Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
What's the point of wearing heavy legging? Seems like the enemy focused on head, torso, and arm most of the time.

None really as far as I could tell,I think I had to repair my padded leg armour 5 times at most during the entire game,you can probably finish the games just wearing some cool pants that increase charisma without any drawbacks and focus your money and weight on torso,arms and head

thesecret1

Arcane
Why does anyone even care that players might kill kids in the game? It's a video game, it's pixels on a screen, not actual kids.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Daniel Vavra at 1:19:51. Since there's no subtitles: anything interesting being discussed?

First they talk about Dan's lesser motivation to continue making games now that he has money to last ("games take way too fucking long to make and at this age you start thinking about how many can you make...in the time it took me to make 3 games Devin Townsend made like 15 albums"), he says he still enjoys making games but it just annoys the fuck outta him how long they take to make compared to other stuff like writing a book or a movie. Then they talk about Mythic Quest TV show, mostly criticizing it for being unrealistic. Dan only saw three episodes though.

Personally I went into Mythic Quest expecting an over the top sitcom and not a documentary, so I enjoyed the shit out of it.

Quillon

Arcane
We know the story of KCD but why it took that long for Mafia 2? Like 8 years or so... back then game's were made much quicker too.

ADL

Prophet
We know the story of KCD but why it took that long for Mafia 2? Like 8 years or so... back then game's were made much quicker too.
If I recall correctly, it took a while to get greenlit. Also loads of cut content.
https://mafiagame.fandom.com/wiki/Cut_Content

I'm gonna miss the dude if he retires. One of the few game designers I follow with interest as he's produced two of my favorite games ever (Mafia+KCD).

Paul_cz

Arcane
There were few clusterfucks, most important:

- internal LS3D engine was completely unsuitable for consoles
- Illusion tested third party engines and went with Renderware
- Renderware got bought by EA and they stopped licensing, so Illusion was SOL
- Decision came to make the game instead for next gen consoles and build new next gen engine from scratch
- Making engines is fucking hard

Quillon

Arcane
At the time Mafia 2 & Alan Wake were among my most anticipated games; one took 8 the other 7 years of development and both were disappointments to some extend, plus Alan Wake was xbox exclusive for a year or so. By then I've lost interest in action games. In the same time span & era Obsidian released 5 games and cancelled some too :P

Also writing a fucking book could take too long too... fucking GRRM.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It kinda bugs me that almost every activity in the game is illegal and there is no benefit in declining those activities. Now, i don't have issues with "missing on content", but you can't even snitch on those thieves. And each of those illegal activities become worse and worse as you progress (just like Matthew and Fritz questline, except you can actually snitch on them).

A whore asks you to steal something:
- "one guy slept with me and then refused to pay, steal his money" - ok, i guess it's a right thing to do;
- "i gave my shawl to some woman in exchange for food, but now i want my shawl back" - well that's kinda sketchy but eh - free experience;
- "steal my ex-husband's dagger and a key so i could take my revenge and gut them like pigs" - alright that's enough, i'm calling the police.

Peshek asks you to steal something:
- "steal dead dude's ring! - ok, it's not like he's going to miss it;
- "steal a land deed" - ok, why would i care, i don't even know that guy;
- "steal sir Hanush's illustrated book" - i won't steal from my liege, i'm calling the police!

Alex wants you to bag some game:
- "oh, help your poor skalitz friends, we're starving, bring us some hare meat" - i'm on my way;
- "local merchant wants some boar meat" - dunno why am i poaching for some merchant but ok;
- "would you kindly bag us some fine venison, now chop chop henry boy" - that's it, i'm calling the police!

hired hand from Sasau:
- "steal an amulet from herbalist" - ok
- "steal a shawl from some girl" - ok
- "steal a tinderbox from a draper so i could burn a farmhouse and blame him" - wtf are you for real

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Master huntsman of Talmberg asks you to catch poachers.
Talmberg tanner asks you to poach some boars and bring him boar skin.

You can't snitch on tanner.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep, that is one of my main problems too with the game. The protagonist is just too much of a nice guy to be able to do all the evil shit you can do in the game. It's a hell of a disconnect murdering someone in their sleep, and then moments later watch Henry being charmingly awkward. All the story heavy crime -esque games from Vavra has the same problem.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, the lack of alternative routes in quests feels a bit restricting. But i guess it was a budget issue, though i'd *really* *really* *really* prefer if instead of making a seamless open world with 80% being made of emptiness and "interesting places", they'd use the early Fallout approach of abstracting away the uninteresting stuff between the major locations in a worldmap with random encounters (you do get that thing when fast traveling anyway). That would probably leave some budget for spending time on making a few alternative quest routes (or maybe not, i don't know how many different hats people at Warhorse wore).

What feels even more restricting and bothers me a lot, though, is the lack of free saves. I know i already mentioned this, but combined with how buggy the game seems to be and the cumbersome combat (i never liked when games try to pretend pressing more keys or moving the mouse in some way has any resemblance in what you'd do in real life to perform the same actions on screen - the only time that worked for me was in Frictional Games' games and that was because it was the only time when that mouse movement actually *does* feel very similar to what you'd do), it is a recipe for disaster.

Example that just happened: i went to ask Theresa out for a walk (the game saves at that point), then went though the interactive cutscene for that walk (as a sidenote, it looks like NPCs aren't susceptible to the same stamina rules like Henry is), then since i had spent a ton of money on fixing my armor i decided to pick some herbs (that looks to be one of the safest ways to raise money, though not much) and i spend a bit of time doing that, then i thought to try and hunt for some game for a quest, so i try to fast travel towards Rovna because it is closest to woods and the other fast travel points (at least those i have discovered) are in cities that take some time to walk outside of (i *really* dislike walking around unnecessarily, especially when nothing happens). A random encounter with "some armed peasants, what could they want?" which i try to avoid because chances are what they want is to annoy me with the game's cumbersome combat, but i fail, so cumbersome combat it is. Except it isn't because one of the peasants had a spear that he wasn't afraid to use, so i attempted to turn around and flee but as i turned around a dog that was with them attacks me which sends the camera into a fast endless spin, pushes me downside towards "something" (the camera was spinning, i couldn't see), then i get stuck and die because of a combo of camera spin and fast attacks. So, i reload and guess what, the last saved game was right before i asked Theresa. Ragequit right there.

So how would free saving solve any of the above? Well, it wouldn't, but i tend to quicksave after every unpleasant part of a game (and before any potentially unpleasant part, based on experience with previous unpleasant parts when playing that or similar games) so if something happens i wont have to play through that part again. I don't mind jank, i don't mind bugs and i can have fun with a game despite its cumbersome combat (assuming i can avoid or find a way to overpower the enemies so that it doesn't last long), but when the game forces me to go through all that through a decision that it has been shown again and again at the past that creates annoyances, i have a hard time ignoring other issues too.

Which is a shame because the game has a lot of positives and does things i really like. I'll continue playing it because of those, but i have a feeling i'll eventually drop it because all the negatives it has grinds my patience away (negatives that are largely centered around wasting time doing things that would look neat the first couple of times and tiring the next 10000+ times or around being cumbersome for the sake of being cumbersome - not just in combat). It is a game i want to like (...especially after spending the money to buy the Royal edition :-P), but every time i manage to get into the flow and get immersed, something happens that takes me out of it.

Anyway, i hope i'll get used to those issues. Rant over :-P.

(it may sound i am just complaining and don't like the game because i focus on the negatives, but i *do* enjoy the game - it is because of that the negatives stick out to me as much as they do)

I like the game so far, I really do, but there are some things I find strange: I decided to go back to Talmberg and arrived during the night. Gates were open in the middle of the night, I could march straight to the lord's quarters and into the room of his lady without anybody holding me back or even noticing me. I found that to be a bit disappointing, to be honest.

What feels even more restricting and bothers me a lot, though, is the lack of free saves. I know i already mentioned this, but combined with how buggy the game seems to be and the cumbersome combat (i never liked when games try to pretend pressing more keys or moving the mouse in some way has any resemblance in what you'd do in real life to perform the same actions on screen - the only time that worked for me was in Frictional Games' games and that was because it was the only time when that mouse movement actually *does* feel very similar to what you'd do), it is a recipe for disaster.

I never even bothered to try playing without unlimited saving mod. Janky open world RPG with limited saves? lol nope. As if these games aren't long enough already.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Saving was never a problem savior schnapps were easy enough to make and every tavern had at least 5 of them to buy and you are never want for money if you visit merchants to offload winnings. Wouldn't even call the system limited either was not like resident evil typewriter ribbons or silver one use save points. This fear of the saving system is kind of equivalent to some people being unwilling to play Fallout 1 because it had a time limit, id est retarded.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It kinda bugs me that almost every activity in the game is illegal and there is no benefit in declining those activities. Now, i don't have issues with "missing on content", but you can't even snitch on those thieves. And each of those illegal activities become worse and worse as you progress (just like Matthew and Fritz questline, except you can actually snitch on them).
Yes, I tried to be good so I only helped the old whore and it ended as I expected. Never did the others, what they wanted sounded sketchy from the onset.

Tigranes

Arcane
I remember I could save a pretty reasonable amount with the schnapps without really trying hard at alchemy or whatever.

But even though it wasn't a big problem, I'd agree that in a big open world game with its share of bugs and jank, the smarter option is free saving. Schnapps weren't horrible but they didn't add a huge amount either.

One day I'll get back to this, I enjoyed my first run before bugging out & tiring out at the Monastery. It's just a very slow-paced story-driven game especially at the start, so you really need a couple years before replaying.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1. For a player to make them, that means investing xp in a skill they migth not want to.
2. They are not exactly cheap. You can buy/repair multiple pieces of equipment for the amount they're worth, and if you are trying to save up for a more important purchase it's significant setback.
3. It's a chore having to keep track of a dumb resource in such big, open games were you already have to manage more important tasks and gameplay aspects, just to be able to do something as basic as saving.
4. The whole penalty system means that you have to use them very sparsingly. And considering players can easily take up to 1 hour to complete some of the quests, it's not uncommon for failure to result in having to repeat almost an hour long of content.
5. Finally, there are far more effective ways to prevent save scumming than such a convoluted manner.

Also the comparasion to the old RE games is inappropriate, as those games take place in a very small physical space. Plus you can complete them in 3/4 hours if you know what you're doing - while the prologue of this game alone lasts for 5 hours. When you put that into perspective, you realise number of possible saves is in fact quite generous.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the point i am in the game, they are very expensive (i just managed to have ~500g by lucking out a skirmish encounter with soldiers preferring to turn into each other, managing to loot a corpse and getting the pathfinding of solder(s?) that came after me to glitch long enough for me to run away far enough so they give up).

But if it is indeed the case that later buying schnapps is cheap, then what is the point of including them in the first place? They are a PITA when you begin the game and busywork later on. I am trying to brew them, but the brewing minigame is a chore so i only brew 2 or 3 since there is nothing fun about it, you just mechanically click around. I'd rather have it done automatically with a chance to fail depending on your character's skills (...which IMO would be a better solution for other things in the game too), than this. AFAIK later in the game you get an "autobrowing" option (not sure if it is for all potions though), which makes me wonder, if they know that people would be bored of the minigame to add a way to skip it, why did they add a boring minigame in the first place?

For now the most convenient way to save is to simply try and find a bed and sleep (but there is always a chance for a random encounter that kills me if i'm not close enough and often the moment i want to save is the moment i want to avoid getting killed and having to repeat a section - an issue exacerbated from me putting off saving due to its chore-ish nature).

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
When the evil old bastard miller "asked" me to embark on a life of crime I tried to turn him in. When I couldn't do that, I tried to decapitate him in his sleep. Tragically impossible(makes no sense why, he's not needed for anything) .

It's a real shame though, so many goofballs who are used to mindlessly doing everything they are told in games go and get caught stealing from the executioner, and end up murdering one of the game's most interesting and sympathetic characters.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I agree with the 'why so limited option in solving quests' complaints.
But I can't agree with the 'limited save'
It's a problem at the start - but once you get the lay of the land it stopped being a problem for me.
Inns are cheap enough to rest in and give you a storage locker to stash whatever you don't need and sell later.
The Savior Schnapps are exclusively for use in the wild to prep before the fight.
But let's not stop Alchemy use there. You said you have 500 coins, with that you can buy one dose each of alchemy potions from shops and they're VERY effective.
Buck's Blood gives you +50% Max Stamina. That's a lot of swings you can do before having to stop.
Artemesia is a flat +5 STR & Warfare for added damage.
Aqua Vitae reduces incoming damage by 50% making poor armor less of an issue.

If you ask me, I'd just save money by salvaging armor while using the saved up cash for alchemy recipes because they're really cheap to make once you know the recipe.
And if you think it's tedious to only get one dose from brewing it, don't worry - at rank 4 Alchemy you start getting 2 doses per brew.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, the lack of alternative routes in quests feels a bit restricting. But i guess it was a budget issue, though i'd *really* *really* *really* prefer if instead of making a seamless open world with 80% being made of emptiness and "interesting places", they'd use the early Fallout approach of abstracting away the uninteresting stuff between the major locations in a worldmap with random encounters (you do get that thing when fast traveling anyway). That would probably leave some budget for spending time on making a few alternative quest routes (or maybe not, i don't know how many different hats people at Warhorse wore).
Hub-based. ish.
The most ridiculous part of open-world games is that they opt to include a fast travel anyways. Welp, we spent all that time creating a massive world… now let's just give players an option to completely skip over it.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hardcore mode disables fast travel and drives newcomer nuts with no map marker to indicate the player location and the absence of compass labels.

Anyway, take potions. They're good for you.
Post battle report
Was ambushed by 4 Cumans, luckily my horse courage is pretty high, so it doesn't throw me off.

QitHwic.jpg

Rode past them, drank all the potions I need, turn back and the first riposte takes out one instantly (god bless Warhammer). The other 3 is a bit tricky since 2 are archers. I took cover behind wagon and finished the melee off before bonking the archers one by one.

Barely minutes later, 4 Cumans v 4 Bandits
FpyphFk.jpg

Not gonna chance it. Managed to bait one high-tier bandit into a 1 v 1. Lost around 50 HP and bleeding before he fell down to 4 hits to the head. Got some high tier pieces off him and a Ceremonial Mace (STR13) Good shit.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Smejki was the game originally written in Czech and then translated to English, or was it written in English and then translated to Czech?

I wonder what came first - Henry or Jindrich.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom