Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

gellyo

Barely Literate
There's still a lot of bugs and it seems like the new successor to Diablo, I'm really excited about the future of this game

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Eh, I'm getting a bit tired of the game. The rifting is really repetitive and once you figure out how to make powerful builds (aka once you know which nodes flat out don't work and to avoid) there really isn't much else to look forward to. My Bow Ranger is melting everything and I'm just going through the motions now while being virtually unstoppable. I made a melee and mage char as well and saw what their gameplay was like; it was alright, but I like the bow gameplay the most in this game. The combat system is neat but the game obviously still needs a lot of work and more content. I think the biggest mistake in the launch version of Wolcen (ignoring bugs and going purely from a design POV) was that they included both the campaign and rifting end game. IMO they should've picked one thing and made that more robust and replayable, instead of two things that are pretty meh. You also get a whole lot of passive points and since the tree isn't particularly big you can easily grab most of the important keystones with every char. My Ranger, for example, is a tanky critty high DPS ranged character who can also apply status effects. It only does everything.

The loot drops in this game are mostly trash too. Going through rift after rift while not finding anything fun to use starts to make the game taste like saw dust, which means that it's about time to take a break.

PrettyDeadman

I am 0.6%er:
Spttvxa.png

UCfmEQQ.png

Get on my level, 0.6% pleb.
Pff, I only needed to use 0.1% of my power to get on your level.
CWCzwlO.png

Btw, last achievment is bugged. I absolutely did not rebuilt all that, and I doubt that 0.8 percent of players did. What happened is I finished archives project, it gave me achievment, but archive hasn't been rebuild in the end...

PrettyDeadman

I can talk about bad things a lot more than about good things here, but I still enjoyed this game. Hopefull the devs will adress main issues with the game by expanding the late game mechanics and adding new content via dditional story mode acts (they promised 4 more if I am not mistaken). The bad things about this game are fixeable (but there is no guarantee devs are going to fix it), but the core is fun.

Good things:
* Shiny graphics and presentation (compared to POE).
* Seeming variety and deph in character building.
* Decent itemization.
Character build usually requires several stats to stack, both defensive and offensive, and items can have those in different combinations, which means the item progression isn't gettings the same items but with better stats over and over again. You often have to decide what to wear, one good item can require you to change other items in your build to compensate for something it's lacking.
Haven't seen any build-defining items, which is both bad and good things. Bad for obvious reasons (lack of deph), but also kinda good because you can try any build without being a twitch personality with hundreds of followers donating you stuff or farming for rares yourself for weeks just to try something new.
* Good game feel with nice animations, visual effects, punchy abilities.
* Nice end game farmville-like timewaster city building minigame (feels a bit like a chore sometimes though).

Bad things:
* Story campaign is kinda bad in terms of story, presentation and design, but it feels like a tutorial, since there are no higher difficulties and it has no content for high level player. You are going to only do it once.
* Repetetive (visual) enemy design.
* Lack of deph due to a limited scope of endgame
You keep doing (mostly) one-map dungeons with a miniboss from singleplayer in the end. No meaningful new mechanics are introduced once you start doing those dungeons as you level up.
* Lack of difficulty once your build settles.

Perkel

Arcane
Many unity games literally disassemble into source code and you can easily hook up your own code into it with help of well-tested lib.

yes but whole file structure and how engine is handle is very mod unfriendly, unless developers themselves don't think about modders you are in for pain in ass. Usually to run mods you have to patch dlls and if you want to have multiple gamechanging mods you have to devise some sort of mod manager which community eventually came up with which you can use in for an example Pathfinder. Thankfully a lot of unity games developers think about modding. Cryengine on other hand is out of the box mod friendly unless developer will make choice to stop modding which they rarely. Usually in cryengine game you can patch game and mods will still work unlike something like unity where you need to patch dlls constantly.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Tried it out, got to level 70 so far. You really need to try to make this game difficult. I suspect almost everything multiplies with each other, so with very little investment you end up with a character that 1 shots almost everything. Might be a fun game with numerous bug fixes and a few balance passes on top of it, but right now it is a theme park.

PrettyDeadman

* Nice end game farmville-like timewaster city building minigame (feels a bit like a chore sometimes though).
pls elaborate
You build city in order to send expeditions which bring you loot (including farming materials, rare items and etc), do some minor character upgrades, do some additional crafting, transmog and stuff. Building stuff requires money and time resource, which you get by completing dungeons.

Reinhardt

Arcane
* Decent itemization.
I disagree. I'm in act 3 and still running with rare 2h sword from early act 2 and it's not even good. Just everything i get is even worse. Seriously - even checking items before selling them to vendor seems like waste of time. Everything is useless.

PrettyDeadman

* Decent itemization.
I disagree. I'm in act 3 and still running with rare 2h sword from early act 2 and it's not even good. Just everything i get is even worse. Seriously - even checking items before selling them to vendor seems like waste of time. Everything is useless.
Almost every dungeon mission I do I get an upgrade.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm with Reinhardt on this one. The itemization is dogshit and I haven't upgraded my gear since level 40 because all the supposedly level 60 gear I find is worse. That's 20 levels of nothing. Only thing I've changed are the gems.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Just edited save and added 1000 to every stat so i could just run through act 3 in one go and forget about this buggy abomination called "story mode".

EPIC character customization.
"Don't even THINK about that, kid."

Jokes aside I do like that they let you basically use whatever simple low-level skin you want, disable pauldrons, etc, and not have to suffer from it stat-wise. This was something that I quite liked in Guild Wars (functionality was a bit different - rather than a cosmetic overlay they just make it so every skin had an identically statted max level version and the differences were solely aesthetic) and I'm happy to see it here. Especially the disabling pauldrons part.

Gromlintroid

Learned
The more I play this, the more I feel like I'm playing Barb from D3.
I have Shout, Leap, Weapon Throw, Whirlwind etc etc.
Just hit an area that is basically Heaven from D3.
Also had a few bugs like invisible walls blocking my progress even after reloading the area, luckily there were multiple routes through that particular area.

abija

Prophet
But it's retarded barb that can't shout while moving/channeling skills, leap over any obstacle or between different heights.

Apparently more people finished the 3 acts without dying than killed the act 3 boss ???

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
this game looks great and everything looks good on paper but hearing you guys discuss it, among other concerns brought up elsewhere, makes me feel this should still be in early access.. I'll keep it wishlisted and see what people think by the summer sale

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom