Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Items in D:OS2 were really dull. None of them inspired builds, like some Diablo uniques might. They were all just stat sticks.
At least in D&D games a weapon is also its type, not just its quality. You might keep your shittier sword over replacing it with a mace, because of your specialization. Items in D:OS2 especially were like condoms, I had zero attachment to any of them. At one point I was keeping the Tyrant set pieces, because I like the idea, but it was just a very bad set and I never ended up using it.
Hopefully they introduce some unique loot in this game, with unique qualities to it. The few "unique" qualities on D:OS2 armor, like something that gives you immune to stun, or a big cleave, had a bit more staying power than the generic +2 to Warfare swords. At least have that.

Pretty fucking stupid if they won't get that BG1 and 2 are liked by the fanbase partially because of the itemization. One of the big reasons why I quit DOS 1 and never picked up the sequel is the retarded "MMO" loot, the itemization was even worse than Pillars of Eternity.
What makes you think this game is being made with the BG1 and 2 fanbase in mind?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
BG1 and BG2's fanbase is small, and very cynical and bitter. Targeting them will result in a bad commercial product. Not all of them will buy, many will trash it, and there aren't that many potential costumers to begin with.
Divinity currently has a larger fanbase than Baldur's Gate, and more motivated to buy and forgive mistakes. Less cynical. So this will probably be a Larian game set in the Baldur's Gate timeline, rather than a Baldur's Gate game. So to speak.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG1 and BG2's fanbase is small, and very cynical and bitter. Targeting them will result in a bad commercial product. Not all of them will buy, many will trash it, and there aren't that many potential costumers to begin with.
Divinity currently has a larger fanbase than Baldur's Gate, and more motivated to buy and forgive mistakes. Less cynical. So this will probably be a Larian game set in the Baldur's Gate timeline, rather than a Baldur's Gate game. So to speak.

This is probably true, but "Larian game" doesn't necessarily mean "Divinity Original Sin clone". When this game was announced, I suggested that Swen might be aiming to use it to develop the technology for Larian's next generation of homegrown IPs, including the long-awaited sequel to Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

agris

Arcane
Patron

This is probably true, but "Larian game" doesn't necessarily mean "Divinity Original Sin clone". When this game was announced, I suggested that Swen might be aiming to use it to develop the technology for Larian's next generation of homegrown IPs, including the long-awaited sequel to Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

...which is a TPP aRPG.

Elex

Arbiter
D&D 5e have a lot less magic item loot than older edition.

Attunement is the limit.
A character can be attuned to max 3 item.

A simple +1 weapon don’t require attunement.

but a vorpal or a flametounge yes.

a +1 armor: no attunment, a fire resistance armor require attunement.

Capes belts rings wandsetc etc are going to require attunement (unless it’s have a minor magical effect).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Swen isn't a heretic enough to make Baldur's Gate a third person action game. Especially since he negotiated a lot with Wizards, and ninja'd the project from Beamdog. To me it is obvious it will be a cRPG, with a party you control from above.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am feeling some Dark Alliance vibes here... By the way BG: DA is pure incline when compared to Diablo 3 and other more recent looters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen isn't a heretic enough to make Baldur's Gate a third person action game. Especially since he negotiated a lot with Wizards, and ninja'd the project from Beamdog. To me it is obvious it will be a cRPG, with a party you control from above.

Sure, and it's also obvious that if Larian ever make a sequel to Divinity 2, it will have to incorporate elements from the Original Sin series as well.

D&D 5e have a lot less magic item loot than older edition.

Attunement is the limit.
A character can be attuned to max 3 item.

A simple +1 weapon don’t require attunement.

but a vorpal or a flametounge yes.

a +1 armor: no attunment, a fire resistance armor require attunement.

Capes belts rings wandsetc etc are going to require attunement (unless it’s have a minor magical effect).

Jesus....

Elex

Arbiter
The hard part of 5e is adapting to the lower numbers.

at lvl 1 a fighter with 16 str have a +5 to hit. (unless you roll the stats and start with 18+2=20)

at lvl 20 with 20 str (the max for a character unless a barbarian or magical items) have +11 to hit.

also in 5e all bonus stack, so they have to limit the number of items you can use.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/magic-items

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
350 people and high production values don't matter if you can't add day\night cycles and Npc schedules because "we feel there is no room for that", as happened with the most beloved high tier Divinity 1 e 2 Cprgs.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From a business point of view, if even half of those 350 people work in-house, there has never been an isometric RPG with such a budget. So if they do that, they are certainly taking a risk.

The big budget "RPG's" are mostly third-person, though if they do something like a zoom-out to tactical perspective and turn-based combat - I guess that would be okay. And it's certainly something that no other big budget title has done so far.

Gyor

Savant
From a business point of view, if even half of those 350 people work in-house, there has never been an isometric RPG with such a budget. So if they do that, they are certainly taking a risk.

The big budget "RPG's" are mostly third-person, though if they do something like a zoom-out to tactical perspective and turn-based combat - I guess that would be okay. And it's certainly something that no other big budget title has done so far.

Over 200 are in house split between studios in Belgium, Ireland, Canada, Russia, and Malaysia, which allows them to be working on the game literally 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom