Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games or genres you could never get into

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I tried to give JRPGs another try but I can't ignore the fact that the Ys franchise is not the norm but the exception when it comes to its focus on brisk gameplay over everything else.

Most JRPGs people recommend suffer from everything I don't like about the stereotypical JRPG: random encounters, lots of inane dialogue that goes on and on, unfunny "jokes", kiddie aesthetics. Child and teen protagonists are the worst, and expressionless mutes rule, especially in games with no party members (as it reduces the odds for terrible party banter).

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
MOBAs. I never felt so old as I felt when I tried to play Dota 2. Just could not get my mind around it.

Football Manager and similar hardcore management games. I have enjoyed my share of Sim Cities, Theme Hospitals and alike, but I just could never find joy in the more hardcore, spreadsheet heavy games like FM.

Military shooters. My father was a WWII veteran, I grew up in an environment where war was a very real memory and not a source of entertainment.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Silentstorm

Learned
To be fair, roguelikes or anything rogueish pretty much expects gamers to lose and try to make losing fun, after all, it means you learned something or are more experienced, and the next playthrough won't be the same but your experience will still help.

It also helps that they are single player for the most part, if you lose, you have no one to blame but yourself, in MOBAS or other online multiplayer games though?

You can meet annoying trolls or just terrible teammates and the quality of the game also partly depends on the people you play with, also, worst case scenario, you quickly meet people who are really damn good at the game and you spend 9 matches out of 10 getting brutally slaughtered by opponents and it takes someone who really enjoys losing to still insist on playing said multiplayer game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wasn't the RTS genre already dead before MOBAs as a full-blown genre (not just the initial mod) arrived?

Silentstorm

Learned
Wasn't the RTS genre already dead before MOBAs as a full-blown genre (not just the initial mod) arrived?
Yep, i think starting with the early 2000's, there was a sudden decrease in interest and popularity in the genre, RTS went from being a popular genre with popular series and games to something niche all out of nowhere, with only few rare exceptions coming out afterwards and having any measure of success.

It's worth noting that the RTS games people play the most are still the classic ones, and unlike other genres, it's not because of old games being better or more famous, it's because of that and there not being many options these days, there is just something about them that led to only a selective audience caring about them.

Sure, there are still RTS games being made every now and then, particularly indie, and sometimes they get some people to look at them, but no Grey Goo revitalized interest, nor did Starcraft 2, and Warcraft 3 Reforged is something not even worth mentioning.

I guess the classics are so good no one wants to try making a new entry or fans just keep playing the classics no matter what.

Codex Year of the Donut
RTS was a dead genre because of the focus on consoles in the early/mid-2000s, the same exact thing happened with CRPGs. Genres that don't translate well to consoles pretty much died.
nor did Starcraft 2,
What?
SC2 was insanely popular, it's one of the best selling video games of all time.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sure, but it didn't revitalize interest in the greater RTS genre
Because it simply can't be revitalized to what it once was. It's not a spectator-friendly genre therefore the competitive scene is forever dead. It's much easier to get people to watch hero shooters or assfaggots because they're ridiculously easier to follow than people who are insanely good at starcraft.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, that was what i meant to say, Starcraft 2 and any other RTS that had any kind of success after the early 00's ultimately failed to revitalize interest in a large scale, RTS fans mostly playing the same games, i think the closest thing we've gotten is Total War, and that's one series, and on Steam at least, Age Of Empires II still sells better than the most popular Total War game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just say...
Civs over the lowest difficulty settings. I just want to relax and let things unfold, and probably take over the world. I don't want to sit and think for minutes on my next move. But I still love Civs
Racing Games - unless I'm visiting someone and their kid needs someone to race. Otherwise I just don't care.
Sports Games - none of them. Last one I played was something like Head to Head Football.
City Builders/Sims - the concept intrigues me, but there is always a point where they go from fun to work. Then I quit.
Fighting Games - just never had the dexterity/dislike for lack of natural ability
Flying Games - eh, always knew I'd be better with a yoke and pedals, so I always got annoyed with keyboard and mouse. Remember playing 1942 or such and having people flying around ripping me a new one on the ground. Always thinking "Someday, you jerks, I'm buying some quality equipment..." but, that day never came and I just gave up on games involving flight.
ARPGs - played so much Diablo 2, I just can't go back to that. Couldn't finish Torchlight 1&2, think I finished Nox (which was the exception.) Finished Diablo 3 because I paid $50+ for it, but never played past Normal difficulty.

Alex

Arcane
Yeah, jrpgs are the worst. I remember enjoying the Midgar part of FF7 then going in the open world and having to fight every 5 seconds some random monsters. Deleted this shit immediately

Same for me. I can find enjoyment in almost any genre - RPG, strategy, simulation, adventure, FPS, platformer, heck even though I don't care about sports at all I could probably have some fun with a football management game, too.

But JRPGs? All the ones I tried were painfully linear, dialogues were all non-interactive cutscenes, there were just way too many cutscenes, encounters are mostly random encounters against generic mobs, there are way too many random encounters, and you have to grind a lot in order to progress.

Worst genre in existence.

I don't disagree, but if you want to try a JRPG that is actually worth your time, try Ogre Battle (although it is more of a tactics game).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Never cared for Wolfendooms even during the craze of the mid- to late-90s, and similarly never much liked Dunecrafts (though I did play two or three).

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's easier to list what i can tolerate - some tb tactic and rpg games, jrpgs, some japanese action games and some fightings. Everything else is shit.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
MMOs:
I tried, I really did, but I can feel my soul draining when I play them.
Everything about these games are so anti fun yet so many people like them, it boggles my mind.

One of my most traumatic game experiences in particular was playing lineage 2.
It's been ages so forgot the exact circumstances but was basically was with someone else and we farmed a mob of monsters for a bit, if I recall lineage 2 was pretty hardcore so levelling and earning money was a big deal and a slow grind. For like 4 hours we did this, I was hitting heights of depression I never knew was possible, despite being someone who can happily spend most of the day playing vidya if allowed to at 30+ years of age (apparently long past the age you're supposed to have grown out of it and are doomed to be a boring fuck only into socially acceptable things like cars and football) for the first time I actually felt like I was wasting my youth and I should be doing something more with my life.
The dude then cheerfully said "another 2 hours and we will have enough xp to level up :D". My heart sank harder then the first time a girl I asked out laughed in my face. I made my excuses and logged off never to return, I had to gtfo.

I've tried other mmos, from wow guild wars 2 to euh..The one where you could spawn wings and fly in certain areas..Aeon? well whatever.
The ONLY mmos I ever enjoyed were Warhammer Online and Kotor, and apparently the reason for that is they are considered shitty by mmo standards. And even then I still eventually moved on to other games rather then devote the bulk of my time to them like seems to be the norm with mmos. I crave variety and tend to bounce from game to game depending on my mood, the idea of one single game dominating my time as if I was married to it is completely alien to me yet seems to be what you have to sign up for with mmos.

Puukko

Arcane
I tried to give JRPGs another try but I can't ignore the fact that the Ys franchise is not the norm but the exception when it comes to its focus on brisk gameplay over everything else.

Most JRPGs people recommend suffer from everything I don't like about the stereotypical JRPG: random encounters, lots of inane dialogue that goes on and on, unfunny "jokes", kiddie aesthetics. Child and teen protagonists are the worst, and expressionless mutes rule, especially in games with no party members (as it reduces the odds for terrible party banter).
I'll agree on every other point except mute protagonists - I'd always rather have a proper character to play as. I have played a lot of JRPGs over the past year and I've consciously avoided the worst offenders in the cutesy kiddy category. Give me something gritty, or something beautiful, but not the bedtime stories in video game form with annoying mascots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom