Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
ETgWiAnWsAIOnQ-

probably now is the right time to release other two campaigns finally finish the Haruspex campaign!

Wunderbar

Arcane
This is the perfect opportunity to market the game as a "survive an epidemy simulator" and put it on 33% sale.
But tinybuild gonna tinybuild

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
New interview by big D. He says he "almost found the right angle to show the story of Bachelor and Clara".

Edit: also a couple of details about upcoming Franz. Mobile, small, creepypasta inspired, but "more similar to Pathologic in spirit than to Knock-Knock". Whatever that means. Will be announced in summer.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Graphics dont matter to me though, whats the gameplay like?

More or less the same. Think of it as of two productions of the same play, decades apart. First is more old school theatrical, the second have 1080p and awesome graphics and also some meta commentary about 1st.

Probably the most important info for you: there are 3 campaigns in p1, only one in p2 (unclear when we'll get the rest).

prengle

Savant
I'd give them some money to see the other scenarios. Path 2 is fucking fantastic.

I'd be surprised if it was a viable option, though.

Which is better, Path 1 or 2? Never played the series
pathologic 2 is objectively a better game than the original in almost every single way, technically, and it's ice-pick at their most refined - but i dont think it entirely replaces pathologic 1. the original game's not only fascinating for being the first game ice-pick ever put out on a trademark russian shoestring budget (actually it really was the first game that most of the devs physically worked on, including nikolay), the narrative is probably the most compelling ive ever seen in a game, the dialogue is thick and dense and absolutely fucking insane on occasion but at the same time its very poetic, and while the actual in-game assets are all over the place in terms of quality it has such a powerful fucking aesthetic that it still holds its own graphically imo

gameplay-wise, if someone forced me to slap a genre label onto pathologic 1 (and 2, by extension) at gunpoint i would call it a survival adventure game. if you want Baby's First Pathologic Gameplay Explanation i would say its like a combination between an old school visual novel where you're talking to npcs during quests and dealing with their personal ideologies and biases and relationships with other characters in town, a hardcore survival game where youre walking from place to place (no it is not a walking sim.) throughout the town and trying to manage your incredibly fragile stats and inventory, a trading simulator where you give aphex twin clones bottles of water in exchange for band-aids and the time system from majora's mask (the npcs and quests are less dynamic and you cant warp back to day 1 with the song of time... the clock's always ticking, motherfucker). its simultaneously compelling as fuck and the most draining game ive ever played

i could probably gush about it for hours on end if you caught me at the right (or wrong) time but whatever, they're both ridiculously good games and for me pathologic 1 manages to fall into that rare but special category of games that claws its way into my brain and refuses to leave my subconscious for months at a time. it's the kind of game that you either adore or drop after 5 minutes so you can call it gay on the internet. if you have less patience for low budget russian jank i would just recommend playing pathologic 2 instead but it's worth keeping in mind that the original has all three playable characters/routes in it while pathologic 2 only has the haruspex's route right now. its generally agreed upon that pathologic's routes are really good complete stories on their own but you don't really get a complete sense of the entire story unless you play all three routes.

tldr i think the original game is still worth playing (and it has all three routes) but pathologic 2 is a better, more refined game all around (in some ways it's a spiritual sequel to the first game, it's fucking complicated tho and you can still play it if you haven't touched pathologic 1)

im pretty sure theres going to be an english translation of that new dtf interview soon, if it pops up i'll post it here

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nikolai is developing "franz" for mobile platforms;
Technical director is developing "know by name";
There are only ten people working in the office.

Looks like we won't be playing Bachelor's and Changelling's campaigns any time soon.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Nikolai is developing "franz" for mobile platforms;
Technical director is developing "know by name";
There are only ten people working in the office.

Looks like we won't be playing Bachelor's and Changelling's campaigns any time soon.

Well, we don't know how complete they are atm.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

prengle

Savant
Interesting that Knock-Knock was their most commercially successful game. I thought it was pretty crap
theyve ported it to every single platform humanly imaginable (and it was originally a mobile game i think so theres that..) and it got coverage from people like fucking markiplier so im not surprised it made them the most $$$
is it your translation?
no its maxkur67s, even tho i like a fair amount of russian shit i dont know how to read cyrillic and i can count the number of russian words i know on one hand

Perkel

Arcane
Well time for new kickstarter. This time i want The Void but without cutting anything. Just rework that stupid glyph system, rework a bit graphics and off you go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom