Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choices and consequences in early RPGs

norolim

Arcane
Here is the question, bros. Were choices and consequences a thing in pre-1990s RPGs?

At the turn of the 80s and 90s I got an 8-bit Atari, but I didn't have a floppy drive and most RPG for the system required one. I did however play some Ultima (I think it was Ultima IV) on my friends computer and Rogue on mine. Much later, I played Ultima I, a few M&Ms and a couple of other RPGs but I don't recall any C&C in them. Obviously, my memory may be letting me down and there are quite a number of 80s games I didn't play at all. Hence the question.

I hear Ultima V had some C&C, but what about other RPGs from the era. Do you remmeber any, that had plenty. If yes, could you please name examples of C&C in them?

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Forget C&C, I don't think stories with characters were a thing in 80s RPGs. Most floppy discs didn't have enough space for anything besides graphics and gameplay.

laclongquan

Arcane
Doubt it.

C&C become a thing after Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1, and Planescape Torment. Came to maximum attention during BG2 days.

Not heard much of it before F1. Wasteland1 and LotR is a pale thing there and then~

V_K

Arcane
Off the top of my head:
Wizardry 4, 6 and 7 had multiple endings each. Not sure about Wiz 5.
Dragon Wars had a ton of variability in how you go through it, both build-based and choice-based.
Daggerfall's main quest makes all the late 90s RPGs pale in comparison in terms of C&Cs, although that's 1996 already.
Then there are all the early Adventures, text or PnC, where making a wrong choice could turn you into a walking dead several hours later.

UPD. Some of SSI games - Pool of Radiance, Dark Sun - were also quite C&C rich.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Maybe if you consider something like Alter Ego, which is basically a huge CYOA game.

By 1988 we had Wasteland, Pool of Radiance and Quarterstaff, which all have some events with multiple solutions & rewards, but it's something very, VERY tiny, like getting money from kobolds instead of killing them, or that damn dog that Brian Fargo won't stop talking about. But they didn't have any long-lasting consequence.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Wasteland is a pretty good example of early C&C. You can do all kinds of bad or stupid stuff without locking you out of finishing the game. If you try to talk to Laurie before you get the password from Ellen she runs out of the room and some helpful information and some loot. Listening to Fat Freddy can get you in trouble. Or you can just shoot your way through most of the game, gunning down "essential" npcs and looting plot coupons off their corpses. It simply makes your life harder, but not impossible.

EDIT: Oh and the hostage situation, plus Felicia parts everywhere

Dorateen

Arcane
In 1988's Pool of Radiance, if you attacked the city guards, the party was prevented from using any of the services in Phlan until completing a council mission. Classic computer role-playing games had consequence for actions all over the place, but it was in the player's hands. We didn't need a developer narrative designer telling us what to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom