Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
Whilst felipepepe works on the greatest ever games ever ever list, I wanna tick things over with a list where we can single out all the wank which usually appears in such lists, but are in fact actually total bollocks. Games which we always see in Journo's "Top games ever" lists, but which shouldn't be anywhere near them.

I'm talking the Mass Effect 2's of this world. A stripped down shadow of it's predecessor, and a shit shooter sandwiched between cut-scenes which somehow bizarrely gets called an RPG. It's not even a good fucking shooter at that. It's not even the best game in the franchise. Therefore if you worship this game & vote for it in top game lists, you're a cunt, and it belongs in this list.

I'm talking the fucking Skyrim's of this world which, whilst they may have some value & fun to be found, aren't a fucking patch on the earlier games in the series, and yet somehow manage to always beat them to the top echelons of lists like these.

So you could say "Overrated games", but it's more than that. It's games which have amazingly managed to con their way into the public's perception that they are even remotely anything great. Games which are questionably worth playing at all, never mind greatest game material, and who's worshipers are cunty cuntflaps. These aren't just overrated, they're outright shit experiences yet hailed as masterpieces.

I'm gonna suggest a list of games, you suggest your chaps with reasoning behind them, and then I'll add them to a poll probably. I'm a disorganized fucker so things might change, who knows.

Here's my starter list of suggestions:
  • Mass Effect 2 - Shit shooter with drawn out cut-scenes. Unbelievably hailed as a classic.
  • Skyrim - If Morrowind was a 3 course meal, this is a tin of Spam.
  • Witcher 3 - Assasins Creed with cut-scenes. Scandalously overrated. Not even on par with it's 2 predecessors.
  • Bioshock - Piss weak audio log listening sim, with shite combat and none of the depth of the System Shocks.
  • GTA 5 - Plays itself life sim wannabee, with shit gameplay.
  • Minecraft - For kids & cucks who want to touch kids.
  • LA Noire - Empty, lacking, shit.
  • Red Dead Redemption 1 - Horse riding sim in a barren, boring open world.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Horse rising sim in a barren, boring open world where you eat tinned Sardines.
  • Uncharted 2 - Dull climbing sim
My thread, my rules, so I decide if suggestions make the list or not. Sometimes I'll be open to suggestions, others not.

Additional suggestions that will go on the poll:

• Secret Of Mana - Not played in a while, but only ever remember it being average anyway
  • Seiken Deketsu 3 - Ridiculously overrated. Dull.
  • Ocarina of Time - Too easy, combat is fiddly, not a patch on some of Links other outings.
  • Pokemon - For kids & pedos.
  • Half Life 2 - Way too many physics puzzles that hinder the fun.
  • Fire Emblem - Never played, will take your word for it
  • Chrono Trigger - Very lacking. An OK game with nice music, but I recently returned to it and found it a slog.
  • Fallout 4 - Beyond shit. Some of the other games on this list are OK, just shouldn't be deemed as classics. This though is pure fucking tripe.
  • Fallout 3 - I fucking love it, so I'm a cunt, but it has to be on here to be fair to the haters of it.
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 - Ugggh. Slow, ponderous piece of self indulgent trash, which lacks the charm, pacing & fun of the original
  • Last of Us - How the fuck can killing zombies be so little fun? Just rape & shoot the damn bitch.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Like someone copy-pasted every dull open world design into one game.
  • Boarderlands 2 - Not played, will take your word for it.
  • Batman Arkham City - Feels like a starter before you get the DLC.
  • Assasins Creed - Black Cock - See everything, do little with it.
  • Far Cry 3 - Pure fucking open world busywork trash
  • Total War - I like these games, but can see why they should be on the list.
  • Undertale - Not even as good as the JRPGs of old which it's based on.
  • WoW - Never played, but online games are not my cuppa cha anyway.
  • Disco Elysium - Never played, some fair points as to why it needs to be added though.
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 - to quote samuraigaiden "graphicswhore fodder with eurotrash level design that pioneered the collectathon abomination"
  • Call of Duty 4 - Popamole propawank
  • Nier Automata - As Chaosdwarft says, "it is a good game in my opinion but it should not be part of TOP 50 games lists". In fact it's not even that good really. A lot of enjoyment comes from 2B's ass. When playing as the sidekick gimp it loses a LOT of appeal.
  • Half-Life 1 - Grampy_Bone makes a good case here, not my person POV, but a strong enough arguement for it to be added to the list - "not because it's a bad game, but because it basically killed Doom-esque non-scripted shooters for two decades, a drought we are only JUST NOW recovering from. The damage that single game has done to an entire genre is incalculable."
  • Tetris: Ultimately the strategy to Tetris is limited. Then it becomes just a distraction/ time-waster.
  • Gauntlet: Gauntlet is in my top 100 but for top 25 I went with Diablo instead. Gauntlet was a great multiplayer game, a game that captured the imagination of a generation of gamers, and a formula whose legacy includes everything from Diablo 3 to Assassin's Creed to Gain Ground to Rogue/Invisible Inc to Grand Theft Auto. But really, like Tetris, it's a game whose strategic depth is has a limit.
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4: Ultimately the weakness of this series is twofold: one, they are pretty terrible multiplayer, and two, they are strategically repetitive. The terrible multiplayer is worsened by poor AI, and the strategic shallowness is worsened by endgame complexity bloat, which this series has never managed to solve. Only SMAC ended up transcending these limitations. The enormous creative and strategic depth in SMAC's tech tree means that even after thousands of hours, one can still find a new challenge to explore and overcome in this classic.
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias: I love Castlevania but ultimately 2D platformers really do not really fit horror or exploration that well. The best fit for 2D platformer I feel is Ninja platformer, which is why I went with the masterpiece of the 2D Ninja platformer, Shinobi 3. And if not one of the Shinobi games (all are really amazing), then Strider.
  • Gain Ground: I saw Gain Ground in HCG's top 100, and it would probably make my top 100 too, but not my top 25 since I think again, a lot of what makes Gain Ground special can also be found in Invisible Inc.
  • Nethack/ Rogue: Ultimately I went with the most refined version of this genre that I feel in many ways transcend the genre, which was Invisible Inc.
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition: It's true that it inspired an entire genre and deserves credit for that. But in the 20+ years since it has been far surpassed by its successors. Let's not get too nostalgic here.

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
World of Goo - No individual would ever say it's the best even in a puzzle game only discussion, but more than one editorialship has done and continues to do so.

Secret of Mana and Seiken Deketsu 3 --------------- Front Mission Gun Hazard and Qunintet games are better as ARPG - I have always hated time freezing when magic is cast, silly inventory wheel, most bosses are dumb messes that encourage I-frame abuse to beat (mostly by casting magic or using items again) - I even respect people who say Crusader of Centy or Beyond Oasis as their favorite ARPG over these even though those kind of votes are hopeless personal favoritism.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - This is the story-fag game among Japanese SRPG fans. However comparing it to Planescape's bad combat is an understatement. in exchange for having a better story than (other fire emblem games) - this game will put you through the boredom of having an army of invincible super soldiers, sitting through 60-70 enemies shuffle around as the AI cursor highlights them one by one, huge empty maps that require 8 full turns of movement between fighting enemy groups, Shamelessly high defensive stats for player charathers, including the healers and the frail swordmaster types, The second boss in the game having an anti-horse weapon and the optimal way to beat him is still mash your main charather horse into his face anyway, and all enemy units are peremeantly welded together in 3x3 or 5x5 tactical blocks so if you fight one you fight them all.

Final Fantasy Tactics - The opposite problem for Japanese SRPGs - this is a game that is hopelessly overdesigned - I think this is very fun in something like Master of Magic or a normal Job-system Turn Based RPG, but in a tactics game it's just really dumb - you have the option to mindlessly grind for stuff like the Mathematician but the default soldier has a PERMENANT SLOW Ability- Game gives you a free recruit of a Permeant Haste guy in Act 3, AI has seizures if you use terrain elevation, story tries to be a political drama for 40 hours before giving up and introducing supernatural shit.

Lemming42

Arcane
So it's games we don't like that are generally considered unassailable masterpieces in the mainstream?

Ocarina of Time - it's not an outright bad game but fucking hell, what do people see in it?

Mass Effect (entire series) - embarrassing writing throughout, barely-there gameplay, cringey dialogue where the wheel keeps making you say absurd shit you didn't intend to, completely un-likeable cast of party members...

Pokemon - total shit for literal children. The same inherent problems you get with any other jRPG, except somehow even more dull

Half-Life 2 - worse than the original in practically every regard, runs on an engine that dated to the point of looking uggo as fuck really fast, completely shit plot, worthless weak-feeling combat, vehicle segments that simply should not have been in the game, completely loses the sense of pace and momentum that makes Half-Life 1 a good game despite its flaws, etc

BioShock (whole series) - someone else can come and explain why

Grand Theft Auto (entire series) - very boring games with consistently awful writing that manages to somehow be even worse than most crime films

Fire Emblem (entire series) - crap

Chrono Trigger - it's not a bad game but, like with OoT, people just get absolutely dripping wet for it in a way that it really doesn't seem to earn

Don't know where you're coming from with LA Noire and Skyrim, though - I'm fairly certain the mainstream consensus on both is that they've got huge glaring flaws that counterbalance the good points.

Sykar

Arcane
+_3fdf09fbff82b745fbe5749eb04995b3.jpg

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Add to your list FO 3 and 4 (obvious reasons), Metro (extremely generic series with no improvements in any department), MMOs (bad at everything, writing, combat, items, abilities etc.), The Outer Worlds (like someone mentioned, "offensively mediocre"), Underworld Ascendant (do I need to state the reasons? Really?).
Anyway these are just off the top of my head.

Curratum

I don't worship Skyrim, GTA 5 and Minecraft but played and enjoyed them. I do worship Witcher 3. You're a cunt if you think anyone wants to read your edgy drivel.

spectre

Arcane
Batman: Arkham City - I'm listing this one because I've actually seen it in a metacritic top50. I suppose first one was okay-ish for the novelty factor, but the rest of the games in the series feel overgrown and derivative.
Perhaps that's just me, but everything about the gameplay is tedious - from the open worlds filled with unlockables that unlock unlockables down to the combat. I don't believe this shit has any business being in any kind of top X list,
unless you want to out yourself as a blyatman fag.

Assbandit's Creed - IMO, these games have one and only one thing going for them - the detail that went into the architecture. Gameplay and story wise, the only one that was close to bearable was Black Fag.
The rest of the entries go out of their way to sully your period-piece experience by injecting its modern-day and ancient-aliens crap. Nevermind the unlikable main characters.

Far Cry 3 - I suppose this could be merged into one with the Assbandit series (and Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's like different bulges from one smelly tumor), as both suffer from the Ubisoft Game Syndrome - if you played one, you pretty much played them all...
and none were any good really. Now, for Far Cries, I never played the first one, the best I could say about the second is that it's decent but deeply flawed. Third is pure decline all over, and all that hue hue I subvert you business that
came out in the story only served to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the entries bored me out of my skull.

Non-games - now, I confess I'm not an expert cause I actively avoid this shit, my recent encounter with the genre being "Senua's Sacrifice". If you see any of those on a top whatever list, it was probably there to score points with...
whatever crowd cares about this "hurr durr, muh gayms are art" garbage.

Now, if we want to delve outside the scope of General Gaming, here's two more:

Anything past Civilization 4. I'm a huge fag for Civiliation, the original one being one of my first PC games ever. Civ4 was mediocre on release, and got straightened out with expansion, with mods elevating it to true greatness.
Now, I gave 5 and 6 a fair spin and there was nothing. It's not a good strategy game, it's not even a good game, just cutesly, pointless shit piled on other pointless shit... which the AI can't even use and only maintains a facade of being "competitive"
due to artificial bonuses (which isn't necessarily bad when one wants an unfair difficulty level on purpose, the problem is when the AI doesn't seem to play the same game as the player anymore). I even tried coop, cause I heard it's better in multi, but not really.

Total War - any TW game newer than Rome 1 on a best ever list is a guaranteed raised eyebrow from me. The series declined heavily ever since Medieval 2, which didn't even have an AI on release, then it went further downhill after the engine "upgrade".
For me, the later entries are a schizophrenic mess - they want you to zoom in and behold all the fancy animations, but if you zoom in, you lose any kind of control over the battlefield. They keep adding unnecessary bloat to the strategic layer,
forcing you to spend hours on deciding which +1% bonus to pick over the rest, dragging away from where the game supposedly shines - the battles. Last TW game which gave a decent first impression was Shogun 2,
and even then it had cretinous stuff like AT conjuring up full armies with experienced units out of thin air outside the fog of war. Congratulations, cretins, you found a way to add level scaling encounters to a fucking strategy game.
Once again, we have the cardinal sin of the AI playing a different game than the player.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Far Cry 3 - I suppose this could be merged into one with the Assbandit series (and Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's like different bulges from one smelly tumor), as both suffer from the Ubisoft Game Syndrome - if you played one, you pretty much played them all...
and none were any good really. Now, for Far Cries, I never played the first one, the best I could say about the second is that it's decent but deeply flawed. Third is pure decline all over, and all that hue hue I subvert you business that
came out in the story only served to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the entries bored me out of my skull.

is this the one with the dino's. I can't remember

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's my starter list of suggestions:
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Skyrim
  • Witcher 3
  • Bioshock
  • GTA 5
  • Minecraft
  • LA Noire
  • Red Dead Redemption 1
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Uncharted 2
My thread, my rules, so I decide if suggestions make the list or not. Sometimes I'll be open to suggestions, others not.
All great games.

Reading this thread, it's funny that several people are listing genuinly great games here. Total War games, GTA, all Bioshock? Roffles!

Lemming42

Arcane

is this the one with the dino's. I can't remember

It's the one where pirates capture you and you go on a berserk rampage across the island, decimating their forces. It's actually a good game, I dunno why people don't like it. The plot gets fucking terrible with the tribal/mystic shit, but even then that's only about 20 minutes of the game, the rest is just self-aware ridiculous action movie fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 3 is overrated as fuck as an RPG, but as an open world action game? Much more plausible top 50 candidate. Same for Mass Effect 2 I guess, for people who like popamole cover shooting I'm sure that's a top 10 game, let alone top 50. That's an issue with a "top 50 everything!" list... everything's relative at that point, it's all about what appeals to a specific person rather than the ideas of a specific genre. That's why I'd be happier with a "top 50 shooters" list or whatever.

For me personally... I mostly hate games that are more about being movies than interactive, so Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted spring to mind. Seeing those on a Codex top 50 would make me sad.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Chrono Trigger and MGS3 are, in fact, pretty good

--------------------------------------

As for my suggestion, anything named Halo shouldn't be anywhere near these lists

spectre

Arcane
It's the one where pirates capture you and you go on a berserk rampage across the island, decimating their forces. It's actually a good game, I dunno why people don't like it.

While I actually played it co completion, I had a few problems with it, off the top of my head:
The pew pew pew sticks felt all samey, especially when you put a supressor on it. This plagues the other games in the genre as well. The only difference is in bullet count.
Exploration is unrewarding, as though the mappers made a bunch of decent landmarks and hidden locations, but the other team forgot to put anything meaningful in there.
And then there's the fucking QTE boss fights man...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm talking the Mass Effect 2's of this world. A stripped down shadow of it's predecessor, and a shit shooter sandwiched between cut-scenes which somehow bizarrely gets called an RPG. It's not even a good fucking shooter at that. It's not even the best game in the franchise. Therefore if you worship this game & vote for it in top game lists, you're a cunt, and it belongs in this list.

You should replace Mass Effect 2 with first game as ME1 is a piece of shit game thats also on a Codex top 70 list of best RPGs of all time, while ME2 is not on that list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom