Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

marketing geniuses at it again
rating_salute.gif

They are, though. Not that difficult to give out free games to five people who actually plan to buy Xbone X.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My money is on CP77 being larger version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, rather than being anywhere close to Deus Ex (2000).

If it's trying to earn its "RPG" label then maybe somewhere between there, but yeah probably. Either way I'm fine with it. Open world Deus Ex HR with CDPR's writing would please me greatly. I'm not gonna pretend otherwise.

Wesp5

Arcane
I don't get why people think Human Revolution had any significant degree of exploration or secrets. It didn't.

In my opinion no Deus Ex game had. All alternatives were so obviously constructed as if they build the maps around them which they probably did...

Zer0wing

Cipher
Comments about open world Deus Ex: HR are so funny and full of optimism. Latest Deep Dive shows something more akin to bastard child of Witcher 3 (intentory and itemization) and Fallout 4 (similar rpg-lite progression) with cyberpunk (as a genre) specific gimmicks. And zero Cyberpunk 2020 besides fluff and art.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Deus Ex does have some solutions baked into the level design, but the gameplay doesn't devolve into forking paths where you simply choose between the vent path or the hacking path or the punch through walls path. They're like Thief levels, with loops and branches that offer different vantage points and tactical benefits. The difference between the two is that Deus Ex is more focused on its RPG systems and offering a range of options between stealth and combat, where Thief was more explicitly built around stealth challenges. But whether you lockpick through the back door or build a stack of crates to get up to the balcony, you'll still have to sneak past or confront enemies using the tools at your disposal. This freedom to approach obstacles from a variety of different angles and with a variety of different character builds and equipment is what gives Deus Ex its sense of player agency, while HR feels more like you're just slotting into one of several scripted solutions, since the vent path or specialized aug path will often allow you to bypass enemies altogether.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deus Ex does have some solutions baked into the level design, but the gameplay doesn't devolve into forking paths where you simply choose between the vent path or the hacking path or the punch through walls path. They're like Thief levels, with loops and branches that offer different vantage points and tactical benefits. The difference between the two is that Deus Ex is more focused on its RPG systems and offering a range of options between stealth and combat, where Thief was more explicitly built around stealth challenges. But whether you lockpick through the back door or build a stack of crates to get up to the balcony, you'll still have to sneak past or confront enemies using the tools at your disposal. This freedom to approach obstacles from a variety of different angles and with a variety of different character builds and equipment is what gives Deus Ex its sense of player agency, while HR feels more like you're just slotting into one of several scripted solutions, since the vent path or specialized aug path will often allow you to bypass enemies altogether.

I thoroughly enjoyed HR, but you're not wrong. Hence saying Cyberpunk will likely be an open world HR, not an open world "Deus Ex" in general. Also I'm just going off early previews and descriptions, it could have changed since then.

Grimes talks about Lizzy Wizzy during livestream (spoilers).

Summary of what is said in the livestream

>!spoiler! I did my voice acting for Lizzy Wizzy, that game is going to be fucking good. I mean I haven’t played it, but I saw someone play an hour of the game. The game was fantastic, and I play a pop star who committed suicide on stage, and they had to quickly come and preform emergency surgery and replace her whole body with cybernetics while she was dead for an hour and then she finished the show as a cyborg. One of the greatest pieces of performance art ever made.>!spoiler!

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...es_talks_about_lizzy_wizzy_during_livestream/

S.torch

Arbiter
My question would be: what was so great about Deus Ex: Human Revolution that you think it's "funny and full of optimism"? That isn't exactly a high bar to reach and exceed.

You should have written: "Inquisitive query:" and then the question. :shittydog:

Zer0wing

Cipher
My question would be: what was so great about Deus Ex: Human Revolution that you think it's "funny and full of optimism"? That isn't exactly a high bar to reach and exceed.
That CDPR is not even going to exceed that bar. Yes, I consider Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 (at least gameplay of those games) a lower point than HR.
Mankind Divided has far more refined gameplay anyway, like it or not.

curry

Arcane
Considering their total silence, I guess something is better than nothing.
If the rumours are true, they have huge problems making the game run on consoles. That means there's a good chance they are in the process of downgrading the game and that's hardly something you'd want to show the potential customers. You should expect the game to look worse than it looked in the 40min gameplay teaser.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If the rumours are true, they have huge problems making the game run on consoles. That means there's a good chance they are in the process of downgrading the game and that's hardly something you'd want to show the potential customers. You should expect the game to look worse than it looked in the 40min gameplay teaser.

I don't understand why this keeps happening with cdpr. Why can't they just downgrade the console versions of their games and leave the ones on PC looking amazing? I'm so sick of being held back by normalfag console gamers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom