Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
People who were interested in the game but had strong feelings against Epic, will buy it now that it comes out of Epic Early Access
I know I won't, even though puzzle-heavy blobbers are kinda my thing. I would consider buying it on release, if it weren't on Epic, to support the developer. But as it is, I'm in no rush - I'm busy as fuck with my job and have a backlog - so I'll just wait until sale.

your loss

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People who were interested in the game but had strong feelings against Epic, will buy it now that it comes out of Epic Early Access
Not me. I'll pirate it. I love this genre, but I'll not support stupid decisions.
I agree,if had come out on GoG on released i would have bought it and even promoted it here. But i don't support such practices.

Uncreation

Savant
So in the end is this Operencia thing worth it? I'm not a huge fan of blobbers but i have played some, mostly from the M&M series. I'm thinking about keeping an eye on it, if it gets a discount.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I know I won't, even though puzzle-heavy blobbers are kinda my thing. I would consider buying it on release, if it weren't on Epic, to support the developer. But as it is, I'm in no rush - I'm busy as fuck with my job and have a backlog - so I'll just wait until sale.
This.

FUCK Epic.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite Epic store being garbage I would not mind getting game there if its free or on such huge sale thats its practically free, since I want Steam to have a competition.

But I do not support bribery of developers to make their games exclusive, even more so when said developers Kickstarted their games with promises of Steam release.

Thats why I will never buy a Epic exclusive game, not on Epic or on Steam.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So in the end is this Operencia thing worth it? I'm not a huge fan of blobbers but i have played some, mostly from the M&M series. I'm thinking about keeping an eye on it, if it gets a discount.
It's ok to get on discount, but nothing special. Average.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least one publisher acknowledges that their once EPIC exclooooooooooooooosives should not launch on Steam for full price when they are a year old. Hopefully others follow suit. But as I found the other Metro games overrated and bland, this isn't anything I would pay more than $10-15 for, anyway.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Faeria and Assassin's Creed Syndicate are the weekly freebies. I'm continually in a state of soft awe at how much money Tencent has. Does anyone have a ballpark for how much one of these weekly 'giveaways' costs Epic?

A few exclusive games crawling back soon

Next ones should be Roller Coaster Tycoon something something in March, Borderlands 3 and World War Z in April. If we assume Ubisoft still has a brain then The Division 2 and Anno 1800 would be re-releasing in mid April.

Happy to see Satisfactory is finally coming to Steam – especially after the dev has been fairly deriding about the whole thing – though John Wick Hex is the title I'm really looking forward to (Bithel told me it's coming alright).

Fishy

Savant
It's pretty awesome for the kids/teens without income, that's a hell of a library they're getting.

Funny how "game devaluation" was apparently a massive concern during deep sales when studios sold their game at a discount. Now that they get paid a presumably bigger amount behind the scenes, it doesn't seem to matter anymore that the games are being given away for free, reinforcing the mindset that games are/should be cheap/free.

Modron

Arcane
No and there really isn't anything too interesting to see in Syndicate anyway. You could feel the low effort sequelitis strongly in its city design and Unity's as well.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's pretty awesome for the kids/teens without income, that's a hell of a library they're getting.

Funny how "game devaluation" was apparently a massive concern during deep sales when studios sold their game at a discount. Now that they get paid a presumably bigger amount behind the scenes, it doesn't seem to matter anymore that the games are being given away for free, reinforcing the mindset that games are/should be cheap/free.

The Games As A (Live) Service model means publishers are less worried about 'devaluation', but feel more entitled to your money than ever. A common experience with the games in Epic's giveaways, Humble's bundles, and key bundles in general, is that the full experience is at least one or more DLC away.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
PC Gamer declares the war over and Epic the winner.

I think this is dumb, Epic has shown no real proof that anyone would choose them over Steam when not doing exclusives and giveaways. Also with EA running back to Steam, there's less reason to need use alternate clients (though you still use them through Steam lulz). I see more evidence Steam will be a gatekeeper to everyone else's login/client bullshit than I do the opposite. That said... who the fuck knows.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
PC Gamer declares the war over and Epic the winner.

I think this is dumb, Epic has shown no real proof that anyone would choose them over Steam when not doing exclusives and giveaways. Also with EA running back to Steam, there's less reason to need use alternate clients (though you still use them through Steam lulz). I see more evidence Steam will be a gatekeeper to everyone else's login/client bullshit than I do the opposite. That said... who the fuck knows.

What's the headline you're seeing? (Does PC Gamer even do regional headers?) "As anger over the Epic Store subsides, what's next?" doesn't read the same as 'Epic won the war'.

Article does seem pretty pointless though. One could only really evaluate epic's success when measured by something other than (or at least after) free shit and strongarm tactics.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saying Epic wins the platform war because it gives out free games is the equivalent of saying Yakuza mobsters are decent folks because they aided civilians after tsunami
rating_prosper.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's the headline you're seeing? (Does PC Gamer even do regional headers?) "As anger over the Epic Store subsides, what's next?" doesn't read the same as 'Epic won the war'.

The war of relevance, the war of making Steam not the only game in town, etc. etc. I wasn't saying Epic is bigger than Steam, that would be insane. I was saying the article is the opening round of capitulation to "welp we've got two of them now." I also said I'm not sure I agree, as Epic's released numbers seemed weak and Bethesda and EA are running back to Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom