Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

The Red Knight

Erudite
I'm planning on not buying about fifty copies, rusty.

Murk

Arcane
Maybe there's some underground metagame to see who can make the most rage inducing 'remake'?

Realms of Arkania, the Infinity Engine EEs, Warcraft 3, now Gothic...

Perhaps there's some shadow society currency that runs off of butthurt?

JDR13

Arcane
Maybe there's some underground metagame to see who can make the most rage inducing 'remake'?

There was nothing rage-inducing about the Infinty Engine EEs unless you're just a butthurt purist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gothic 3 is ok with the community patch, but personally I almost always dropped it way before finishing. The big but generic world with very repetetive content is a total opposite of what G1 and G2 are, where the world is much smaller but every little thing feels unique and placed by hand for a reason.

One of PB's big strengths in my opinion is making open worlds that feel designed and meaningful to explore, rather than just being big worthless spaces you walk across from one quest to another. Gothic 3 is their worst at this, which is pretty meh.

Murk

Arcane

There was nothing rage-inducing about the Infinty Engine EEs unless you're just a butthurt purist.

All the new additions are pretty low quality (I'm playing BG2:EE now and the new characters -- especially Neera -- are pretty crap, even compared to Jaheira or HEYA ITS ME IMOEN), nevermind that it was basically a packaging of mods and reselling -- and in some places, the original isn't available anymore.

Though my point was in producing butthurt, which purist or not, same end result.

edit: and ofc siege of dragonspear looks terrible -- but I didn't play that one so I can only go off of what I've seen/read.

JDR13

Arcane

All the new additions are pretty low quality (I'm playing BG2:EE now and the new characters -- especially Neera -- are pretty crap, even compared to Jaheira or HEYA ITS ME IMOEN), nevermind that it was basically a packaging of mods and reselling -- and in some places, the original isn't available anymore.

Though my point was in producing butthurt, which purist or not, same end result.

It's an insignificant amount of new content and can be easily ignored if you don't like it. Anyone who finds that rage-inducing might have more serious issues to worry about.

Murk

Arcane
Hahaha did you retroactively rate my post 'butthurt' after I gave you a participation award?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I agrued this back and forth on their Discord...

people believe that there won't be a remake if they do not say it was good.

I just really do not understand why people would prefer having a shit remake, I just don't get it.

It's better of just dying then, at least it MAY get a competent necromancer reviving it after another decade.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Well I agrued this back and forth on their Discord...

I just really do not understand why people would prefer having a shit remake, I just don't get it.

It's better of just dying then, at least it MAY get a competent necromancer reviving it after another decade.

God. Dammit. I can't understand why any existing gothic fan would approve of this mess. I thought it had been thoroughly ripped to shreds, I didn't see any good reviews on youtube, not from new players or old fans.

There's almost nothing good about it. If they listened to fans it might be fixable though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

When they came out they were pretty buggy and what they introduced wasn't worth it, but nowadays they've been fixed up nicely and this is a true statement.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Not only that. Only people who managed to complete this teaser got the survey link. I ragequitted on the first battle...

PS : About necromancer. Finally managed to install Returning 2.0. The translation to English is "boom gloom" level of awfulness(the spell name should be something more cool like arrow of darkness) since the mod is russian but i an loving each second playing this mod. My unique critique is that become a necromancer took to much time to get 30 INT and the quest involves killing a sheep of Innos without much detail about who is the Innos's Sheep, and had to kill someone in mid of monastery was pretty hard. Necromancer is also a bit too powerful. I mean, Snappers are taking 2HK from my "boom gloom" and with summons, i managed to defeat a shadowbeast using circle 1 spells only. On Gothic 3, i had to run and save scum a lot to defeat one with circle 3 spells and decided that is only safe to engage shadow beasts with at least circle 4. I can't even imagine how circle 6 magic will gonna be in this mod...

Yep. You have some crap companions BUT if Baldur's Gate was made by THQ Barcelona, you will have dialog wheel, cooldowns, no time to drink potions and quick time events

Murk

Arcane

Yep. You have some crap companions BUT if Baldur's Gate was made by THQ Barcelona, you will have dialog wheel, cooldowns, no time to drink potions and quick time events

The audio cues for when your character speaks would be hard coded to 3x every time you click on anything.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm fine with the BG EE's, but I do wish there was an option to start the game without the added content. It's not even solely because Beamdog's content is low quality (which it is), it's that most of it is introduced in a way that you cannot even ignore, and its higher production value clashes in a very awkward way with the original content.

Mud'

Scholar
God. Dammit. I can't understand why any existing gothic fan would approve of this mess. I thought it had been thoroughly ripped to shreds, I didn't see any good reviews on youtube, not from new players or old fans.

There's almost nothing good about it. If they listened to fans it might be fixable though.

Because by giving the game positive feedback and "letting it" live, the game has a chance to become something good, at least that is how i understand the mentality of those Gothic fans, they truly hope that the devs will listen to feedback and change almost all the demo to something like Gothic 1.

Not only that. Only people who managed to complete this teaser got the survey link. I ragequitted on the first battle...

PS : About necromancer. Finally managed to install Returning 2.0. The translation to English is "boom gloom" level of awfulness(the spell name should be something more cool like arrow of darkness) since the mod is russian but i an loving each second playing this mod. My unique critique is that become a necromancer took to much time to get 30 INT and the quest involves killing a sheep of Innos without much detail about who is the Innos's Sheep, and had to kill someone in mid of monastery was pretty hard. Necromancer is also a bit too powerful. I mean, Snappers are taking 2HK from my "boom gloom" and with summons, i managed to defeat a shadowbeast using circle 1 spells only. On Gothic 3, i had to run and save scum a lot to defeat one with circle 3 spells and decided that is only safe to engage shadow beasts with at least circle 4. I can't even imagine how circle 6 magic will gonna be in this mod...

The only thing stopping me from trying Returning 2.0 is that i heard that the game throws at you enemies that have like 5k to 10k health or some shit like that, is that true? I dont want a battle to last 3 minutes of pure hacking and slashing the same black skeleton.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The only thing stopping me from trying Returning 2.0 is that i heard that the game throws at you enemies that have like 5k to 10k health or some shit like that, is that true? I dont want a battle to last 3 minutes of pure hacking and slashing the same black skeleton.

IS not as if you would psend 4 minutes to will a scavenger like on the Teaser. Numbers on returning are inflated BUT player damage, skill points and other numbers are also inflated.

This is what a "circle 1" necromancer can do against orcs. On Gothic 2 NotR, even as a circle 4, i ran out of mana after each orc that ikill(unless i cheese with ice block)

IMO the 3 greatest problems of returning are :
  • Poor translation to English. Not a problem for Russians and maybe Germans
  • Power creep(not only damage inflation), i mean, remember Sleeper? A necromancer in end game of returning can literally create an army of ARCHdemons like the Sleeper. At this point i wonder if he serves Beliar or Beliar serves him....
  • Some times can be frustrating. Example, get 30 INT to become a necromancer was extremely tedious. Invading houses in search of books to discover that they are reading the same book of everyone else and then running for guards. Spending your precious gold on components to make alchemy...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I could not play the demo past thirty minutes or so. A complete train wreck.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually managed to finish the demo, hoping it would suddenly stop being terrible if I just kept going. I was one of those people who gave 1s to almost everything. Very disappointing to see all those 4s and 5s, I guess there's nothing good to expect from the finished game now. I loved Gothic 1 and 2 and I really wanted to see them revived dammit.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They should gave the survey to everyone who played for 10 minutes this trash, i rage quitted after the first battle. I liked all piranha bytes games, except risen 2 but could't play this game for more than 20 minutes.

This teaser is one hour long. According to steamspy steamspy, gothic 1 teaser is owned by 0,2 to 0,5m players. 40k(around 10% who answered the survey) able to endue this torment for an hour to finish the game is more than what i was expecting...

They wanna a remake? Just hire the guys from prestigious mods who improves a lot the graphics and then with a salary and source code access, they will do a amazing job.

Among the Gothic games, IMO the best is G1 but my favorite is G3(i know, if wasen't by my magefag bias, i would probably even hate G3 like many guys here). But even the most die hard G3 hater would agree that G3 is better than this remake... Hell, even forsaken gods is better.;

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom