Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Bara

Arcane
I am now more appreciative of Last Epoch's choice to test everything out in phases.

The choice to limit the content in early access was a bad one

Sykar

Arcane
* Decent itemization.
I disagree. I'm in act 3 and still running with rare 2h sword from early act 2 and it's not even good. Just everything i get is even worse. Seriously - even checking items before selling them to vendor seems like waste of time. Everything is useless.
I'm with Reinhardt on this one. The itemization is dogshit and I haven't upgraded my gear since level 40 because all the supposedly level 60 gear I find is worse. That's 20 levels of nothing. Only thing I've changed are the gems.

What the actual fuck, that happens in EVERY damn hack and slash game. This happened to me during playthroughs in D1, D2, D3, Titan Quest, Torchlight 1+2, PoE, GD and Sacred 1+2. Fucking non argument, in fact it is worse in some of those games because you get a lot more loot than in Wolcen that is still worthless garbage.

Bara

Arcane
Eh I already finish the game and I'm only playing in offline mode.

I'm sure my inventory will some how get reset again anyhow.

Reinhardt

Arcane
in fact it is worse in some of those games because you get a lot more loot than in Wolcen that is still worthless garbage.
Nigga, i have to run to the city and sell inventory full of yellow stuff at least once on every location. Wolcen drops LOTS of loot. It's just all boring and useless.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So far I think Grim Dawn is much better, but Wolcen is pretty decent. I'd probably put my enjoyment of it above POE. It has a lot of potential, but I don't like how it tries to be a marriage between D3/POE instead of doing something different and standing on its own. I also really don't care for the dodge roll, I find that shit clunky in a game like this.

I am at the point now though where I wish this particular subgenre got a lot more innovation and creativity. So many of them play it safe that they start to all blend together. Wolcen to me is a good game right now, but what is this game going to really do in the grand scheme of things? It's just another Diablo clone that currently is flavor of the month due to streamer shilling culture. Will people remember this six months from now?

Sykar

Arcane
in fact it is worse in some of those games because you get a lot more loot than in Wolcen that is still worthless garbage.
Nigga, i have to run to the city and sell inventory full of yellow stuff at least once on every location. Wolcen drops LOTS of loot. It's just all boring and useless.

Same shit everywere at the beginning until you have enough currency. If you have bad drop luck then PoE is worse with its idiotic Chaos recipe.

Reinhardt

Arcane
They even managed to make just selling stuff annoying because it blocks half of your inventory when you hover cursor over any item and half of the time rmb click doesn't register.

abija

Prophet
What the actual fuck, that happens in EVERY damn hack and slash game. This happened to me during playthroughs in D1, D2, D3, Titan Quest, Torchlight 1+2, PoE, GD and Sacred 1+2. Fucking non argument, in fact it is worse in some of those games because you get a lot more loot than in Wolcen that is still worthless garbage.
Those exact scenarios are almost impossible in D3 (due to the very formulaic rares and that most of loot will drop with your main stats) and very rare in PoE early game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
* Decent itemization.
I disagree. I'm in act 3 and still running with rare 2h sword from early act 2 and it's not even good. Just everything i get is even worse. Seriously - even checking items before selling them to vendor seems like waste of time. Everything is useless.
I'm with Reinhardt on this one. The itemization is dogshit and I haven't upgraded my gear since level 40 because all the supposedly level 60 gear I find is worse. That's 20 levels of nothing. Only thing I've changed are the gems.

You're wrong with this post. Let me elaborate:

Most of the games you mentioned have areas or bosses designed to be farmed for loot, with an almost 100% guarantee that you'll find items of the highest rarity. In Diablo 1 you even have deterministic unique items depending on what quests you've rolled for. In most recent ARPGs there are also uber bosses who are guaranteed to drop items of the highest rarity. But in Wolcen? Even the Uber bosses drop nothing at all. The vid below shows the reaction of a player who went through all the trouble to kill the final uber boss of Wolcen and how his efforts were rewarded with.. nothing.

If you're going to make a hamster wheel gear treadmill then you better make sure that the loot is both exciting and frequent enough to keep players hooked. Otherwise they will get bored. Wolcen has lots of item drops too, that's not the issue. The issue is that like in PoE most of it is garbage, and even when you do find something good, it's not all that interesting.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I like the game, it’s pretty addictive and fun. But I agree all of the Diablo like games are sort of the same.

Has there been an attempt in other games to make combat more slow and tactical, like a top down dark souls/bloodborne/DD?

Sykar

Arcane
* Decent itemization.

You're wrong with this post. Let me elaborate:

Most of the games you mentioned have areas or bosses designed to be farmed for loot, with an almost 100% guarantee that you'll find items of the highest rarity. In Diablo 1 you even have deterministic unique items depending on what quests you've rolled for. In most recent ARPGs there are also uber bosses who are guaranteed to drop items of the highest rarity. But in Wolcen? Even the Uber bosses drop nothing at all. The vid below shows the reaction of a player who went through all the trouble to kill the final uber boss of Wolcen and how his efforts were rewarded with.. nothing.

If you're going to make a hamster wheel gear treadmill then you better make sure that the loot is both exciting and frequent enough to keep players hooked. Otherwise they will get bored. Wolcen has lots of item drops too, that's not the issue. The issue is that like in PoE most of it is garbage, and even when you do find something good, it's not all that interesting.

Most of these uniques are obsolete after the first playhtough and most of them are worthless for the individual character. Griswold's Edge on Sorcerer or Rouge? Harlequin's Crest on Warrior or Rogue? Pff. The only decent uniques for all 3 character classes where Arkaine's Valor and Veil of Steel, though the former becomes obsolete fairly quickly already on first playthrough. Both are random though and you can easily not get either.
Yeah so what about the drop from that boss? I got 4 Stamina potions from Duriel as quest kill. Bosses frequently drop blues and whites all over. Nothing new under the sun.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most of these uniques are obsolete after the first playhtough and most of them are worthless for the individual character. Griswold's Edge on Sorcerer or Rouge? Harlequin's Crest on Warrior or Rogue? Pff. The only decent uniques for all 3 character classes where Arkaine's Valor and Veil of Steel, though the former becomes obsolete fairly quickly already on first playthrough. Both are random though and you can easily not get either.
Yeah so what about the drop from that boss? I got 4 Stamina potions from Duriel as quest kill. Bosses frequently drop blues and whites all over. Nothing new under the sun.

Talk about a non argument. So? No one is asking that every piece of loot should be always good for your character. Just good loot in general is nice, because it gives you an inspiration to think of new character builds to try out. Again, in Wolcen you're not getting good loot for yourself or future characters. It's all bland crap heightened by the fact that there's nothing out there to farm for guaranteed drops.

Made it to act 3 finally after multiple server disconnects and game crashes. Not much to praise about the game outside of its graphics and the way the passive tree functions with moveable parts, on the other hand the movement/targeting and game play feel clunky compared to PoE or Grim Dawn. I still think it has potential I'll probably check back in on the game in a year or so and see how they improve it.

Sykar

Arcane

Talk about a non argument. So? No one is asking that every piece of loot should be always good for your character. Just good loot in general is nice, because it gives you an inspiration to think of new character builds to try out. Again, in Wolcen you're not getting good loot for yourself or future characters. It's all bland crap heightened by the fact that there's nothing out there to farm for guaranteed drops.

What? The initial complaint was whether the loot is an upgrade or not. What does it matter if the items is "exciting" when it is literally useless for my character and I have long given up on collecting every garbage unique in hopes I might in the distant future use it on another. Most of the time it just collects dust in the shared stash.
I get plenty of character ideas just from looking at the damn passive tree no need for uniques and I know that there are game changing unique items out there like two handed sword that lets you cast lightning spells or a shield that lets you cast holy spells.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Most of the time it just collects dust in the shared stash.
And in Wolcen there is nothing worthy to even put in shared stash. THAT'S the problem. Everything is vendor trash. I tried to store some "decent" low level items at first but then it became clear i will just find exact same boring shit on new character. +-1% to some stat. You are never exited about your loot here. And for this genre it's fail.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How does a unique in Wolcen look like in terms of itemization? Is it purely +/- damage increases or does it have more interesting modifiers?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

What? The initial complaint was whether the loot is an upgrade or not. What does it matter if the items is "exciting" when it is literally useless for my character and I have long given up on collecting every garbage unique in hopes I might in the distant future use it on another. Most of the time it just collects dust in the shared stash.
I get plenty of character ideas just from looking at the damn passive tree no need for uniques and I know that there are game changing unique items out there like two handed sword that lets you cast lightning spells or a shield that lets you cast holy spells.
Because upgrades are also exciting. Also nice argument, "I don't like to collect loot therefore no one else should care to do it either" huh?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

POE showers you with loot, so does D3 and grim dawn. Argument defeated.

Itemization is just as shit as the other games, so not sure why wolcen is worse in that regard,

Sykar

Arcane
POE showers you with loot, so does D3 and grim dawn. Argument defeated.
Wolcen showers you with completely useless loot. So your argument defeated long ago.

Bullshit. Watch any PoE streamer or D3 streamer and watch them how they ignore 99% of all loot, including uniques and set items and the few they pick up are nothing more than miniscule upgrades over what they are already wearing. Your argument is utter garbage.

How does a unique in Wolcen look like in terms of itemization? Is it purely +/- damage increases or does it have more interesting modifiers?

At least some have literally unique properties like making you CC immune or let you use abilities you would normally not allowed to use with said weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom