Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aurora - the 4X dwarf fortress

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Massive improvement:

I am running 5-day increments and they are taking 0.17 seconds each, so definitely faster

I can't find the post where he timed how long it took civilian shipping lines of 14 different powers to re-calculate their trade routes but even that was super fast. Combined with the improved AI, turns will be blazing fast now.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I found the other post:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.60
Given that every civilian freighter without orders is checking every system, population and trade good in known space to find a suitable trade route, there might be a concern regarding performance. My current campaign is an ideal test bed, as I have removed every order from every fleet due to the incompatibility of the VB6 and C# database structures. Which means in the first trade phase after program start, the code is checking all 364 civilian freighters in a universe with 495 star systems, 1343 jump points, 380 Lagrange points, 345 populations and 23 different races. That first trade phase, including identifying routes for all freighters and creating 1896 individual movement orders (including load/unload, transits and LG points) required 1.01 seconds.

Colony fleets follow similarly complex rules, explained in the link below. Routing 198 civilian colony fleets using these rules, along with every other ship with Standing Orders, added a further 619 movement orders and required 0.56 seconds.

So there's no longer a need to wipe out the civilian shipping lines once your empire grows past a dozen systems.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gotta ask: is there a comprehensive tutorial somewhere for the C Sharp version?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I made a new thread in Space Games:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/aurora-c.132594/

Also:

Zt79Wli.png

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've thumbed around a bit. So far, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I like how its detail trumps Space Empires IV and Distant Worlds in terms of depth and customization.

Incantatar

Cipher
Is the new C# version able to support lower resolutions? I've wanted to give Aurora a deep look with the C# version, but not being able to use it due to my computer resolution is kind of ridiculous
Not really, there was a mod where you could resize and change regional settings (something I hate to do manually) but it's not maintained anymore. The mod author gave his code to Steve, who has a rage boner for everything mod related.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I haven't followed its development for quite a while, but there are two, non-exclusive reasons:
1. To make modding difficult/impossible
2. To make sure nobody "steals" his code

Both are kinda stupid imo.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I haven't followed its development for quite a while, but there are two, non-exclusive reasons:
1. To make modding difficult/impossible
2. To make sure nobody "steals" his code

Both are kinda stupid imo.
I played the game when this came up. What the dev claimed is that he is developing the game for his own pleasure and releasing it for free as a favor but people mod the game and then they bother him about bugs caused by mods and that wastes his time and pisses him off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom