Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the best games of all time

Gregz

Arcane
Would be a fun list to make, but we probably need to try something different with the points, since everyone has a lot of favorite games. A suggestion:

15 games per person
#1-5 get 5 points
#6-10 gets 3 points
#11-15 gets 1 point

The big questions are: do we include console games?

Yes

And do we include RPGs as well?

No

To police the "what is an RPG?" technicality, eliminate any title that can be found on your previous cRPG polls. Fringe cRPG titles won't be able to gain any traction or affect the poll.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would be a fun list to make, but we probably need to try something different with the points, since everyone has a lot of favorite games. A suggestion:

15 games per person
#1-5 get 5 points
#6-10 gets 3 points
#11-15 gets 1 point

Yes

No

To police the "what is an RPG?" technicality, eliminate any title that can be found on your previous cRPG polls. Fringe cRPG titles won't be able to gain any traction or affect the poll.
That's a dangerous mix, means people can vote for console RPGs... the butthurt will be glorious when Chrono Trigger wins.

Gregz

Arcane

15 games per person
#1-5 get 5 points
#6-10 gets 3 points
#11-15 gets 1 point

Yes

No

That's a dangerous mix, means people can vote for console RPGs... the butthurt will be glorious when Chrono Trigger wins.

Hmm, you have a good point there. I suppose it requires eliminating console titles.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I love it how felipepepe always finds his way into these threads in an almost eldritch manner

felipepepe: it must have dark souls
also felippeepe: it must have Sailor Fortress: Revenge of the Wild Anus

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think it's pointless. The function of such a list is presumably so that someone looking for a new game to play can find something worth his time. The Codex top 70/101 serves that purpose. But who wants a list that encompasses all genres? If you're looking for a new FPS to play, do you want to sort through a bunch of sports games or fighting games or 4X games, or are you just going to google "best FPS games"?

Gregz

Arcane
The function of such a list is presumably so that someone looking for a new game to play can find something worth his time. The Codex top 70/101 serves that purpose.

No it doesn't. Those lists don't include many awesome games that people may have not played, like Thief or Master of Magic or X-Com: UFO Defense or Pirates!, etc. etc.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Alpha Centauri, XCOM and Dwarf Fortress would be at the top - if we had any sense of class.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Actually the real killer combo is a massive excel list with linked blog entries about your reaction to what you played

And when I mean killer combo I really mean memory support system for when you get older and forget what you did last Tuesday
rating_negativeman.png

Falksi

Arcane

15 games per person
#1-5 get 5 points
#6-10 gets 3 points
#11-15 gets 1 point

I'm up for that, but I'd stretch it to 20 games

#1-5 get 5 points
#6-10 gets 3 points
#11-15 gets 2 points
#15-20 gets 1 point

I'd also definitely include RPG's & all platforms of gaming too including consoles. It's a fave games list after all. So what if RPG's are included? I think it'd be interesting to see where they'd fare against classic games of incline like Super Mario World, Hexen, Castlevania, Golden Axe, Cup Head, Grim Fandango, Soul Calibre etc.

All that ultimately matters is that we have a list which we can bitch about, and then once we've bitched about it ram down the throats of rival forums etc.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In typical Codexian fashion, first we need to have a poll to determine how many games should be on the list.
Second poll would be whether to include RPG's or not.
Third poll will be to determine what is an RPG anyway. :lol:

Citizen

It's also educational.

I haven't played every game worth playing. I'm sure there's one out there.

That's exactly why the list idea is retarded. You will always come up with the same list of 'eternal classics', just rearranged in a different order, list like this will never include obscure hidden gems type of games that you never heard about

who the fuck cares. play what you like. what is this autistic urge to create lists of everything

^aknowledge agenda

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You will always come up with the same list of 'eternal classics', just rearranged in a different order, list like this will never include obscure hidden gems type of games that you never heard about
We are not Neogaf or IGN, it will probably be people voting for the most obscure & cool game they know, rather than "Super Mario, Halo and The Last of Us".

I don't remember ever seeing Master of Magic or Heroes of Might & Magic III on a mainstream list, but they would definitely be here.

Citizen

Master of Magic or Heroes of Might & Magic III on a mainstream list

Love the games, but they are like the definition of popular and well known strategy games. Add in civilization series and you have the most mainstream list of TOP OF ALL TIME strategy games.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
who the fuck calls Heroes of Might & Magic III obscure, seriously :decline:

add some age of empires & settlers to that list and you get all the mainstream franchises from back in the day

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Master of Magic or Heroes of Might & Magic III on a mainstream list

Love the games, but they are like the definition of popular and well known strategy games. Add in civilization series and you have the most mainstream list of TOP OF ALL TIME strategy games.

Well, if you make a poll about the best games of whatever, then why are you surprised to see the best games actually pop up.

Make it a best of the hidden gems of genre X, and it could turn up some interesting stuff, with a double-sided poll where people poll on quality and on whether a game is more or less well know, so even if a game is rated high, if its too well known it gets kicked out

Could lead to some lesser known games like the Kohan or Myth games getting good positions

Curratum

Doom 2, Quake 1, Thief 2, Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 2, Dark Souls 2, The Witness, Riven: The Sequel to Myst, theHunter Call of the Wild.

You're welcome.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
who the fuck calls Heroes of Might & Magic III obscure, seriously :decline:

add some age of empires & settlers to that list and you get all the mainstream franchises from back in the day
Yeah, but it's 2020, not 1996. The try-hards should leave their echo-chambers and try to find a mainstream list with Master of Magic. Not even RPS's Top 50 strategy list has it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom