Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
this is why you need more companions and less writing. so you could like in ToEE, suddenly recruit a fucking giant, or succubus, or whoever.

If you really want one liner companions with no content there is always the mercenaries.

EXP is shared anyway so you can use the companions as quest source + advisor in case of PfK. If you are going to write companions then make content for them otherwise they are not better than full party creation.

In games with no party creation feature at all I might be inclined to agree tho.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I said less writing not no writing

It is wrong anyway to dedicate as much writing as multiple chapter sprawling arcs to companions while leaving characters who act independently of you (like NPCs say Irovetti) with nothing.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What can breath hype back into this Kickstarter? Maybe if Baldur's Gate 3 turns out to be shooter looter or some other disappointment, Wrath can monetize that colossal butthurt :M

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It is wrong anyway to dedicate as much writing as multiple chapter sprawling arcs to companions while leaving characters who act independently of you (like NPCs say Irovetti) with nothing.

It's not that there is awful lot of content for PfK companions. Most of the quests are very short. But yeah NPC in general needs to be developed more and not only PfK but RPG in general.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Man. I like how Irovetti's naga came out of nowhere with little no explanation xD

Shadenuat

Arcane
that is an example of wrong priority in writing. NPCs/villains should actually have a lot more focus in RPGs but historically companions became a cliche which takes away most time from them, and you end up with game full of boring fill them ups. few games have stuff like Witcher 3 blood baron.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Man. I like how Irovetti's naga came out of nowhere with little no explanation xD

Handled better with tabletop you have hints and foreshadowing but nothing complete so your reaction is. SO THATS WHAT IT WAS instead of heh look giant space flea from nowhere, neat.

Planecape and Disco had both great NPCs and well-written Companions with long-ass quests, so having one doesn't necessarily harm the other.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Handled better with tabletop you have hints and foreshadowing but nothing complete so your reaction is. SO THATS WHAT IT WAS instead of heh look giant space flea from nowhere, neat.

Well, it's written in his diary, so not completely out of the blue.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Planecape and Disco had both great NPCs and well-written Companions with long-ass quests, so having one doesn't necessarily harm the other.
We are not talking about VNs.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

Well, it's written in his diary, so not completely out of the blue.
Sure. But it was never mentioned anywhere that he managed to enslave a naga with the power of the briar. Unless you read the diary you'd have no idea. That's why it was surprising to me.

Shadenuat

Arcane

disco companions are Skills. but yes it has solid npc, but it is a pretty small game in comparison.

planescape is just drugs on madness.

a good example of servicable everything would be something like Deus Ex 1. Arcanum is also good.

deuxhero

Arcane

While everything else is expanded in the game, Pitax is really badly slimmed down (the abbey is much larger with the gardener an actual character, Irovetti's bodyguards and generals were more than just random minibosses in the palace). The Naga however, is actually just kinda there in the AP too
King Irovetti has had his share of consorts over his years as ruler, yet he has no interest in sharing the rule of Pitax with a queen. Whenever a consort grew too keenly interested in marriage, he always found a way to end the relationship. With Engelidis, Irovetti feels he’s found the perfect partner—a creature content to serve as a guardian and (with the aid of alter self ) a lover. The fact that Engelidis is a spirit naga, a creature most of Pitax would consider a monster, helps Irovetti to justify keeping her loyalty bound to him via a constant “diet” of charm monster spells as not really being immoral or illegal; she’s just a monster, after all, not a citizen of Pitax. Were she set free, she’d certainly cause a lot of trouble, while as his loyal companion she’s providing valuable services.

The GM knows why she's there, but there's not really a good way to communicate this to the PCs unless you infer this is all public knowledge (and it's not clear if that's correct).

We are not talking about VNs.
Those games have well-written NPCs and companions. Genre is irrelevent in this argument, because gameplay is, for the most part, not writers duty.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Then you ought to come with me to /b/,

Best boards are the ones that mock jannies the most.

Because we don't kill

He said that he completed his quest, but he killed him in another playthrough because he found it uninteresting. He didn't kill it on sight just because.
My point is that we're a civilized folk here, are we not? We needn't regress ourselves to the likes of /pol/. Come now, you're in the prestigious pathfinder subforum. Show some courtesy.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
My point is that we're a civilized folk here, are we not?
You need purges to achieve this. In Good Old Days purges were made IRL by killing people; here you can just ban everyone who is not civilized enough.

You need a gun banhammer, though.
Good lad, I know just the person to do the job:
4che1vl.png

Vatnik Wumao
My point is that we're a civilized folk here, are we not?
By Crom, you civilized folk should be flogged.

"Well, last night in a tavern, a captain in the king's guard offered violence to the sweetheart of a young soldier, who naturally ran him through. But it seems there is some cursed law against killing guardsmen, and the boy and his girl fled away. It was bruited about that I was seen with them, and so today I was haled into court, and a judge asked me where the lad had gone. I replied that since he was a friend of mine, I could not betray him. Then the court waxed wroth, and the judge talked a great deal about my duty to the state, and society, and other things I did not understand, and bade me tell where my friend had flown. By this time I was becoming wrathful myself, for I had explained my position.

But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot until I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied near by, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts."

- Robert E. Howard's Queen of the Black Coast (1934)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom