Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I love early access cuz I wait for everyone to beta test the game for me then I buy it years later when it is patched to a good condition, and sold at a discount. :smug:

I do make exceptions though if the game is exceptionally good and released in a good state. But this is 1 in a billion.

Neerasrc

Learned
If a gameplay like "DAO" comes out, we will have to wait too long. The size of the game is obvious. About 100 hours of experience (bg3) The number of employees for an AAA level game is already low. (350) No publisher support. (they will publish themselves) Larian has no big budget anyway. Hasbro (wotc) has to send money to Larian. Otherwise, the project will be canceled. (Maybe kickstarter can solve this problem) In summary, it becomes a very problematic process. I don't think Larian will take this risk.

I don't think DA:O would require that much investment today. They doubled their staff from Divinity 2 I believe, which was already 3D, so they're not doing the same thing surely. I dunno, we'll see, not saying you're wrong.

DAO looks like an AA game today. Maybe if bg3 comes out as an AA level game this is partially possible. Let's wait and see.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If a gameplay like "DAO" comes out, we will have to wait too long. The size of the game is obvious. About 100 hours of experience (bg3) The number of employees for an AAA level game is already low. (350) No publisher support. (they will publish themselves) Larian has no big budget anyway. Hasbro (wotc) has to send money to Larian. Otherwise, the project will be canceled. (Maybe kickstarter can solve this problem) In summary, it becomes a very problematic process. I don't think Larian will take this risk.

I don't think DA:O would require that much investment today. They doubled their staff from Divinity 2 I believe, which was already 3D, so they're not doing the same thing surely. I dunno, we'll see, not saying you're wrong.

Yeah a lot of techniques like mocap (or even just professional voice acting) are a lot more affordable to AA games these days. Such things were a lot more expensive back a decade.

Molina

Savant
RPG Codex - Where bitter 30 year old virgins despair over modern games not fulfilling the gaming experiences they had when they were 15.

Excessive nostalgia is clinically defined as a mental disease, seek help.
30 year olds?! Baldurs Gate was released 22 years ago. I doubt many 8 year olds played it.
Me. I spent... I dunno, maybe 10h to create my characters. Besides, I was better at the game than my brother who was ten years older. At the time, I was amazed that you could create your own character. I was more used to play monkey island or sim city than cRPG. Then, at 12 yo, I met the messiah. Arcanum.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is no indication that Hasbro is funding Baldur's Gate 3's development. I don't know why you would think that Larian "has no big budget". They've been very successful.

They are getting some extra bucks from Google for putting it on the Stadia, though.

Neerasrc

Learned
There is no indication that Hasbro is funding Baldur's Gate 3's development. I don't know why you would think that Larian "has no big budget". They've been very successful.

They are getting some extra bucks from Google for putting it on the Stadia, though.

Yes, there is no doubt that they are successful, but it is impossible to make 100 hours of AAA with 2/5 million sales. (In a period of 3.5 years) Moreover, 350 people. [Consoles are not included.] It doesn't make much sense to me. I hope google will save them. I want Larian to succeed, but it doesn't look rational / realistic in the current circumstances.
https://steamspy.com/app/435150
Currently there is no mechanically advanced rpg game with Diablo 4 visual / animation. I hope it will be Bg3. Mechanically, the divinity engine is quite sufficient, but the visual question mark.
Maybe I'm wrong. I do not know. What I said is guess. Let's wait and see.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, there will be an improvement in the graphic sense. We already knew that. (Transfers from Poland ..) Anyway, only 4 days left anyway -)

My point was more that if the graphics are good enough for in-engine cutscenes and dialog moments, they're good enough to walk around in third-person through. If that's the case, why wouldn't you have a third-person exploration mode? It would dramatically raise your potential sales.

The possibility of "might and magic legacy" style has been discussed before here -) A lot of theory can be produced, but there is no need, because there is very little time left. Let's wait and see.

Its practically impossible that any modern AAA RPG will be first person blobber. Its pretty much a genre more niche than isometric/top-down CRPG which is already a niche on its own.

But yes, we will see in a few days.

turkishronin

Arcane
lol

leaked photo of BG3 thanks to belarusian
hackers

BG3-redrct.jpg

:troll:
Would play that still.

nice boobs

vonAchdorf

Arcane
He's now big enough to sell the studio to THQ, Tencent, CDPR if he's running out of money.

Neerasrc

Learned
I'm looking forward to Swen's 2022 GDC talk about all the hustle he's done to make this gigantic production possible.

See the video below. I took the animations from the game and added a background (picture). In fact, much is possible if something similar can be integrated into the divinity engine. The interesting thing is that there are transfers from the CD Projekt Red team. I don't know? :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19nOID_Md2mZPSywojcjGKHlKI8f-qWPL

Elex

Arbiter

We know that wotc is directly involved, their game designers are working with Larian.

They marketed BG: DIA as a BG3 prequel.

So at least hasbro is investing man power and marketing budget.
(And today marketing can be 50% or more of a total budget).

And that mean they are investing money in BG3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, yes, the marketing. We didn't hear anything about the game for like 7+ months after they announced it. Very marketing, much expenditure, wow.

Dodo1610

Arcane
WOTC is investing in its brand, not the game. DIA is profiting from BG3 not the other way around. If BG3 fails WOTC loses nothing, they will make money from the license fees regardless. If it sells well, WOTC is getting more money from the license fees and maybe even additional costumers for other DND products

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom