Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I seem to recall an OSE employee (probably gone now) stating how they were playing an in-house SS3 build. Totally believable at this point!

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
I seem to recall an OSE employee (probably gone now) stating how they were playing an in-house SS3 build. Totally believable at this point!
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a vertical slice to test out game mechanics and whatnot. Nothing close to being feature complete or having all of the world built out, but a section or two that they can run though for testing purposes/demonstrations for potential publishers is pretty believable. Unless Warren can conjure up a miracle, I doubt we're ever going to see a finished product, but I don't have a problem accepting that the game is to a certain extent, "playable".

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a vertical slice to test out game mechanics and whatnot. Nothing close to being feature complete or having all of the world built out, but a section or two that they can run though for testing purposes/demonstrations for potential publishers is pretty believable. Unless Warren can conjure up a miracle, I doubt we're ever going to see a finished product, but I don't have a problem accepting that the game is to a certain extent, "playable".

Mockups to lure backer/publisher money aren't really development builds.

We should know this by now when even bigger frauds do the same.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
At least he finally landed a new job:

It's a fairly big studio with over 20 years of history. Originally called Idol Minds, recently worked on Life is Strange spinoff. (Don't be confused with Deck 13.)

Apparently they're working on another game with Square Enix. (It would be funny if it's Thi5f. :cool: Likely not, because the studio's focus is apparently narrative-driven games.)

Harthwain

Magister
Apparently they're working on another game with Square Enix. (It would be funny if it's Thi5f. :cool: Likely not, because the studio's focus is apparently narrative-driven games.)
They could be making narrative-driven parts (the main storyline, for example), while leaving the rest fairly open to the player. It may not be likely, but it's technically possible.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
They worked on so many things at once while the only game they prepared to actually bring to the market was completely broken.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
They worked on so many things at once while the only game they prepared to actually bring to the market was completely broken.

With how often crowdfunding has been used to bolster a studio's general reserves of cash... you have to wonder how much of 505 Games' money intended for the development of UA went to SS3 instead. For that matter, Google's for that VR TD thing Underworld Overlord.

"AAA quality at the AA price tag” Hmmm...

Silentstorm

Learned
Meanwhile, forgetting that releasing a bad game by itself could already slightly damage their reputation, but releasing a terrible broken game at start would be much worse, they just apparently were so full of themselves that they felt they could work on other projects and release UA as it was at the start and not get hurt by it.

ironmask

Arbiter
They could be making narrative-driven parts (the main storyline, for example), while leaving the rest fairly open to the player. It may not be likely, but it's technically possible.
I have seen cutscenes for the Life is Tumbler spinoff and you do not want them to make a story for thief, trust me.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Top threads on the Steam forum, more than one year after launch:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discussions/

"Resolution changes to 1280x1024 after changing keybings"

"Menus unresponsive - Game needs to be pulled!"

"The game has crashed my computer, twice, before even starting the game proper"

This isn't the state after they launched it. This is the state after half a year of updating and after they officially announced that was it.

Hines

Savant
https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/physical-awards-update/10070/24

Hey folks, I’ve been off on some needed time off so catching up on things now.

Unfortunately, some of the figurines broke in our shipping to FanGamer. We’re going to have some new ones made and painted, but that’s going to delay fulfillment a bit longer. I don’t have the specific schedule for how quickly the new figurines can be made and then painted, but it’s at least a handful of weeks. Will keep you posted.

pPdNZ3cg.jpg

Eli_Havelock

Learned
At this point it feels like kicking a dead horse.

KICKstarter - Ha-ha!

Can anyone believe that Fangamer sent them pictures of all those broken figurines and totally didn't stash some away for later on eBay? Lets see these broken figurines.

Nyast

Cipher
Imagine getting your hands on one of those figurines. That may end up being an epic collector going in history, for all the bad reasons. Maybe it'll be worth thousands of dollars in the far future, just like the ET cartridges are nowadays !

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The saddest thing is the few people who were actually trying to do a job working on this, who will now have to explain this on their resume blaming management and the "other guys".

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The saddest thing is the few people who were actually trying to do a job working on this, who will now have to explain this on their resume blaming management and the "other guys".

Nah, nobody really cares about the stuff you didn't do, they care about the stuff you actually did and if they manage to have some work examples they shouldn't be affected. At most, this will be an interesting discussion topic for lunch breaks :). Even experience working on a disaster is better than no experience at all.

If anything, it may help:
- "hey, that part reminds me of what we did in UA"
- "oh, ahm... really?" (*puts note down to review that part*)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
IDK guys. Razorfist loved this game so much he's streamed it once in a year and a half.

Nyast

Cipher

Ahah, the comments in that article are priceless..

They're an extremely capable and talented team

Oh yeah I don't question the skill of the team

I'll still look forward to the work these guys put out, because they've earned a lot of good will

This team is capable of so much more; it's a shame the game didn't come together in the end.

So yeah, the game is horrible but the team was talented and it wasn't their fault, just bad management, lol.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it wasn't their fault, just bad management, lol.

I don't know a whole bunch about this game's development in particular but that is absolutely a thing that happens. Bad managers waste people's times, make people redo work over and over, burn people out and make them unproductive; etc. the list is pretty much endless.

A lot of gamedev would benefit from a more horizontal management system. Sure is doing Motion Twin good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom