Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hopefully the mythic paths will affect Druid forms and we'll finally get to play a viable transformation Druid.

Speaking of viability, how are the mythic paths going to influence our companions? I fear they are going to feel weak compared to the MC.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
everything takes time and work to implement. i hope they add a vast array of such abilities for each mythic path.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hopefully the mythic paths will affect Druid forms and we'll finally get to play a viable transformation Druid.
All kinds of shape-shifters suffered when Pathfinder's designers tried to "fix" D&D issues - new forms no longer overwrite physical stats but only add some flat bonus and even something like Huge Dragon gives measly +10 size STR and set of natural attacks, with full BAB at least.

As result, anyone who had low-ish STR and BAB in original form wont suddenly turn into killing machine when shapeshifted. So, not much hope for transformation druids. But maybe they will at least get their Dragon Form spell line back in new game that for some reason went missing in Kingmaker (only Wizards/Sorcs/Alchemists got access to it).

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Owlcat in regards to release date:
AGQxVXb.png

Ha, told you

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of viability, how are the mythic paths going to influence our companions? I fear they are going to feel weak compared to the MC.

This is from the Evolving Animal Companion update:

Also, all party members will now select special mythic feats and abilities when the main character gains a mythic level, and animal companions will also be presented with this selection.

Seems like everybody gets bit of everything. Most likely there will be general Mythic Feats for companions based on your Mythic level.

User0001

Savant
Just read all 175 pages of this autism. Still blows my mind that people defend RTwP as a better system than TB. You can find it more fun, but to claim it is better is insanity to me. All I do is lurk, and read fucking old threads in the Codex Workshop. I have yet to see, in any of the almost TWO DECADES of TB vs RTwP discussion a RTwP defender win. Everyone that thinks RTwP is an objectively superior system needs to go back and read the "Magnificent Seven" thread from 18 years ago, then read the other numerous debate threads.

I will say that all of the harbingers of the true INDIE INCLINE that we have experienced chose TB as their system. Stygg (pbuh) and Vault Dweller (pbuh) made their current (and future) games on TB. If those Prophets chose Turn-Based, it is clearly superior to RTwP.

But the new Pathfinder game looks cool too.

Great comment and for anyone interested in the thread you're referring to, - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...urn-based-the-magnificent-seven-argument.192/

Highly recommended read ^

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The romances in kingmaker weren't super lengthy or involved. More options means more chances for something like tiefling waifus, and I doubt it'll be an expensive goal.

Incidentally I'm on my second Kingmaker playthrough and after paying closer attention to their dialog I'm trying to get Regongar to kill Octavia in the funhouse. I changed my mind, whoever said she was the worst companion was right.

You have to romance regongar to achieve that.
How he kills her exactly and why? I'm curious but I really don't want to sleep with orcs just to find out. No info on the web.

At the HATEOT Nyrissa will take the shape of Janus, their master, and summon flames in the cells they are imprisoned. Only way to escape is for one of them to sacrifice the other. It is an illusion but if you romanced one of them, the other will die (unless it got changed in some later patches).
If no romance, they both recognize the illusion, won't play by Nyrissa rules and both survive.
Oh, I thought he'd kill her if I went through the evil ending for his quest or something. Fuck that.

Edit:
What ap do you think they will release next? I hope it's Carrion crown. I want vampires and undead and spooky stuff. Maybe a nice Goth gf romance.
Carrion Crown could be decent. I would also like Skull and Shackles, Iron Gods, Reign of Winter, and maybe Curse of The Crimson Throne. My concern is whether Paizo would continue to allow 1E content to be produced.
The Runelords trilogy (Rise of the Runelords, Shattered Star, and Return of the Runelords) would be fantastic, although that'd be committing to 3 games. I didn't really care for the villain of Crimson Throne when I read through the background for it, but I doubt Owlcat would leave her as a
bored socialite who married the king of a city for wealth and privilege and then gets possessed by an ancient artifact that turns her into an evil thot
. Strange Aeons would be another good one.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Just read all 175 pages of this autism. Still blows my mind that people defend RTwP as a better system than TB. You can find it more fun, but to claim it is better is insanity to me.
"Better" is subjective. I like TB more than RTwP myself, but despite the fact that Pillars of Eternity 1 did manage to kill my interest in RTwP (for cRPGs at least) I can understand why other people can like it over TB. I mean, I enjoyed BG2 (and IWD) a lot, after all. It's always down to perspective and the point of view depends on where you sit, so... I think this is fairly pointless to argue about which system is "better".

jungl

Augur
I never tried a druid in pathfinder but isnt the sorcerers dragon form spell superior to the druids elemental forms. Making the whole gimick of the druid class and the class itself essentially obsolete caster.

user

Savant
I never tried a druid in pathfinder but isnt the sorcerers dragon form spell superior to the druids elemental forms. Making the whole gimick of the druid class and the class itself essentially obsolete caster.

Yes, way better than any form of the druid in melee and with better self-buffs. I really wish there were some end-game feats and forms for wildshape. Call of the Wild adds a flytrap form at level 11 and planar ws feat, but still...

jungl

Augur
Thats the problem with pathfinder. Might as well delete druid class and all those legacy 3rd edition prestige classes like dragon disciple and make their own unique stuff.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just read all 175 pages of this autism. Still blows my mind that people defend RTwP as a better system than TB. You can find it more fun, but to claim it is better is insanity to me. All I do is lurk, and read fucking old threads in the Codex Workshop. I have yet to see, in any of the almost TWO DECADES of TB vs RTwP discussion a RTwP defender win. Everyone that thinks RTwP is an objectively superior system needs to go back and read the "Magnificent Seven" thread from 18 years ago, then read the other numerous debate threads.

I will say that all of the harbingers of the true INDIE INCLINE that we have experienced chose TB as their system. Stygg (pbuh) and Vault Dweller (pbuh) made their current (and future) games on TB. If those Prophets chose Turn-Based, it is clearly superior to RTwP.

But the new Pathfinder game looks cool too.

Great comment and for anyone interested in the thread you're referring to, - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...urn-based-the-magnificent-seven-argument.192/

Highly recommended read ^
that's some abstract shit that has little to do with tactical combat in computer game. and the debate happened because of 2 systems inside one game, not if one is clearly superior, but gl fighting strawpplz.

the real value of TB is pre planning and enemy reacting to your plan and said plan going wrong way or not. this is why a lot of great tb games utilise some element of uncertainty (like x com) or similar mechanic (like dos1 elemental play). PK with TB mod has nothing of the sort, as all battles are generally predictable, ai has no idea about action economy inside turns and it cannot react to player actions - you can just walk hasted turn-1 to enemy hardest boss and one shot them, while their henchmen can just watch.

Stygg (pbuh) and Vault Dweller (pbuh) made their current (and future) games on TB
do note that in AoD you're universally outnumbered by 5:1 or 50 to 1 (ordu battle) and often same in Underrail (plus absurd numbers on highest difficulty). speaking of tactics and number bloat, I mean, lol, these are not even party games. what's tactical about them?
at least should have named Dungeon Rats as a much more tactical and fair game. but maybe you're too bad for it? but i guess, after arguments like "if you want challenging combat, play x com" and yahtzee utub memes :shittydog:

don't forget to put me on ignor list :shittydog:

User0001

Savant
the real value of TB is pre planning and enemy reacting to your plan and said plan going wrong way or not. this is why a lot of great tb games utilise some element of uncertainty (like x com) or similar mechanic (like dos1 elemental play). PK with TB mod has nothing of the sort, as all battles are generally predictable, ai has no idea about action economy inside turns and it cannot react to player actions - you can just walk hasted turn-1 to enemy hardest boss and one shot them, while their henchmen can just watch.

Whether TB or RTwP, both systems will be using the same AI, so I agree with you on this and hope that it'll be better in Wrath of the Righteous.

do note that in AoD you're universally outnumbered by 5:1 or 50 to 1 (ordu battle) and often same in Underrail (plus absurd numbers on highest difficulty). speaking of tactics and number bloat, I mean, lol, these are not even party games. what's tactical about them?
at least should have named Dungeon Rats as a much more tactical and fair game. but maybe you're too bad for it? but i guess, after arguments like "if you want challenging combat, play x com" and yahtzee utub memes :shittydog:

don't forget to put me on ignor list :shittydog:

Number bloat was also a problem in Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Thank you for pointing this out and let's both hope that the encounter design and AI is worked on.

Peace

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sir, I am a mentally stunted adult. My entire mental capacity can be summarized by the amount of time I've wasted on Kingmaker.
I cannot comprehend your fixation with PfK. Certainly there are better games to become autistically focused upon.
I don't know how to explain it to you. I just love Pathfinder that much. It captures the magic that I felt when I first played Baldur's Gate.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems like Hispanics really like stuff for free but dont like paying for it. Spanish localisation is going to bite Devs in the Ass, hopefully they learn for next Kickstarter.

1 - Spanish is not only spoken in centralsouth america
2 - Eastern Europe also has his problem with piracy
3 - Hispanic is not a race. Only on US, the Argentine descendants of Adolf Eichmann, Egon Albrecht Lemke, a Luftwaffe Iron Cross ace born in Brazil and Richard Darré, a Reichsminister born in Argentina belongs to the same racial group of Afro Caribbeans. No other country in the world consider it as a race.
4 - Even if the game becomes extremely pirated in a particular region, IDK how piracy is on Spain and Philippines

Druids can heal and use spells like creeping doom. But one disappoint that i had with druids is that i could't use spells in most shifted form

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2759746

Learning Our Lessons

Dear Pathfinders,

The launch of Pathfinder: Kingmaker turned out to be an incredibly important day for us in the QA team, when feedback started flooding in from players... the good, the bad, and (unfortunately) the buggy. Despite all our efforts, we failed to achieve the level of quality in all our released content that our players deserved. Support from the player community allowed us to fix the majority of errors in a relatively short time, but the lesson we learned back then remains burned into our memories like the Worldwound on the surface of Golarion.

Today we’re going to tell you about what we’re doing in the new project to ensure that, this time around, we smooth out all the rough edges that Kingmaker had at launch.

When development started on Wrath of the Righteous, we decided that quality was our number one priority. We carefully calculated that to achieve our goal, we would need 23 manual testers working all day, every day from now until launch. That’s an eye-watering number of man hours to spend on testing, and that doesn’t even include management, coordination, and everything else that goes into QA. We decided that the smarter approach would be to increase the number of manual testers by a sensible amount, and alongside this, to focus on strengthening our ranks with people who could build us the extra help we needed. Yes, you heard that right! In the QA department at Owlcat Games, all our in-house tools are considered part of the team, and we named them after creatures from Golarion.

Clockwork & Arbiter
The first team member we want to introduce is Clockwork, our bot that plays through the game for us. He can:

● Play through a specific scene. This helps us to maintain the game at the quality level already achieved and, most importantly, save time on regression testing, the most labor-intensive part of the testing process. Playing through an 80-hour game in a gazillion different ways takes a long, long time. But it’s essential work, since indirect changes can cause parts of the game to break.

● Play according to simple behavior patterns, for example, “kill everything on sight.” These exploratory excursions will help us understand how difficult the game can be, depending on the actions players choose to take.

9e17aedfbd9724a35b29d7728cc8d732_original.jpg

clockwork mage by Damien Mammoliti

We’ll be expanding Clockwork’s abilities even more, so that he can find the maximum number of bug combinations and regressions. But while our automation team is developing Clockwork’s new features, he’ll be spending night after night tirelessly slaying demons (current kill count: 83,452).

So, while Clockwork is busy checking the game’s mechanics, our second bot, Arbiter, is responsible for tracking visual changes in the game world. He rants indignantly whenever he detects a missing texture or model, or sees a character holding a weapon the wrong way round, or notices a drop in performance.

b37f6db1c1210f77484817c9b8cece8b_original.png

The best thing about our bots is that they find bugs super efficiently, allowing us to quickly figure out what’s causing the issue and resolve it. Making fixes during the dev process increases the overall quality of the game, and also saves time that would have been spent on bug reports and fixes further down the line, since this work will stop some bugs from cropping up entirely.
Aeon, Scrivenite & Bebilith
Besides direct testing, we’re also working on reducing the time spent on finding and fixing bugs. That’s where the next guys come in.

Aeon is our comms guardian. All the messages you send us through the in-game report function pass through his true-neutral hands. Since Pathfinder: Kingmaker, he’s learned how to gather more information to understand the context around a reported error. Now the developers can log all bugs directly from the game.

52eada532bccff3cc4d0e9fe6f05b605_original.jpg

Pathfinder Bestiary 2, pg. 12~13

Aeon also notifies the devs about critical errors, holds all the necessary information about preparing the current release, and provides it on request.

The game data consists of interrelated resources. Imagine you’re waiting for the final line of dialogue in a romance storyline. You wait and wait, but it never comes. You need this line to appear before you can finally embark on a relationship with your paramour of choice. Why isn’t the line appearing? It could be there’s a problem with the line itself, or maybe there’s an issue with the conditions required to trigger it: 3 completed quests, 10 dialogue phrases spoken at just the right time, and 18 decisions that endear you to your beloved. During debugging, the time it takes to manually study all these connections is staggering.

But with Scrivenite and Bebilith, we make this process more transparent. Scrivenite contains the entire history of changes made to resources, and Bebilith records all the connections between them. They complement each other beautifully, and together they know everything about changes made to the game code.

f067294985bc010c901cdb2fa0cd2f7c_original.png

This data-driven duo helps us quickly see how fundamental a change is, and what percentage of the game has been touched. They also hugely speed up the process of searching for an error, the author, and when the error occurred. They let us see a clear list of changes that have been made to a specific section of the game, and whether these changes may affect the rest of the game.

On top of all this, they also seriously cut down the time it takes to finalize a game build, meaning that we can get fixes out to players in record time.

No matter how smart we make our bots, they can only tell us if the game is working as expected—nothing more, nothing less. That’s why we’ll keep leveling our Perception skill and building on our tradition of alpha and beta testing, so we can find out from you, the players, if our game is good or not. The feedback we get from our players is extremely important for ensuring that we can tweak and balance the gameplay in time for launch. If you want to find out more about all the ways we collect user feedback, you can read the update we posted during the Pathfinder: Kingmaker campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1997996.

Rest assured, we’ll be using every tool at our disposal to make the game as good as it can be!

To arms!

Owlcats

e94639ac9cc5d71687fc3070884fa252_original.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Sir, I am a mentally stunted adult. My entire mental capacity can be summarized by the amount of time I've wasted on Kingmaker.
I cannot comprehend your fixation with PfK. Certainly there are better games to become autistically focused upon.
I don't know how to explain it to you. I just love Pathfinder that much. It captures the magic that I felt when I first played Baldur's Gate.

Yeah I understand that very well. PfK is the only game in the last decade I am excited to play like when I first played BG as well. On my 3rd complete playthrough right now and I still feel the magic.

Codex "incline" list like Underail or AoD can go to hell, PfK is where its at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom