Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Othercide - surreal horror-themed tactical RPG where battle sisters fight against cosmic horrors

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.othercidegame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/othercide?as=1649904300

Othercide, a horror themed tactical turn-based game with "Initiative Sequence(™) system" and punitive gameplay (no cover, no healing and permadeath):

ss_dfbe3fb0243028ec6aea41af16070a96e343a43f.600x338.jpg

Lead an army of gifted female warriors against nightmarish creatures, as they sacrifice everything to push the darkness back. Experience the ultimate tactical challenge in a shattered world behind the mirror of our reality.

Key Features
  • Breaking the turn-based standard: Introducing the Initiative Sequence(™) system, players will experience a new way to predict enemies' moves and put the perfect plan in place in response. Using interrupts or delayed actions and reactions, players will have to wisely manipulate the sequence order, deciding when to change from defensive play to offensive to overcome their adversaries.

• Punitive gameplay: With no cover, no healing and permadeath, players always have tough choices to make and each decision comes with a sacrifice, of resources, or in blood!

• Striking art style: Using only black, white and some touches of vivid red, Othercide invites players to dive into an ethereal horror dimension between conscious and unconscious.

• Replayability: Survive, protect your ground and defend reality, your task won't be easy, as players' will face ruthless creatures that constantly try to push through breaches into our reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Fuck these games that think using black an white with spots of colour makes their game stylish. It just makes it look like shit.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck these games that think using black an white with spots of colour makes their game stylish. It just makes it look like shit.
Agreed. Betrayer at least let you turn the colors back on. This game is an eyesore.

ANtY

Ancient Forge Studio
Developer
It really is eye-catching but I think it'd get tiring pretty quick with this fixed color palette.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I hate gameplay trailers where you can't see any gameplay. It's literally impossible to tell anything about it from that video, since it includes about .5 seconds of game between every 10 seconds of edginess.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Before Ligthbulb made a deal with Paradox, I translated a couple of sentences for their FAQ.
And now they sent me a poster, a gesture which I find as cool as it was unexpected. Indie (technically former indie, but still) devs are way closer to people.
Now just don't make the game suck!

QcUCWDv.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So apparently this is now a tactical RPG and published by Focus Home Interactive:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/798490/announcements/detail/1712994457228259872

Hello everyone,

Lead the army of reality against the Others, terrifying forces from beyond known dimensions, in Othercide, the new tactical RPG from Lightbulb Crew and Focus Home Interactive, due this Summer on PC.

Explore a dying timeline and discover the secrets of the City and the Suffering bred within it. Lead, evolve and sacrifice your army of Daughters, echoes of the greatest warrior to ever live, in deadly battles against the Others and Suffering across battlefields brought to life by a unique artistic direction. Get just a taste of this incredible new universe in today’s Reveal Trailer.

Combat is an intricate dance of spectacular actions and counters: using the Dynamic Timeline System, plan ahead of time and set up impressive chains of abilities to outsmart and outdamage the enemy. Fight in epic boss battles against the sources of Suffering - dread creatures pulled from the worst of Humanity’s crimes against itself. Each world-shattering boss brings their own twist to a tale told through fleeting memories solidifying to a full, tragic narrative about the Mother and how this dreaded reality came to pass.

438a8e6631a5aa38f9665b24e5ddc557c9f76bfc.jpg

Your prowess in combat will decide the fate of your Daughters, shaping their abilities and personality.

Cowardice will be punished, barely surviving will leave scars, and particularly efficient dispatching of the creatures sent against you will be rewarded, permanently affecting their stats. Memories, obtained from re-enacting the actions of their progenitor, change and improve each skill through customization, making your army truly your own. Inevitably, you'll need to make the toughest decision and sacrifice one of your Daughters to heal another - survivors will get stronger, ready to fight the next battle.

zLv2vlG.gif

You will fight. You will fall. You will rise again.

Othercide comes to PC this summer.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
So apparently this is now a tactical RPG

I see you've moved the game to General RPG section, but it was rightfully placed in Tactical Gaming.
There are RPG elements - stats, skill selection and level progression; but the game is an RPG no more then Xcom or Darkest Dungeon.

PrettyDeadman

I too would like to use this thread to remind people about my stance on women in videogames and current state of video game journalism.

Reinhardt

Arcane
No, seriously. all characters are women. In current year. AND I DON'T CARE! It looks cool and i will buy it.
If devs don't announce true enemy is patriarchy.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
An interview with Othercide creative director from PAX.

In short:
  • Dynamic tactical turn-based game (not once they call it an RPG, because it's not).
  • Rogue-lite flow.
  • Initiative system. Meaningful manipulation with timing of enemies' and allies' actions.
  • Most powerful skills have cost in health.
  • No healing in usual sense. To heal one character you have to sacrifice another.
  • A mechanics called "memories" which can affect skills.
  • 3 starting classes. But there could be more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://noisypixel.net/othercide-pax-east-2020-preview/

Tactical RPG ‘Othercide’ Takes More Inspiration From Nier Than Sin City

During PAX East 2020, Focus Home Interactive had Othercide playable on the floor, and we had the chance to check out the upcoming gloom and doom turn-based rogue-lite from LightBlub Crew.

Othercide mixes some genres to fit its story of an all-powerful Mother sinking the rest of her power to her Daughters, reborn manifestation of her essence and soul to defend against the creatures of Suffering.

hqdefault.jpg

This is done by continuing to birth new Daughters into a small army, each with their own class and abilities to be used during the tactical battle portions of the game. Experience from those battles can improve each Daughter’s skills, abilities, and buffs to make for a more powerful team. When Daughters take on too much damage during battles, players can then choose to sacrifice them to heal the others.

In the overworld view, Daughters can only battle a few times a day and must rest to be able to attack again, creating that much more anticipation to gain more power and attack an upcoming boss in a set amount of days.

Othercide_Screenshot-13_Logo-800.jpg

Battle portions may have the look of a simplified turn-based game, but things work differently in Othercide. Instead of each character taking a turn, who goes next is determined by a “timeline” that takes a lot of different situations into factor. Characters with speedier stats or abilities have the opportunity to attack first, useful to situations where a team is hanging on by the skin of their teeth, and the first strike makes for one less enemy to worry about. Other conditions involving killing a creature who was going to attack next on the timeline, result in the player having another turn. Meanwhile, some abilities can also “slam” enemies out of their next turn by pushing them back further down the timeline, giving teammates a chance to go next instead.

Finally, the art style has a look that, at first glance, people will liken to movies like Sin City, but developer Lightbulb Crew actually takes their inspirations more from titles like Nier Automata. The black and white palette with a color picked red isn’t a first in games, but the uber gothic paired with elongated monster designs could turn some heads.

Othercide_Screenshot-04_Logo-800.jpg

During our time with the game, Othercide has proven to be a promising title for 2020. The gameplay and mechanics weren’t an issue and had a polished feel. Though, we’ll keep an eye as the game progresses.

Othercide doesn’t have a set release date outside of its Summer 2020 window and will be coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

V_K

Arcane
Battle portions may have the look of a simplified turn-based game, but things work differently in Othercide. Instead of each character taking a turn, who goes next is determined by a “timeline” that takes a lot of different situations into factor. Characters with speedier stats or abilities have the opportunity to attack first, useful to situations where a team is hanging on by the skin of their teeth, and the first strike makes for one less enemy to worry about. Other conditions involving killing a creature who was going to attack next on the timeline, result in the player having another turn. Meanwhile, some abilities can also “slam” enemies out of their next turn by pushing them back further down the timeline, giving teammates a chance to go next instead.
Oh great, game journalist who has never seen an initiative queue before.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, that aside, initiative queues are fun to mess with. Especially in games like FF Tactics. So that's cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.gameskinny.com/xt1yy/ot...turn-based-action-movie-weve-been-waiting-for

Othercide Might be the Turn-Based Action Movie We've Been Waiting For
Although it's still early days, Othercide stands out because of a unique timeline system and its dark, rogue-like elements.

"So it's basically XCOM meets Dark Souls," I say sitting at a small demo station in the bustling Boston Convention Center during PAX East.

"I'm sure most of the team would appreciate that comparison," Anders Larsson says with a wide smile. Anders is the CEO and Creative Director at Lightbulb Crew, and he's leading me through a demo of Othercide, the studio's upcoming turn-based RPG.

He's explaining the game's systems and making sure I don't die too many times. I kill another enemy with a powerful backstab-ranged combo, all while avoiding the incoming volley from his foul friend to my right.

Anders is a great guide, and Othercide is a blast.

In retrospect, it's certainly a bit reductive to compare Othercide to XCOM and Dark Souls. On the surface, there are a lot of similarities between the three games, from how combat plays out similarly to the popular Firaxis series to how the enemies and world look beautifully Lordran-adjacent.

But dig deeper, and there's something more compelling underneath that familiar surface. Othercide isn't just a successful merging of XCOM and Dark Souls but the intelligent manifestation of something uniquely iterative.

othercide-timeline-adea9.jpg

Instead of something as plodding and methodical as XCOM or Dark Souls, Othercide is a game predicated on high-octane action inside a turn-based architecture. Anders told me that one of the guiding principles behind the game's development was in recreating the feeling of an action movie.

If you take XCOM as the example — it's a great game and we love playing it — but it would be a terrible action movie. You're moving from cover to cover, you shoot, and then you wait to get shot by somebody else. If you think about what an action movie is, it's much more about reacting to what's happening.

You have these epic moments where your favorite character is about to be killed but the bad guy gets distracted by somebody else or somebody throws themselves into place and takes a bullet for them.

In that way, action movies are often explosively dynamic. Attempting to replicate that feeling, Othercide has a bevy of actions meant to change up the gameplay from what genre fans may find familiar. Some actions happen immediately, other actions are delayed, and others still can interrupt enemy attacks either immediately or on a delay.

With all of this in mind, the biggest hurdle in the team's way, according to Anders, was the most integral piece of any turn-based title: the turn itself.

What held us back was this whole notion of a turn. If you're changing up the order of the turn, then, at the end of the turn, everybody has to go. We solved the [problem of canceling turns or interrupting attacks] by just taking out the turn.
othercide-timeline-bccef.jpg

The solution is what Lightbulb Crew calls the timeline, which extends from one side of the screen to the other underneath all of the action. Both your characters and enemy mobs are represented as portraits on the timeline and numbers represent intervals of time.

Of course, there can be infinite mobs spawning into the timeline after others are defeated, but you, as a player, typically have access to only three characters at any given moment. From what I saw in my relatively short demo, it seems that one of your characters always starts at the far left end of the timeline, allowing you to move at least one character first.

The other two Daughters will land somewhere in the timeline, sometimes in direct succession of each other or sometimes with enemies spawning in between. Regardless of positioning, you spend points to move the Daughters up the timeline.

But everything outside of movement costs AP, from attacks to special abilities. And points are also tied to your overall health pool.

So while a certain number of points might get you past an enemy attack in the timeline and let you land a devastating attack, you might be left with too few hitpoints to defend yourself in the future, leaving you vulnerable to another enemy attack that lands in the timeline before your next movement.

othercide-grid-fight-337a3.jpg

While it doesn't seem to completely erase turns, the timeline allows gameplay to feel much more fluid than it might in other genre titles. In my 45 minutes with Othercide, the moment-to-moment action felt perhaps not more strategic than say XCOM but continuously more rewarding.

Each move and decision carried with it dramatic weight and, when pulled off correctly, even more dramatic power. That feeling wasn't sullied by Anders helping me through each mission, and it speaks volumes for a game of Othercide's ilk. Every significant action was akin to a well-placed overwatch kill.

What's cool is that you can have multiple people having interactions and reactions align at the same time, it can create little chain reactions. For example, an enemy comes to attack, and one Daughter is protecting another Daughter with an interrupting shot, and I have a reaction [ability] that, as soon as an enemy takes damage, I get a free attack [because of the interrupting shot].

Such a system creates uniquely strategic and emergent scenarios that aren't often possible elsewhere.

Adding to that, another neat wrinkle is that you're able to see enemy attacks well before they happen, giving you time to plan around them. While that doesn't mean you'll always be able to avoid enemy attacks, especially if you don't plan correctly, it has the benefit of making you feel completely unstoppable when you correctly line everything up and cut through enemies from one end of a map to another.

othercide-abilities-skills-traits-10e8b.jpg

While I won't get into the story elements of Othercide and the reason characters are called Daughters, I will say that you can create an army of them to push back the forces of evil. Each Daughter adheres to one of three classes, each with unique abilities and skills.

As you play, you come across memories, which you then use to upgrade abilities and traits. These, in turn, can be buffed with different enhancements, such as making attacks stronger or providing more critical-hit chance. Of course, these enhancements also make certain Daughters more powerful when facing certain enemy types, further playing into your overall strategy.

Additionally, Othercide features rogue-like elements and permadeath, where you play across a specific timeline with a specific set of Daughters. Lose one Daughter to save the others, and though you can create a new one in her place, she'll be gone forever. Lose to the boss at the end of each timeline, and you'll find yourself starting over.

---

Othercide certainly has me intrigued. It's accessible enough for newcomers but deep enough for those that have been playing turn-based RPGs and turn-based strategy games for decades.

With a guide, it took me 45 minutes to get through two of the game's early levels. And while I don't know exactly how long the finished game will be, it's likely to be a hefty experience.

Anders assured me that those who enjoy lore and story will find plenty to uncover while playing through Othercide. Conversely, he also assured me that those who just want to "min-max" can skip over all of that and just play the game.

There's still a lot to learn about Othercide between now and when it (hopefully) releases later this year on PC. Until then, we'll be keeping an eye on it. Be sure to check the game's official reveal trailer over here, and stay tuned to GameSkinny for more on Othercide as it breaks.

https://onlysp.escapistmagazine.com/lightbulb-crew-interview-othercide/

“Daddy’s Job is Painting Monsters All Day” — An Interview With Othercide Developer Lightbulb Crew

Lightbulb Crew is a Franco-Swedish development team made of two separate studios across Northern Europe. The developer also tactfully rode out the Mouvement des Gilets Jaunes (Yellow Vest Movement) protests that claimed the streets of Paris by utilising pre-existing and dedicated remote working arrangements. The team is currently working on Othercide.

Othercide is an ethereal, horror-themed interpretation of the world today. The enemies are inspired by psychological traumas, nightmares, and fears as well as drawing influence from Silent Hill and Stephen King’s novels. Lightbulb has set out to design a fresh new experience in the already crowded RTS market and looks set to accomplish this with the Dynamic Timeline System. The system allows players to manipulate time by slowing enemy attacks or speeding up the attacks of the Daughters. To cap the game off, Chaudret’s reductionist and bold art direction to build an entire world with three colours only adds to the mysticism. Black and white create the world of dreams around players, thus encouraging players to conjure up experiences in their heads, whilst the vibrant crimson creates a dramatic contrast.

In an exclusive interview with OnlySP, Lightbulb Crew’s CEO and game director Anders Larsson and art director Alexandre Chaudret discussed the studio’s Franco-Swedish working practices, art direction, RTS game mechanics, and much more.

OnlySP: Can you tell me about how Lightbulb Crew was formed and what inspired you to develop games?

Larsson: Games and video games have been a part of my life as a little kid. They are things that connect us with others, let you dream about other places, or just learn about stuff. Already back in the 90s, me and my co-founder Johan Wirde dreamt about making games together. Instead, I ended up having a career in business and back in 2013, my wife pushed me to do something I was truly passionate about.

OnlySP: Alex [Chaudret], Why did you join the Othercide project?

Chaudret: I’ve been working in the video games industry since 2011, on the art-side of things. I usually say that my only goal in life is to tell weird stories with strange monsters… It is actually exactly what I answer my daughter when she asks me what my work is: “Daddy’s job is painting monsters all day.”

When Lightbulb came to me in Fall of 2017, I saw an opportunity to step up to a north star job: art director. But, above all, I saw a nice canvas appearing on the horizon, where I could paint quite freely a dark universe full of creatures, ghosts, and nightmares. The first day I arrived at Lightbulb, I said to the crew, “We’re not here to do an artbook, let’s make a freaking game!” and I try to stick to this idea.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-Othercide-on-Steam7.png

OnlySP: Tell me about Othercide. What influenced you to create the horror-themed, turn-based strategy game?

Larsson: We are fans of different kinds of turn-based games, and what initially drove me was to be able to create a game that was true to the core aspects of turn-based games, while introducing a more dynamic battle system and giving increased weight to the characters you controlled. All of this are still in the game, but our initial approach was quite different to what you see in Othercide now.

When Alex came on-board he helped to give the game its current form, not just in art, but also in terms of the world and lore etc. What has always been really central to me is that the experience hangs together through art, mechanics, and sound.

OnlySP: Talk about what you see in the horror aspect of the game and how the art helped form the world?

Chaudret: “Horror-themed” in Othercide doesn’t mean you will be frightened or having your heart explode with jump-scares haha! It is more about the psychological aspects of traumas, inspired by the Silent Hill series or Stephen King’s novels. I always think that the best way to achieve a creative project is to add a bit of personal experiences in it like giving a bit of your soul so it can resonate with some people, not all of your audience.

That was part of the challenge on Othercide, especially in a genre that has been quite codified those last years. To do so, we had to set (and stick to) heavy boundaries, until the universe could just live on its own. I really enjoy the moment where you feel that all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting in, and even more when you, as a creator, discover that there are even more pieces laying in darkness.
Screenshot_2020-03-07-Othercide-on-Steam8.png

OnlySP: Othercide is set in a nightmare realm with creatures that feed off of suffering. Does this tie into any particular messaging you’re hoping to achieve? If not, what message are you hoping to achieve (if any)?

Larsson: The world in Othercide is inspired by ours, where mighty entities live in a parallel dimension feeding off of all kinds of human emotions. So there is a kind of macro-story about the fight for the survival of mankind, and the terrible sacrifices that may be necessary. At the same time, there is another story there about redemption and forgiveness.

Chaudret: I think the best stories have different layers. Othercide can be seen like an epic war between fearless warriors and horrible monsters, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The entire lore is flavored with psychological traits of the human psyche, tackling about sickness, pain, loss, hope, and fears. A lot of those subjects are even inspired by our own experiences, that we tried to put honestly in the game. More than a ‘message’, Othercide is a story. An intimate tale hidden in a larger world. It is up to the player to dig through the layers of our lore and discover more.

OnlySP: The narrative’s design focuses heavily on player choice. The impact of those choices can lead to traumatic experiences happening to the Daughters, making them stronger or weaker. Are there any strategic benefits to deliberately weakening the Daughters?

Larsson: We tried to make a game that could be experienced on multiple levels. For the player that just want to find a new mechanical system to master, we went all out to create a dynamic battle system with completely new challenges. For those players that care about the story, we created a world to unveil, mostly through the discovery of new memories. The story is at least up to 50 percent what the player creates in [their] head based on the experiences of [the] Daughters. Players will not be able to weaken a daughter on purpose but will have to make choices based on how the Daughters develop.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-Othercide-on-Steam.jpg

OnlySP: The game’s website warns that death is permanent. However, if individual Daughters die during combat encounters, can they be revived? Can players recruit other Daughters between skirmishes?

Larsson: Yes, the player can create new Daughters in between battles, but it is hard.

OnlySP: Othercide‘s art design is utterly stunning. The character’s clothing and movement style is reminiscent of a Devil May Cry title but set in a noir, ethereal monochromatic back-drop. Why did you create the art design in this unique way instead of designing a world popping with rich colour?

Chaudret: Because I am super lazy art director: three colours were way enough! Actually, it was one of the hardest and obvious choices to do. When I started my work on Othercide, I knew that if we wanted to stand out in this kind of games, we would have to pull all the levers we had at disposal at their maximum. So, while the first attempts of art direction where kind of muddy desaturated, I kicked the lever into full black and white, and a blazing vivid red. It was super hard, and really frightening.

There were a lot of challenges, a lot of doubts, but we still felt it was the right direction. Black and white are the realms of dreams, of interpretation, of the ethereal. Dropping our Daughters, with their vivid red scarves in this ocean of darkness has already a signification. I love creating those art-systems. You will notice that when a Daughter loses health, her scarf greys out.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-OTHERCIDE-PRESS-KIT-The-new-Lightbulb-Crew-Studio-Game2.png

Larsson: Alex was very serious when he came to me and suggested going all black, white, and red and we sat down and discussed it together. In the end I realized that it fits with the gaming experience we were going for. As important is that it helped us reach an art-style that is immediately recognizable. As indie developers, it is even more important that the game stands out on its own than for larger studios.

OnlySP: The game features a wide array of fascinating enemies. The artistic design behind the tentacled, beast-like aliens and the tall, scythe-wielding creatures offer a range of unique antagonists to battle. How did the creature designs evolve from the game’s concept to what we see in the gameplay trailer?

Chaudret: Creature-design is an iterative process or, should I say, an exploration process. At first, we always try to serve the gameplay. So each of our creatures and bosses germinates for a reason and achieve a function. Then, it’s our jobs as artists to infuse a ‘soul’ in those seeds of horror, until it grows and blossoms in a good balance of monstrosity and beauty. We can use a lot of different inspirations, from abyss fauna to preformists like Olivier De Sagazan, but the one inspiration I prefer is our own nightmares. I was really gifted to work with such a talented team, that could both listen and understand what I was looking for, as well as creating fascinating creatures on my side. We hope you will enjoy our horror-zoo!

Screenshot_2020-03-07-Othercide-on-Steam2.png

OnlySP: The title boasts dynamic, turn-based combat that enables players to anticipate enemy movements and ultimately execute a strategic masterplan using the Dynamic Timeline System. Can you explain what this system is and how it works?

Larsson: Instead of turns, Othercide has a timeline showing when enemies and allies will act. Attacks have different impacts on the timeline. Some attacks happen immediately, some are delayed, and some happen over time. At all times you have to take the timing of enemies’ attacks into account, but you also have tools to deal with them. You have skills that can delay enemies or speed up your own attacks and also react to, and interrupt enemies. These you can use to stop enemies in their tracks or just do enormous amounts of damage if you use them well.

OnlySP: Can you provide detail about the character skill system? What types of skills will players be able to choose from and can players build their character to suit individual playstyles?

Larsson: At the beginning of the game the player can choose between three different classes, and in each class, there are skills to choose from at each level. The differences are really significant as skills work together with skills in other classes as well as with skills at other levels. On top of this, the Daughters evolve on their own with their own battle experience, which will change how you decide to use them.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-Othercide-on-Steam1.png

OnlySP: Othercide is due to be published by Focus Home Interactive, which has been behind some of the biggest games of 2019, including GreedFall, The Surge 2, and A Plague Tale: Innocence. What is it like working with such an accomplished publisher? Has Focus Home shaped the game in a way that you did not expect?

Larsson: So far it has been a really good experience, as [Focus] fully understood where we wanted to go with the game and was supportive of that vision. Having [Focus’s], at least partially, external view on the game has helped us identify areas that need to be strengthened much quicker. I guess the best part was how the support has helped refine parts of the game.

Chaudret: From the very beginning of our collaboration, Focus has been very supportive of our creativity and where the art style was heading. Having a publisher ready to take risks and support something different in a codified genre is refreshing and respectful.

OnlySP: Lightbulb Crew consists of a team that is based in France and Sweden. What challenges and benefits does the Franco-Swedish relationship bring to the studio?

Larsson: The main difficulty is that it forces us to work a lot remotely. That also has actually turned out to be a benefit as we have had to live through months of strikes in France which forced many Paris team members to work from home, and we already had that experience.

OnlySP: How has developing your previous online game, Games of Glory, helped you to create Othercide? Did you encounter any specific challenges that affected how you approached designing your upcoming game?

Larsson: For a first game, Games of Glory was hugely ambitious, and we learned an enormous amount from the experience. The importance of one strong art-style being one, as well as how important good feedback and the pleasure a player should get out of just handling the core combat aspect of the game. From a process standpoint, we also learned a ton.

Screenshot_2020-03-07-Games-of-Glory-Cinematic-Trailer-YouTube.png

OnlySP: Lightbulb Crew has established its publishing brand under LBC Games which has been set up “by indies, for indies”; What impact would you like LBC Games to have on the industry? Do you have any projects that you can talk about now?

Larsson: We believe in all aspects of the strategy genre and helping indies that focus in that area will help assure that there are great games coming out. It will also help us build a stronger community around the types of games we love. LBC Games is there to help indie developers get through some of the pains we have experienced ourselves. We are about helping the developer to make the best game they can. We also help with financing as well for the right game.

OnlySP: Can you reveal any detail about how long the campaign will be?

Larsson: Playtime will depend a lot on the player, and his or her approach. Play-through time varies so widely from player to player that I don’t want to give any target times. We think people will feel that they have gotten good value for their money though!

OnlySP: Will the game have multiple endings depending on what choices the player makes?

Larsson: Let’s let the players discover that themselves

OnlySP: Is there anything else you would like to say to our readers?

Larsson: Your readers can still help us influence the game, by following us on social media or email list, and then participate in our upcoming beta!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
The release is on July 28 (according to xbox stores).
Steam announcement is expected later today.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No, not a demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/798490/view/2420069741605313516

Pre-order is now open!

Greetings, Chosen ones,

The day has finally come. We’re thrilled to announce that Othercide releases July 28 on Steam, and is now available for pre-order!

We’d like to thank you for following us since the announcement of the game. It’s an honor for us to read your feedback and comments on social media. As pre-orders are open now, we’ll be sharing more information about Othercide, including gameplay, lore, soundtrack, and more on our social media channels and Steam page. Stay tuned to receive all the news first-hand.

We noticed that some players are wondering if we have an artbook planned at release. We’re pleased to announce that Othercide Base Game + OST + Artbook Bundle is now open for pre-order. You not only will have a 128-page digital artbook with the Art Director, Alexandre Chaudret’s stunning work, but a copy of the original soundtrack composed by Pierre Le Pape, Solitaris, and Max Lilja, which allows you to dive deep into the dark and creepy worlds of Othercide.

In order to celebrate this excellent news, we’d like to showcase some exclusive content from the Othercide artbook. Sit tight, as you are plunging into a nightmarish and deadly world.

323befa85eab665b31364bfa69d556db8c567435.jpg

In Othercide, witness the birth of your worst nightmares and lead your army of Daughters to defeat those who spread only fear.

Descend into Humanity’s last hope. The Daughters, echoes of the greatest warrior to ever live, are all who stand before Suffering and death. Lead your army to battle with all the skill you can muster. Your prowess in combat will decide their fate, shape their abilities and personality. Make the toughest decision and sacrifice one to heal another - survivors will get stronger, ready to fight the next battle.

eb5d0b34c34a53355f3c4f8b2fee47f35e01858f.jpg

The Blademaster is a strong and fierce warrior that can deal a huge amount of damage. Wield your powerful sword and slash any enemy that crosses your path in Othercide.

The Soulslinger’s ranged weapons and unique skills can support her beloved sisters when it’s most needed. Gun down those that block your path without mercy.

The Shieldbearer is a strong warrior assigned to protect those more fragile. With her unbreakable shield and powerful lance, no one can ever hurt her beloved sisters.

23c0263090a4001f3fe30c3150b9cb7a51140f7d.jpg

Also, get a first listen to “The Child” interpreted by Pierre Le Pape. More soundtrack related content will be shared on our social media!

That’s it. Hope you enjoyed today’s article. Stay tuned to our social media for more news!

Othercide releases July 28 on Steam. Pre-orders are open now.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
There's a new trailer,
although some footage is outdated, notably the abilities and traits selection screens.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.focus-home.com/en/news/...ffering-on-july-28-and-see-new-gameplay-today

OTHERCIDE: LEAD THE FIGHT AGAINST SUFFERING ON JULY 28 AND SEE NEW GAMEPLAY TODAY!
id-5.jpg

Focus Home Interactive and Lightbulb Crew are delighted to bring Othercide, the tactical-RPG horror game set in a dark and mysterious universe, to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on July 28, and to Nintendo Switch later this summer. In today’s Release Date Announcement Trailer, get a first look at Othercide gameplay and prepare to confront Suffering and the Nightmare Creatures.

Face nightmares in a unique tactical-RPG!

Descend into Humanity’s last hope. The Daughters, echoes of the greatest warrior to ever live, are all who stand before Suffering and death. Lead your army to battle with all the skill you can muster. Your prowess in combat will decide their fate, shape their abilities and personality. Make the toughest decision and sacrifice one to heal another - survivors will get stronger, ready to fight the next battle.

Combat is an intricate dance of spectacular actions and counters: plan ahead of time and set up impressive chains of abilities to outsmart the enemy using the Dynamic Timeline System. Fight in epic boss battles against the sources of Suffering - dread creatures pulled from the worst of Humanity’s crimes against itself.

You will fight. You will fail. You will rise again.

Othercide comes to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on July 28, and on Nintendo Switch this summer. Pre-orders are now open on Steam and Xbox One, and pre-orders on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch will soon be available.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.focus-home.com/en/news/...e-of-the-game-in-this-webseries-first-episode

DEVELOPERS DESCRIBE THE DEEP AND NIGHTMARISH UNIVERSE OF THE GAME IN THIS WEBSERIES FIRST EPISODE

Othercide brings stunning tactical-RPG action to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on July 28th, and on Nintendo Switch later this summer. As Humanity’s last hope, lead your army of Daughters to combat in an intricate dance of spectacular actions using the Dynamic Timeline System to defeat fearsome bosses in epic battles. You will fight. You will fail. You will rise again. Get your first taste of the wonderful, weird, and hellish universe Lightbulb Crew are bringing to you with Forging Nightmares, the first episode in the webseries dedicated to the making of Othercide.

A startling art style sublimes a dark universe

The perfect entry point to the game, 'Forging Nightmares' gives a background on the key characters and creatures from the Othercide universe: the Mother, her Daughters, and the terrifying Others that you will face off against. Also discussed is the art style that sets Othercide apart and gives a unique look and feel, and the real-world inspirations for the characters and situations of this disturbing reality. Influences are pulled from Japanese and western sources, as well as the real life of art director Alexandre Chaudret.

A second webseries episode will arrive in the near future as we approach launch, covering decisions made on gameplay and specific game mechanics.

Othercide comes to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on July 28, and on Nintendo Switch this summer. Pre-orders are now open on Steam and Xbox One with a 15% discount. On Steam, players can also pre-order the GAME+OST+ARTBOOK Bundle for an additional special discount. Pre-orders on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch will soon be available.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
It's several months old, but this is the first video I've seen that gives more or less detailed gameplay overview:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom