Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Larian going grim with the dialogue to show how they can be serious, huh. :M

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't see them go first person.

Unless you got no companion in the game, otherwise it would be a nightmare to control them in first person.

the mo-cap is likely just for cut-scenes, which might be first person so they won't have to show your character.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane

ugh, another useless video with 0 information.

February 27, larian shows a bunch of in-engine cutscenes and call it "gameplay".
Half a year later, larian shows a bunch of combat finishers with cinematic camera and with hud turned off and call it "combat showcase".
Year later, larian shows a pre-rendered intro and call it story trailer.

where is the game, lebowski?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
When this game disappoints us and turns out to be nothing like the BG series rpgcodex should host a Baldur's Gate 1 replay where we can all act like the game just came out and we're discovering everything for the first time. We can act like we don't know where all the items or companions are or how the game works and can give each other tips.

Yosharian

Arcane
When this game disappoints us and turns out to be nothing like the BG series rpgcodex should host a Baldur's Gate 1 replay where we can all act like the game just came out and we're discovering everything for the first time. We can act like we don't know where all the items or companions are or how the game works and can give each other tips.
Alternatively, we could do that for BG2 which is actually still worth playing in 2020

*hides*

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

ugh, another useless video with 0 information.

February 27, larian shows a bunch of in-engine cutscenes and call it "gameplay".
Half a year later, larian shows a bunch of combat finishers with cinematic camera and with hud turned off and call it "combat showcase".
Year later, larian shows a pre-rendered intro and call it story trailer.

where is the game, lebowski?

I can't wait for the press release for the worldwide announcement of the teaser of the story trailer.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Alternatively, we could do that for BG2 which is actually still worth playing in 2020

*hides*
I agree that bg2 is better but disagree that BG 1 isn't playable. But mainly I feel like playing bg1 would be more poetic or whatever.

Either way on its release I'm going to be playing bg1 and I'm going to make a thread and hope you all join me. This is all assuming Larian does some stupid shit and makes dos3 rather than bg3.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Who's this Jesse Cox guy that's going to be presenting? Incline or decline?
WhqPKr3.jpg
Guess :troll:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't see them go first person.

Unless you got no companion in the game, otherwise it would be a nightmare to control them in first person.

the mo-cap is likely just for cut-scenes, which might be first person so they won't have to show your character.
They will just auto follow you. It might even have formations.

hexer

I like how the mocap people in the trailer are sometimes just standing there before acting.
TB confirmed. :lol:

hexer

I'm not an expert on medieval weaponry but I find it silly to see mocap actors are holding plastic bows, weapons and shields.

How can you get good results by relying on toys?

Mud'

Scholar
Seeing all this just makes me sad that Larian didnt just make a RPG based in D&D 5E but without the BG name attached to it, i mean.

Like, they are so close to achieving something good with the interactivity they have in their games, the combat, even with all the damn flaws it has in D:OS2 was kinda fun to play with friends (after using mods like saving throws, tweaking to hell and back the health bloat, armor and all that shit, shit that the 5E would fix), they just needed better dialogue and story and they could reach a great RPG.

But now they are carrying the burden that is trying to live up to BG 1 & BG2 and every step they take will be criticized by the fans of BG and the fans of D:OS2, its a uphill battle that no matter what they do, they will lose.

I'm not an expert on medieval weaponry but I find it silly to see mocap actors are holding plastic bows, weapons and shields.

How can you get good results by relying on toys?
They are working on a fantasy game, where high STR stat allows you to wield greatsword with your dick.
Main goal are impactful animations that get personality of characters across (rogues do flips etc.) not realism (yeah, you can't have both, refer to Cum: Deliverance for proofs).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom