent that you can't even fathom the villain making an effort to not lose as anything but wasted effort. If hiding and protecting your phylactery is pointless because the heroes will find and destroy it, it is equally pointless to march your legions of death and try to conquer the world because the heroes will stop you. I somehow don't think you apply the same criteria to every villain's plan. And your phrase"steal your victory behind your back" makes me thing you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, as destroying the phylactery doesn't immediately destroy the lich. You still have to do that the old-fashioned way.

Amazing answer. IMO we need more bad endings on games. And games that allow you to be a villain. On PF:KM you can have a Lich advisor, can solve some quests like the lizardfolk in a different way if you are evil...

That said, a interesting proverb says "the good always wins because the winners decide what is good and evil"

Alas, Warlock is protected by great power of copyright. Pathfinder's mechanical analogue is Kineticist and he is already implemented for Kingmaker with first DLC.

Not true. Kineticist is extremely different than 3.5e Warlock. Being more elemental based, without fly, summons, etc.

And Witch is mechanically and thematically very similar to 5e warlock.

About 4e, who cares about 4e?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Fuck this monk, shifter, summoner gay shit. Give me some warlock (or something similar).
There's a Warlock archetype for the Vigilante class. There's really no easy way to implement that class in a game like this though.

Daidre

Arcane
Not true. Kineticist is extremely different than 3.5e Warlock. Being more elemental based, without fly, summons, etc.
3.5 Warlock's main schtick - level scaling blast modified by form and substance infusions was copied on Pathfinder's Kineticist. And air-based ones could fly too in PnP. Wild talents serve roughly the same role as warlock's invocations.

Lore flavor is of course different, it is the part where copyright hits hardest. I'd prefer Demonologist Scholar to cartoonish elemental powers any day, lore-wise, but I find element-mixing for composite blasts quite interesting too, mechanically.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Why the fuck is a mythic lich's phylactery more likely to be found? Likely such a creature would have almost limitless power in terms of how well they could hide it.
My reasoning was the gods. I don't know how active they are in the setting or limits of their power but I do know that there are some who absolutely despise undead for just existing. Gods need mortals for worship so if you have an undead who grew so powerful that he has the potential to ruin the whole world given enough time, divine intervention seems inevitable. The question is can mythic lich rival gods in power? If he can, then yes, it is hopeless for the doomed planet.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fire and aether based kineticists can also more or less fly.

Theoretically one could always back port the 5E Warlock, which is OGL content. Would end up with a pretty different feeling class though.

What ap do you think they will release next? I hope it's Carrion crown. I want vampires and undead and spooky stuff. Maybe a nice Goth gf romance.
Carrion Crown could be decent. I would also like Skull and Shackles, Iron Gods, Reign of Winter, and maybe Curse of The Crimson Throne. My concern is whether Paizo would continue to allow 1E content to be produced.

If not, just do 3PP publisher's AP for an OGL based game.

Yosharian

Arcane
Why the fuck is a mythic lich's phylactery more likely to be found? Likely such a creature would have almost limitless power in terms of how well they could hide it.
My reasoning was the gods. I don't know how active they are in the setting or limits of their power but I do know that there are some who absolutely despise undead for just existing. Gods need mortals for worship so if you have an undead who grew so powerful that he has the potential to ruin the whole world given enough time, divine intervention seems inevitable. The question is can mythic lich rival gods in power? If he can, then yes, it is hopeless for the doomed planet.
Yeah but gods can't really interfere, it's against the rules

Technomancer

Liturgist
Indeed but so is killing the planet I assume. I don't trust them to not interfere if pushed far enough. Exceptional case and all that. Or maybe they call them balance keepers...I mean too much bullshit already exists to counter your "limitless power".

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Isnt the Wardstone in Wrath AP made by one of the gods as well? How much interference is interfering?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lore flavor is of course different, it is the part where copyright hits hardest. I'd prefer Demonologist Scholar to cartoonish elemental powers any day, lore-wise, but I find element-mixing for composite blasts quite interesting too, mechanically.

IDK about US laws BUT if the Pathfinder Warlock is for example, instead of CHA based, is INT based and bargain with a outsider force for magical knowledge and mechanic wise he depending on the patron start the game with a different language, example, if you have a Lunar Dragon(remember - your patron must be outsider like a Outer_dragon; dragons from materiel plane should't be eligible to be your patron), you gain draconic language. Or abyssal if is a succubus/orcus/any demon teaching magic or celestial if is a angel(...) and the default elemental attack similar to Eldricht Blast, is partially force and partially (whatever your patron is elemental), it would be different enough to not be a "copyright infringement?"

You could argue that in that case, the warlock is a "outsiderish" version of Wizard, just like Druid is a "natureish" version of a cleric...

Daidre

Arcane
IDK about US laws BUT if the Pathfinder Warlock is for example, instead of CHA based, is INT based and bargain with a outsider force for magical knowledge and mechanic wise he depending on the patron start the game with a different language, example, if you have a Lunar Dragon(remember - your patron must be outsider like a Outer_dragon; dragons from materiel plane should't be eligible to be your patron), you gain draconic language. Or abyssal if is a succubus/orcus/any demon teaching magic or celestial if is a angel(...) and the default elemental attack similar to Eldricht Blast, is partially force and partially (whatever your patron is elemental), it would be different enough to not be a "copyright infringement?"

Theoretically one could always back port the 5E Warlock, which is OGL content.

I could see someone like Pierre Begue being a... small enough (with all due respect!) to get away with something like this in OGL game, but trying to get anything close to "Warlock class with Blasts" in the Pathfinder-licensed game, imho, is a sure way to provoke Paizo and WotC both into lawsuiting you to death.

Can't say about PnP though, class name appears here and there in 3rd party materials for Pathfinder, but it has nothing in common with D&D version.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I could see someone like Pierre Begue being a... small enough (with all due respect!) to get away with something like this in OGL game, but trying to get anything close to "Warlock class with Blasts" in the Pathfinder-licensed game, imho, is a sure way to provoke Paizo and WotC both into lawsuiting you to death.

Yep. But Witch(similar to 5e warlock) will gonna be in the game. But has his differences from 5e, Hexes and familiar mechanics

" Warlocks, as I understand it, primarily have blasting powers and not much else. Witches follow the vancian spellcasting system with their own spell lists, and using a familiar instead of a spellbook to hold spells, they also gain hexes that give them appropriate witch like powers "https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thr...rlocks-occupy-the-same-thematic-niche.758813/

Witches on Pathfinder also has more healing spells(but aren't good as clerics to be healers)

LordWildMan

Novice
Just read all 175 pages of this autism. Still blows my mind that people defend RTwP as a better system than TB. You can find it more fun, but to claim it is better is insanity to me. All I do is lurk, and read fucking old threads in the Codex Workshop. I have yet to see, in any of the almost TWO DECADES of TB vs RTwP discussion a RTwP defender win. Everyone that thinks RTwP is an objectively superior system needs to go back and read the "Magnificent Seven" thread from 18 years ago, then read the other numerous debate threads.

I will say that all of the harbingers of the true INDIE INCLINE that we have experienced chose TB as their system. Stygg (pbuh) and Vault Dweller (pbuh) made their current (and future) games on TB. If those Prophets chose Turn-Based, it is clearly superior to RTwP.

But the new Pathfinder game looks cool too.

LordWildMan

Novice
>Just read all 175 pages of this autism.
Holy mother of god, lol.
I want to point out that you were a major part of the autism by the way. Using quote arrows outside of 4chan, constant spamming with 'muh monks'. You need to take a breather, and stop using 4chan memes/mannerisms on an actual forum. They don't work well on a non-anonymous platform.

:love:

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Seems like Hispanics really like stuff for free but dont like paying for it. Spanish localisation is going to bite Devs in the Ass, hopefully they learn for next Kickstarter.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Just read all 175 pages of this autism.
Holy mother of god, lol.
I want to point out that you were a major part of the autism by the way. Using quote arrows outside of 4chan, constant spamming with 'muh monks'. You need to take a breather, and stop using 4chan memes/mannerisms on an actual forum. They don't work well on a non-anonymous platform.

:love:
Force of habit, sorry. Some habits from that place tend to carry over. It's what got me perma banned from the steam forums for Pathfinder.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Man this KS would be at 2 million already if reddit /r/games mods didn't delete the TB update and leave the usual shit threads up.
Literal cancer website. They're so busy jerking themselves off and down voting everything they slightly disagree with. Read the rules on that subreddit. I even remember the guy who posted the turn based update saying something like " I hope the mods accept this post. I figured its a significant enough update. " Why would you go on a forum where you're literally afraid of voicing your opinion on a video game because the mods are power hungry and like to go full dictatorship?

Owlcat isnt politically correct enought for the Leftwingers. Simple as that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom