Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Incidentally and out of curiosity, did you also object to Kingdom Come: Deliverance being priced at $50 on release?
A game that costed 36 million to make. I reckon Bannerlord is positioned more or less within the same range.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-come-deliverance/kingdom-come-deliverance-cost-budget
While interesting, the cost to make something only justifies the price in the minds of idiots. Everything is worth what a purchaser will pay for. To oversimplify things a bit, price is a generally function of supply and demand, or just demand for digital goods with infinite supply. If there's enough demand for your game to sell at a higher price, you really, really should ask for that higher price even if it costed you little to make it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
IMG_20200219_131403.jpg

To announce that the release date is postponed?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What the actual fuck? $50? I know they can probably afford to milk it, since the game is popular enough to be picked by AAA crowd where it's still <$60, but they will loose shitloads of potential sales to piracy in Eastern Europe, where they had a substantial fanbase. I know "IT'S M&B WOLOLO" and will probably amount of hundreds of hours of gameplay, but honestly I thought people from Turkey would be more sensible to indie pricing reality being past the times of slapping AA prices and wishing for the best.
Basic economics. When you have people willing to buy your product at $50 and you price it at, say, $20, you're leaving money on the table. They no longer need the networking effect of a low price and more sales at release to market their game. The price WILL get lower, and the game WILL be deeply discounted so that everyone can buy at their preferred price point. Those Eastern Europoors will just have to not buy on release if they value their vodka budget more than this game's asking price. My appreciation for the Turks' business acumen has measurably gone up, and I'm sure more (smart) indie devs wish they could price their game like that without burying it.

For a release of this size, 50$ is more or less what you would consider adequate.

Not everyone will get it right away, and others will pirate it. Considering that M&B sold for over 10 years, they can live with that.

Incidentally and out of curiosity, did you also object to Kingdom Come: Deliverance being priced at $50 on release?

I got it for 30$ since I was a KS sucker. I greatly minded it being dumbed down popamole but the pricing was all right.

dehimos

Augur
A high price from the beginning is only for one thing: economic crisis.

Many newspapers and liberals talking about a new crisis by the end of 2020. That's why there are so many games coming out this year.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Nonsense, the pricing in USD, Euros or Pounds will have similar impact regardless. If anything the devaluing of the Turkish lira should be able to lead to cheaper game. However I assume Taleworlds will allow regional pricing anyway and the game will likely be cheaper in weaker economies.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Now I can patiently start the wait for Berserk mode. Watching Taleworlds and Miura develop/write their worlds is akin to snail race with endless obstacles. I'm 25, afraid I won't make it
:baka:

Dakka

Savant
Now I can patiently start the wait for Berserk mode. Watching Taleworlds and Miura develop/write their worlds is akin to snail race with endless obstacles. I'm 25, afraid I won't make it
:baka:
I can already feel my blood pressure rising.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the actual fuck? $50? I know they can probably afford to milk it, since the game is popular enough to be picked by AAA crowd where it's still <$60, but they will loose shitloads of potential sales to piracy in Eastern Europe, where they had a substantial fanbase. I know "IT'S M&B WOLOLO" and will probably amount of hundreds of hours of gameplay, but honestly I thought people from Turkey would be more sensible to indie pricing reality being past the times of slapping AA prices and wishing for the best.

Steam has regional pricing though.

My issue with the pricing of $50 USD is that it's an Early Access game... they could have set it at like 30-40 and raise the price at launch or after several updates like most EA games.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Steam has regional pricing though.

My issue with the pricing of $50 USD is that it's an Early Access game... they could have set it at like 30-40 and raise the price at launch or after several updates like most EA games.
But why would they do that? Most early access games offer a discount in order to encourage people to buy into an unknown product with an uncertain future. But M&B already has an established fanbase who are hungry for more, so offering a EA discount would just mean that all the core fans pay less than they otherwise would.
Unless the EA is an unplayable buggy mess Bannerlord is going to sell well at the 50$ price point, so a discount would just be leaving money on the table.

Anyone who thinks that 50 is too expensive for an early access game can just wait 6-18 months and pay the same amount for the finished product.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I recall buying the original Mount and Blade beta for like 8 bucks or something absurd. Would be silly for me to complain about them taking advantage of Bannerlord's hype. They aren't a single digit indie dev anymore, the price isn't surprising at all.

Also be honest, most of the posters in this thread probably dropped hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours in MB and will do the same with Bannerlord.

vota DC

Augur
Nonsense, the pricing in USD, Euros or Pounds will have similar impact regardless. If anything the devaluing of the Turkish lira should be able to lead to cheaper game. However I assume Taleworlds will allow regional pricing anyway and the game will likely be cheaper in weaker economies.

Regional prices confirmed.
No idea why $=€ since € is bigger. Not much difference but should cost one pound less and three euros less.

Renevent

Cipher
I have no problem with the price, they are filling a pretty niche genre and their last game didn't disappoint.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Keep in mind it'll probably go on sale before it actually comes out of Early Access. Might drop as low as $35 or so during big holiday sales.

Latelistener

Arcane
The pricing is critical simply because you can torrent it day 1 and they missed the sweet spot I think. You can put a game a bit cheaper but make up for it by selling more. You won't even need a discount if the price is right.

For Bannerlord, $45 would be an upper ceiling, since $50 is where AAA is, but they're using fanboys and the hype they created so they could get away with it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's a beloved Eastern European title, and will get absolutely slaughtered by piracy here given the price. Very little people will wait for the price drop, and the pirated custom installer version will quickly become a commodity like a HOMM3 DVD. The people that will get their hands on it for free are probably customers lost virtually forever, because they won't dish more than ~$2 for a Golden Classic Ed. 10 years from now, for a game they had for years already. Prices need to be adjusted for maximum earnings altogether, and I'd argue selling it for $30 would have sold well over twice as much copies as $50. Regional pricing remains to be seen, but somehow I'm not really counting on that.

As for KCD, being Czech, just like their former studio's Bohemia Interactive games, the title was regionally priced at about $30, so I couldn't care less for people that got cucked for $50. Plus I had it pre-ordered from the very start.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
KCD is a 1-2 playthrough game tbh unlike Mount and Blade

I doubt Taleworlds gives two shits about Eastern European poorfags when they're on the front page of Steam. Pirates are going to pirate regardless

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom