Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, I know, it's liek just a monitor strapped to your head, there are NOGAEMS and it offers absolutely no opportunity for any kind of novel gameplay possibilities and all that other shit everybody that has never tried VR constantly repeats as a cope that we've already been over ITT, and you just know this because of your deep knowledge of the subject matter:

LMAO, talking about cope. What is that shit video supposed to show that is innovative? Throwing a hand through the grates to open the door? Is that what's impossible to do without VR? My fucking sides, the stupidity and the shilling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trying to show this is not a gimmick by posting a literal gimmick. Even if that was something amazing that could only be done in VR, it would still be a one-off thing. A literal gimmick. Or how many times are you going to be amazed by the same thing?

Which is just the reason why you and people like you are raging page after page in the thread about the next Half Life game coming out for VR next month, which coincidentally made them run out of Hardware stock of their new high-end $1000 HMD to sell for the past 3 months long before Christmas, and just after another VR game made it in the Top 20 Revenue list on Steam last month.

A whole 1% of users have connected to Steam once a month with a VR device. An increase of a whole 1% in 4 years. Wow, clearly amazing stuff. This stuff if unstoppable.

Also, since you keep screaming about that shit being sold out (just like the good shill that you are, but no, claiming that stuff is sold out is not a marketing practice, no sir) would you mind telling me the numbers? Cuz you know, if they made 1000 devices and they sold them all is not really that impressive.

Personally I always go to the man that can't tell the difference between a $15 headphone and a home theater system and has an irrational hatred for them just repeatedly yelling words like "GIMMICK", despite never having owned or tried one, for advice on a new AV Receiver. Just like I go to the Bethesda community forums to find out about good RPGs.

Yeah, yeah, and I go to the shill screaming about innovation on the top of his lungs like lowliest of bethestards and posting shit videos of stupid gimmicks. Throwing a hand through the grates is enough to amaze the poor brains of VRtards. :lol:

Of course, shitbrain, if somebody doesn't like the shit you're shilling for then clearly they don't know what they're talking about. Seriously, you couldn't sound more like you've been just rolled off the shill assembly line if you tried.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm curious how they'll get the writing done. First HL game without Marc Laidlaw IIRC.

Marc Laidlaw allegedly gave them a lot of advice and notes via email. So whilst he didn't work on it directly, hopefully his indirect presence will be evident.

Wunderbar

Arcane
It will always be a gimmick because you have to wear some bloody annoying contraption on your head. There are only so many people who put up with that shit. And no, it's not the same as wearing headphones.

Let's talk again when we get Holodeck gaming.
complaining about "looking stupid" while playing VR is the most retarded complaint I've ever heard. do you live in a flophouse? do you not own doors?

It's not a matter of looking stupid.

While playing on a monitor, I am still available for conversation. It's still easy to pause and do whatever. I am not out of touch with my environment.

Those things MATTER when you are not an incel living forever alone.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The existance of gimmicks on VR games isnt proof that VR itself is a gimmick or that the status quo will remain on the future, I could easily argue:
1 - Video games on the 80's are full of Pong and Pac-Man games, basically gimmicky simple games.
2 - Video games will ever be more than gimmicky games.
3 - As the games that exist now are gimmicky, so all future games will be gimmicky.

Without mentioning, that many popamole games remain gimmicky fests and never left the past (Any Rockstar game is just a big gimmicky tech demo, full of pointless mechanics and are just pretty to look at). It isnt a problem of the technology itself but more stupidity/creative bankrupcy/greed/cynism from the company itself.

I think VR could really allow for novel gameplay on some genres as there are some complex movements that are impossible to replicate with a mouse and keyboard (A game with a functional physics based fencing system would be pretty good). It wont be the future of game (Dont believe on this retarded hype) but some genres like FPS and walking simulators with shit combat (Bethesda and Rockstar specialty) could improve from it, still, the popamole is strong on those genres so in the end VR might be only used to make popamole gameplay look more impressive but that is more the signal or retardation from the companies that made those games than truly a problem of the technology or its supposedly lack of potential.

ADL

Prophet
bo2yd4m.jpg

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Alyx and her friend talk way too much, and the teleportation movement looks awful.
This probably won't be too impressive for people without the controllers that track your hand movements, seems all the magic is in environment interaction.

Latro

Arcane
I'm curious how they'll get the writing done. First HL game without Marc Laidlaw IIRC.

Marc Laidlaw allegedly gave them a lot of advice and notes via email. So whilst he didn't work on it directly, hopefully his indirect presence will be evident.
I don't think I'm actually a fan of anything HL (writing-wise) past the original, so it's not a terribly big deal. Really disliked Alyx and cramming "oh remember THESE guys Gordon?!" into HL2.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alyx and her friend talk way too much, and the teleportation movement looks awful.
This probably won't be too impressive for people without the controllers that track your hand movements, seems all the magic is in environment interaction.

One thing to note is that even if the game allows "normal" movement, since it's designed to be playable through teleportation style controls, the game will not have any action worth of note. Because enemies will be designed to be taken down by a player mostly standing around occasionally disappearing from the scene but without the ability to avoid attacks at a good pace and they're certainly not going to force teleport players to do 30 teleports per second.

The few clips of gameplay look horribly boring garbage as expected.

Real games vs muh immersion interactive movie once again.

If this is apex AAA level development of VR then VR can choke on a cock and die gurggling.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I don't think I'm actually a fan of anything HL (writing-wise) past the original, so it's not a terribly big deal. Really disliked Alyx and cramming "oh remember THESE guys Gordon?!" into HL2.

The part where she kept acting amazed at everything you did literally made me puke. They didn't even bother trying to hide it she was just a pathetic nerd service.

But really, everything in that game was pandering garbage. "Hey Gordon, it's me, Barney! Want that beer i told you about? Ho hey, here's this crowbar i got for you. Remember the crowbar? Am i making it obvious i'm referencing the first game?

DeepOcean

Arcane
What is the point of this? To repeat the same sequences of Half Life 2 (but with worse movement) that were only impressive because it was 2004? I was bored half way through the trailer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the point is to sell off their stock of headsets

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom