Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
O couple all non combat things into storyfag.

Vorark

Erudite
Is there a particulary effective way to level the Guiding Lands? Or is it just gathering tracks/killing stuff galore?

From what I've read:

- Captures yield more points than kills, so try to go for the former when the monster starts to limp/returns to the nest/has a skull symbol.

- Cheese method: spam shock and pitfall traps, 'cause each time the monster gets stuck in one you earn points. Once the monster gets caught, lay down another one. Yes, it's boring and against the spirit of the game but gets the job done.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait, the expansion didn't fix the awful weapon models?

They improved a lot but they still use bone/iron weapon models for like 50% of weapons. Base game was like 70% bone/iron variants. The worst is Hunting Horn. Like 90% of them are just bone/iron weapon recolors still.

Probably MHW2 will be when they will get all unique models again.

Vorark

Erudite
^ More monster skeletons to begin with. Bringing back the crabs, insects and most mammals would do wonders for variety.

Anyway, I picked up IB after a local Steam reseller discounted it, couldn't resist. Surprisingly, performance is quite good and the game is running better than before the IB patch on my humble PC, Win7 + DX11. Getting roasted once in a while does wonders for patching efficiency it seems, fingers crossed Capcom won't botch it a la Kulve Taroth update. Gonna be even better once Denuvo is removed.

The new hub and area remind me so much of Pokke Village and Snowy Mountains. Right in the feels. :love:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
^ More monster skeletons to begin with. Bringing back the crabs, insects and most mammals would do wonders for variety.
But they can (and should) make all of those additions on the existing MHW right now. There is nothing within their technological limits from simply continuing to add on to this game.

mogwaimon

Magister
I think there's a good case for them being able to keep adding on, with Master Rank and not G-rank, and the expansion actually being named Iceborne instead of Ultimate. But eventually there will be a MHW2, that's just the way of the world.

Vorark

Erudite
Indeed, when IB was announced I thought Capcom would keep releasing thematic expansions, hence why it was called Iceborne instead of World G. Maybe it was the plan... or still is? Game has a lot of fuel to burn and would be a shame to leave it so soon.

Perkel

Arcane
I think there's a good case for them being able to keep adding on, with Master Rank and not G-rank, and the expansion actually being named Iceborne instead of Ultimate. But eventually there will be a MHW2, that's just the way of the world.

I don't see how they can release another iceborne like expansion. Game structure simply doesn't support it.
Only way to add to it are DLC like Rajang.

mogwaimon

Magister
like, what do you mean the game structure simply doesn't support it? I mean it's a 9/10 chance that they won't release another expansion but you can't discount that this was a highly unusual expansion for a Monster Hunter. Got its own name instead of just being called Ultimate, and instead of G-rank we got Master Rank. There's a slim possibility that they might do a volcanic region of some sort since they don't already have one, unless you count Elder's Recess, or maybe a Tower type area.

Perkel

Arcane
What i mean by that is that you can't add master rank 2 on top of that.

mogwaimon

Magister
that's not necessarily true, depends on what they want to do with it. put G-rank in and retcon/reveal that Master Rank was an intermediary rank between HR and G-rank the whole time that only existed in the New World or something. While having just three ranks is traditional in MH, this one is anything but. I mean, I do think the chances of them actually doing it are, again, low, but just saying they can't do it at all because you can't add master rank 2 is kinda shortsighted too...especially when G-rank has also had multiple ranks within itself in, say, Frontier where it went from G-rank 1 all the way up to 8 and then had monsters even tougher than that besides

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I think perhaps the sort of addition to the game that MHW may not be able to support without creating a new engine and thus a MHW2, is something like putting back swimming mechanics in for underwater combat.

BDY

Novice
They've already said that Iceborne is the G-rank version for World, and that it'll be the only expansion. The next big project they're probably already working on is the 6th gen.

Vorark

Erudite
Clutch claw needed more time in the oven...

Out of the weapons I've tested, it only works reasonably well with the SnS, Hammer and somewhat with the IG jump move yet it still isn't a 100% seamless process. Moreover, there are targeting and camera problems, sometimes I aim to the head and end up grabbing a leg or a wing, or try to change positions and the camera spazz out. So far it breaks the flow of the combat mora than enhances it. On another note, monsters don't seem to build resistance to the clutch so in theory you could just keep grabbing and slamming them to a wall for free damage + hits; if it's indeed true then it's a retread of the 4U mounting spam.

Other than that, I'm digging the expansion. Only subspecies I've thought so far is Viper Tobi and it turned out to be a great spin on the base Tobi, which always felt like discount Zinogre.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm about to start the grind to get Silver Rathalos to show up (Master Rank 70). It's gonna take a lot of time, even with the event quests currently up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom