Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the next CRPG I should play? I will report my thoughts back. POLL

What's the next CRPG I should play?

• Disco Elysium

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Pillars of Eternity 2 (turn based mode)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Elminage Gothic

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other (post you suggestion)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Ultima 4

• Fallout 1

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • Avernum

• Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer

• Arcanum 2

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Serpent in the Staglands

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Tyranny

• Wasteland 2

• Grimoire

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Darklands

• Total voters

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Men,

The plurality of choices I am faced with forces me to ask the codex for advice. I want to start playing another CRPG after a long hiatus. But I cannot decide between the games sitting on my hard drive. I wish to submit to the general will and will abide by the result of my democratic poll. One say, one vote.

I will post my thoughts about the game that I end up playing in multiple posts. First thoughts, concluding thoughts, intermittent thoughts, you name it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you haven't played Fallout, that should be your first priority. No excuses.

Is it possible to play directly Mask of the Betrayer skipping the main campaign of NN2?
Absolutely! I wouldn't want to go through NWN2 again personally (I found it terribly boring and uninspired). MotB on the other hand is a fantastic, mind-bogglingly unique experience. The story is a continuation of NWN2's story but it really isn't necessary to play NWN2 to understand MotB.

I'd recommend to play either Fallout 1 or MotB (without NWN2) as these are the only two on the list that made a lasting impression on me. For games not on the list I'd recommend my personal "Big Five": Grimoire, Ultima 7, Gothic 2, Dark Disciples II and BG1 (not EE).

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not having played Fallout 1 and having a membership here is a bannable offense. Get the fuck crackin', nigga.

Fallout 1 is the best cRPG ever made. The fuck you waiting for?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What's great about Dark Disciples 2, out of curiosity? Never played it.
I've only played the first one but it's among the very best games I've played when it comes to putting points into stats to be able and overcome obstacles one way or another, and the second one is meant to be better than the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom