Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find an obscure JRPG to play

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I saw a comment on here the other day where someone said something like "There's always an obscure JRPG you haven't played". Hopefully that holds true enough that I can find one I like. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must be in English or have a fan translation patch
Be turn based (No ATB shit like FFX-2)
Not first person (I like seeing combat animations)
Have some kind of character customization like skill/stat points to assign on level up or classes to master for gaining skills (I'd count something like the sphere grid in FFX. Think FF Tactics for a job system)
16-bit era or newer

Falksi

Arcane
Shadow Hearts Covenant isn't obscure, but is often missed so I'll mention is as it's a class game.

Koudelka on the PS1, & Robotrek on the SNES are two others to give a gander.

Doubt any of them meet all your requirements, but just spend an hour playing them and see how you take to them.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Shadow Hearts Covenant isn't obscure, but is often missed so I'll mention is as it's a class game.

Koudelka on the PS1, & Robotrek on the SNES are two others to give a gander.

Doubt any of them meet all your requirements, but just spend an hour playing them and see how you take to them.

Haven't heard of any of those but I'll look into them

I've played search for eden multiple times and loved it. Never heard of this one. I'll check it out too

Ysaye

Arbiter
Have you played Brandish? I find it to be a bit of an odd game, but it has:

(1) Turn based combat (very rogue-like though in the way it works);
(2) Stats that you can level up through usage that change the way you can play; and
(3) Third person perspective with combat animations.

Originally out on a number of systems, but I would play the PSP version if you can get access to that.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/brandish/

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Have you played Brandish? I find it to be a bit of an odd game, but it has:

(1) Turn based combat (very rogue-like though in the way it works);
(2) Stats that you can level up through usage that change the way you can play; and
(3) Third person perspective with combat animations.

Originally out on a number of systems, but I would play the PSP version if you can get access to that.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/brandish/

Haven't heard of Brandish. That one looks like it's the closest one to what I'm looking for yet. I did play a bit of Robotrek though and that was surprisingly good. Made me wish there was a new Custom Robo game.

Langrisser IV for PS1 is a fire emblem like game avilable for PS1, albeit fan-translated with full Japanese voice acting and branching paths

Der Langrisser for SNES is also similar but a remake is coming to PC, so you may want to wait for that instead.

Growlanser IV(PSP) is an interesting RTwP JRPG, is pretty challenging and play like IE games where you have to apply several buffs before battle in order to stand a chance. Make sure to get the undub version

These games have limited Character customization though.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Haven't heard of Brandish

FYI it's real time. NOT turn based. It's not a roguelike, the enemies do not wait for you, you will die fast if you don't have good reflexes. Rather challenging too, the control scheme is utter balls.

On the chance you haven't played them I'll recommend SaGa games and their derivatives. SaGa Frontier (ps1), Romancing SaGa 3 (PC version just released), Minstrel Song (emulate it on PS2), SaGa Scarlet Grace (just released on PC), and Alliance Alive (just released PC version) and The Last Remnant (PC version removed from sale because Square Enix hates you. May have to torrent it).

All great games with extensive character customization and turn based battles.

shywn

Savant
Points 1 and 4 are rather hard to fill, but G.O.D - Mezameyo to yobu koe ga kikoe fills them. It's for the SNES and has a PS1 remake. I think only the SNES version has a translation patch though.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Paladin's Quest and it's sequel Lennus 2 (which got a fan translation). Not the best JRPGs, but they fit the bill.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
you could try nemuru mayu, but it has no formal (or fan) english localization

Exhuminator

Arcane
Okage.jpg
Opoona.jpg
PS2-Tsugunai-Atonement.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom