Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

laclongquan

Arcane
Do we really have to drive yourself into a frenzy just because of a fucking grammar error in a tiny message about one sub boss?

Apparently yes, yes someone do. :nazi:

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Bring Tandi along as unofficial companion.

Rescue Tandi mission. I get her out of the raiders zone (for 500xp reward). Then I reverse-steal her with a 10mm pistol and a Vault 13 suit to see if she would use that... No luck, it seem. This totall conversion mod has not any mod that turn Tandi into a controllable NPC like Katja or whomever~ I think Fallout 1 has a mod like that.

Anyway Tandi is quite aggressive, running forward to stick it with her knife. Later on I drop a combat knife on her to upgrade it lil bit but she doesnt use it. She got paper thin AC so keep her alive is going to be a special challenge.

Tandi count against the companions. The rescue mission force her onto our party, and if you send her back right away, so it's not apparent. But once I bring her to Boneyard to get Katja, it's a No for my Charisma9 character (7+2Mentat). I am scratching my head to find any way to raise my CHA to 10 so I have a full party.

EDIT: fix? I temporary change WorldMapTimeMod=3 in ddraws.ini, run like hell back to Shady Sands, run like hell back to Boneyards, and change back WorldMapTimeMod=100.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do we really have to drive yourself into a frenzy just because of a fucking grammar error in a tiny message about one sub boss?

Apparently yes, yes someone do. :nazi:
Dear experienced Fallout 1 player who is surprised Ian burst fires you in the back when given a smg-

The concern isn’t the pronoun of a critter per se, but that of regression. That a new patch / update to Fallout 1 would be released that does not address issues patched by the community well over a decade ago, such as the pronoun. This concern is based on et tu using Fixt as a base, which was always a bit more modder (tips fedora) than bug fix (TeamX).

Lexx would it be helpful for me to drop all the TeamX patch notes in here? It seems as if you’re unsure what TeamX fixes Fixt did/did not contain.

I’m not trying to denigrate your work, rather I’m trying to assess the quality of the release as compared to TeamX 1.3.5. Which had NPC leveling and NPC appearance changing with armour, for those that didn’t know.

edit: Lexx, afaik a .cre update won’t impact a creature already placed on a map, and that the creature needs to be removed and then added again to the map, and map saved, for the cre changes to manifest. I don’t think this is true for creatures spawned via script. If your test map was compiled / saved with the modified .cre, that isn’t necessarily going to capture what a player sees in the basement if that map wasn’t updated with the corrected cre file. I think this is a general behavior of the fallout engine?

Lexx

Cipher
I tested the critter ingame. It was fine for me. If it's still male for you for whatever reason, then it's a different issue. I can check again once I'm back home... /Edit: Hope this is enough proof.

No offense, but I'm modding Fallout for 15 years now, I know a thing or two.

You can't compare et Tu with TeamX Fo1 directly, because while it uses the same scripts, lots of things under the hood can be different simply because it's a conversion.

As stated many times now - the base was Fixt from 2015, which includes all the old patches and restoration mods and what else was there. However, due to its buggy nature we did lots of code changes, which in itself might cause new bugs. Who knows.

I don't really care what is a TeamX thing and what is a Fixt thing. If I don't like it, I'll delete it. If it's a bugfix, then cool. If there is still a bug to be found, point me at it and I'll check. Usually I can fix them within 5 minutes, depending on my motivation.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I restart a New Game for Jinxed Luck2 Unarmed Gifted build. The freaking invasions ruin the 1st game. This time I turn it off by default (sure sure, but without turning it on how would we know the ruination went).

Weirdly enough, this time the Jinxed cause more crit fail than the last time. More meeting encounters where I cripple my limbs. More crit fail where I cripple myself. Even Ian crit fail and set himself and Tycho and Katja on fire a bit with his Plasma pistol (very cool effect~). Crit fail and destroy the weapons happen to both my party and my opponents. edity edit: also SM using a flamer can burn Tycho to a crispy critter with 90+ damage in one go.

And before you say reload, this 1st game and 2nd game got about equal rate of reload. I am not about to change my game style.

I say with Luck2 Jinxed, a Tag on Doctor is justified. Certainly we invested it to 60 only. But that is enough to heal the cripple wounds. And the doctors doesnt heal cripples at all~ (First Aid is by reading books only, and purely for shit and giggle.)

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
So if I want to play the most stable, bugfree and feature rich versions of Fallout 1 and 2, I should get this "et tu" thing and then for FO2 the Restoration Pack, is that correct?

.Pixote.

Augur
Installing other mods might prove to be problematic - they can override scripts and prototypes - which could spell disaster for your game. The maps are built around art (walls, items, critters, scenery, tiles) all of which have their unique numbers and identifiers, mods that override any of that can crash a game...unless it was built with that particular mod in question. Fallout Et Tu hasn't been around very long and I don't think anyone has built a complementary mod for it...doesn't mean someone won't, Lilura possibly.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

laclongquan

Arcane
I humbly beg for a Tandi Companion mod.

As it is we have 3 human companion plus one dog, all of which can be satisfied with a Charisma 8. Meaning a Charisma 10 (or 8 with two mentats) is simply in no demand at all. With Tandi we have one excuse to play Heroic Charisma.

Direction? Well, I am thinking we can start with copypasta proto files of Katja into Tandi. We dont actually need Tandi head talking for normal conversation outside of Shady Sands (weapon, distance, and customize) .

There was talks about a Tandi NPC mod in NMA, but that is for purely F1, I think. And I dont know if it even complete.

laclongquan

Arcane
There is also the optional Mr Handy robot companion.
Generally at that time we would leave Dogmeat on the surface (or way back at Vault 13 or Brotherhood of Steel) for fear of SM prowess, both weaponry and their unarmed fightings. So we would have space for Mr Handy.

But if we choose Mariposa ahead of Master's Vault, and bring Mr Handy out of Mariposa.... then yeah, we would have that late game companion for a Charisma10 party

Lexx

Cipher
Can you please check my query above?
Thank you

I don't really get what you mean. If you install the RP over etTu, the game will be broken. These mods are not compatible.

If you ask if etTu is the most bug free Fo1 experience... probably. But it's also not 1:1 Fo1, so you will have to decide for yourself with what to roll.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I don't really get what you mean. If you install the RP over etTu, the game will be broken. These mods are not compatible.

If you ask if etTu is the most bug free Fo1 experience... probably. But it's also not 1:1 Fo1, so you will have to decide for yourself with what to roll.
One of these days, I will want to replay both FO1 and FO2.

So, to get most up to date, feature pack experience, for FO1 I should play etTu, and for FO2 I should play FO2 with Restoration Pack on it. Right?
I don't care about 1:1 uberfaithfulnonsense. Played 1:1 Fallout dozen times already.

laclongquan

Arcane
Da hell?

I try Luck2 Jinxed Unarmed Gifted build in Fallout Resurrection and man... it's way harder than in F1n2. The bad luck events in combat is about double (or triple, depend on how you set it) compared to other sample.

It's so bad I might have to drop the Luck2 Jinxed experiment for Resurrection.

EDIT: I test again with a Gifted Finesse Unarmed Luck6 build and it's entirely different. The damage is lower (finesse and reduced strength and perception for luck raise) but more steady, not unreasonably crit missed with criplling results. I can dish out a 50+ attack without worry about crit miss (comparison: 70+ attack can be crit missed half of the time).

Will test with Fallout 1n2 later to see how it is. The Jinxed feature do influence greatly that unarmed combat, at least compare to Finesse. Our attacks are weaker, and since without a Luck dump stat, we have to cut it somewhere (strength and perception) so the damage and sequence is obviously weaker: we can no longer lure them into attack first to get two free turns, and too weak attack mean we have to run away more. At least, that's how the earliest level feel like.

Finesse also add +25 DR to our attacks that's why the damage is quite pitiful. We are going to have to get enough skill for 95 eye-target soon or it is going to be annoying.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Energy weapon exploding is the coolest~

The plasma pistol exploding? it's blue fire dancing of death.
The turbo plasma rifle exploding? it's blue fire dancing of death for the whole party. 50 damage each when they are crowding together. it's the highest exploding effect I've experienced.

I bet not a lot of people seeing this unless they purposefully play a Jinxed Luck2. normal rate of occurence would be too slow.

Lexx

Cipher
With a tiny delay, because death is trying to get to me, v1.1 has just been released.

mI3M6pk.png

Changelog:
  • Added: Fo2-styled cavern mountain maps with random enemy and loot spawn (Optional).
  • Added: A new mining site cavern encounter map with various sets of scenery types.
  • Added: Fallout 1 barter formula mod. If you don't want to play with Fallout 2's barter formula, then this mod will revert it back to the mostly broken Fo1 version.
  • Added: More german dialog files translated, thanks to NMA user @Matt Drax
  • Added: Additional warning message for the Interface Upscale-mod, in case 'Scaling x2' is enabled and the screen resolution is too low.
  • Added: The game will end itself after critical warning popups (using Interface Upscaled mod with wrong resolution, etc).
  • Added: Blue cave wall variants of Fo2's mine interior walls.
  • Added: Blue colored cobweb, cave <-> desert transition tiles, and "water on cavewall" scenery objects.
  • Added: Fo1-styled German party member control settings interface graphic.
  • Added: Fo2 Deathclaw Spawn critter (used in random cavern encounter).
  • Added: Healing at doctors now also heals crippled limbs.
  • Added: The Gecko Skinning perk can now be obtained from a random encounter.
  • Added: A new toggle option for Fallout 2 critter in encounter maps (Geckos, etc) can be found in the fo1_settings.ini file.
  • Added: Using Nuka-Cola gives a bottle cap.
  • Added: Critical failures in dehydration-type encounters will add temporary debuff effects to the player.
  • Fixed: Armor Destroy mod will now destroy critter armors on map enter and not on critter death.
  • Fixed: Some generic "I don't know"-lines for Harold when asking keywords he knows nothing about.
  • Fixed: "Aradesh is furious" dialog string was something about human armor. Probably another Fixt-remnant.
  • Fixed: "You see: x" for party members.
  • Fixed: A possible crash when attacking Adytum with the Blades while a caravan is still in town and about to be deleted (Issue #31).
  • Fixed: After defeating the Khans Raiders and returning to their location, the player would get negative Karma.
  • Fixed: After getting the "Free Drinks"-reward from Neal in the Skum Pitt, his dialog options would still show caps, even though the drinks are free.
  • Fixed: Ant critters are now unaffected by the Animal Friend perk.
  • Fixed: Aradesh will grant the player two strikes for stealing from him, not just one + whatever was going on.
  • Fixed: Blowing up generic metal doors would print a wrong message log entry.
  • Fixed: Brahmin in special encounter should behave and float text correctly now.
  • Fixed: Breaking all limbs in a random mountain encounter event would show the wrong message string.
  • Fixed: Broken colors of the death screen when using Sfall mode 4 or 5.
  • Fixed: Caleb had a couple dialog lines mixed up.
  • Fixed: Disabling the Fo2 group restriction didn't work after telling party members to wait.
  • Fixed: Fortune Finder perk was broken in so many places. It's now reverted to vanilla Fo1 behavior + removed the Fixt setting.
  • Fixed: Hightower's strongbox would explode when using the traps skill, even though the trap has been disarmed before.
  • Fixed: Honorable fight with Garl could temporary break Hero Appearance
  • Fixed: Mr. Handy companion would spawn inside the Raiders combat arena when fighting Garl over Tandi.
  • Fixed: No animation would play when attacking the Overseer and missing.
  • Fixed: Punk Girl critter death / knock down animations would revert to the default woman critter.
  • Fixed: Renamed zone Rad. Desert -> Radiated Desert
  • Fixed: Renamed zone Rad. Mountains -> Radiated Mountains
  • Fixed: Re-Enabled the TMA lines for Avellone, the bounty hunter.
  • Fixed: Smitty in Adytum would still join the player team at the wrong time.
  • Fixed: TMA "up" button effect would play the wrong sound file.
  • Fixed: Tandi will remain correctly in Team Shady Sands™ when the player first enters the town, and also switches back correctly once returned home from the Khans.
  • Fixed: The well scenery in Adytum was misaligned.
  • Fixed: Traveling merchants will now remember if their party is full or not.
  • Fixed: Traveling with NPCs was advancing waaaay too much time.
  • Fixed: Vault 13 door terminal description was showing the wrong text. (Issue #40)
  • Fixed: Waterfall on cave walls now correctly uses the animfrvr.int script.
  • Fixed: Fo1 videos will now correctly play in Sfall mode 5 (window mode - Fo2 engine bug).
  • Fixed: Looking at dead critters with "no stealing"-flag in combat would remove action points if the player is close to them (Fo2 engine bug).
  • Fixed: Money display bug in dialog screen after leaving the barter interface (Fo2 engine bug).
  • Tweaked: After getting caught stealing by Aradesh, the dialog interface will open instead of a floating text.
  • Tweaked: Morpheus' voiced "you were warned"-line will now appear in dialog and not as a float anymore.
  • Tweaked: Doubled poison damage of small radscorpions.
  • Tweaked: Nuka-Cola gives a tiny health boost.
  • Tweaked: Slightly increased encounter chances again.
As before, find the new release on GitHub / check the first post of this thread or just go here.
IMPORTANT: Because this update is adding a new worldmap location, a new game must be started, otherwise cavern / mining site maps will not work!

The Interface Upscaled-Mod is now disabled by default. Too many folks simply ignored the warning messages that would pop up and then wondered why their game was crashing. Now you'll have to enable the mod yourself in the ddraw.ini file.

About the added caverns:
This feature probably still need some better balancing. I did lots of tweaks when toying around with it, but it's still more or less just guesswork. Will see how / in what way I am adjusting it going forward from the current base.

Also worth to note:
It's now possible to use other Sfall versions (Sfall Extended, etc) with et Tu. This won't disable certain features anymore.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lexx This continues to look great, thanks to you and the team for doing this work. Apologies if I seemed overly negative when it was first rolled out, I'm a bit distrustful of Fallout modders.

Two questions. 1) Any thoughts to using the community blue combat armor animations for the brotherhood armor? I play with that on my custom FO1 install and with the party member's change appearance scripts it's quite nice to differentiate from normal CA. 2) I remember reading on NMA a while back that some community members had modified the landing map in the Boneyard (Andytown?) so that the entrance made more sense / flowed better with the Razors to the north. Does this ring a bell, do you have any maps like that on hand, and would you consider offering it as an optional addition? It was a long time NMA member who was discussing it, maybe Conti.

Finally- any interest on your end to making a set of optional tactics tweaks to Fallout? To make creatures more intelligent and lethal, improve combat variety, etc. It would be great if some humans posed more of a late-game threat than they do right now, which is almost all reserved for mutants / nightkin.

Lexx

Cipher
1) We are using the dark combat armor critter for the Brotherhood Armor, see here. It fits the inventory icon a lot better, imo. For NPCs this can be disabled in the fo1_settings.ini file of course, as it does change the look of the Brotherhood location quite a bit.

2) No clue, but making such a mod would be fairly easy. I won't have the time to do this, though (also because I'm actually fine with how Adytum looks like).

3) Can't really do that, because it would be a huge amount of work. You can't script critters to be more intelligent, so the only thing left to do is tweaking stats - giving critters more hitpoints, etc... but this requires to replace them in maps, change scripts for encounters, etc. etc.. this would be a total conversion in itself. I'm really not sure if it would even be worth the work, because players will be able to power game around it anyway. :>

laclongquan

Arcane
Note that the new map with cave is okayish presented. It could be a normal encounter, or it could be a fall down injured encounter. I got rat, mantis already. Seem to have no loot, so I bow out of them.

EDIT: there's option in sfall about Item Highlight. Without that turn on, you wouldnot notice the tiny loot in the gloomy dark of such cavern.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom