Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the next CRPG I should play? I will report my thoughts back. POLL

What's the next CRPG I should play?

• Disco Elysium

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Pillars of Eternity 2 (turn based mode)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Elminage Gothic

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other (post you suggestion)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Ultima 4

• Fallout 1

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • Avernum

• Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer

• Arcanum 2

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Serpent in the Staglands

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Tyranny

• Wasteland 2

• Grimoire

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Darklands

• Total voters
What's great about Dark Disciples 2, out of curiosity? Never played it.
I've only played the first one but it's among the very best games I've played when it comes to putting points into stats to be able and overcome obstacles one way or another, and the second one is meant to be better than the first one.
DD2 is much, much better than DD1. There are so many interesting puzzles and quests in this game and so different ways to approach them. Additionally the world is massive and varied, the exploration is great, the story is interesting enough and there is just so much to do. DD1 was a fine game but DD2 is brillant and entertained me for many, many weeks. I just began playing it one day without great hopes and got completely sucked in for a long time.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
How the hell was this guy allowed to be a member for 7 years without playing Fallout, what the fuck codex??

Joking aside you should play Fallout, it's probably the best CRPG of all time, if not play avernum it's really good.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
How badly does Escape From The Pit fuck up Avernum?
I usually spring for original in these cases but the new art design just looks so nice..

Reality

Learned
Fallout is incredibly short might as well do it first so you have energy for a second game -

For me personally, I think all TRPGs are short so I would also do Wasteland 2, but I understand that's a playstyle thing, and the 2nd shortest game after fallout for most other people would probably be Ultima 4 / Arcanum 2.

Although maybe trying for 2-3 short games would be more exhausting than 1 big game.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
You should never play:
Disco Elysium, Divinity Original Sin 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pillars of Eternity 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Serpent in the Staglands, Torment Tides of Numenera, Tyranny, Wasteland 2, Grimoire, Darklands

Play: Fallout 1 or Temple of Elemental Evil

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Play Torment so you can suffer the same disappointment that I did

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Play Ultima IV if you're an incel, play Wizardry 1 if you're a Chad, play Darklands if you're a married man.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What in your opinion is the greatest JRPG ever?
Japanese-developed RPG: Dragon's Dogma
JRPG subgenre: Final Fantasy VI

Although the original Final Fantasy has the best bestiary, due to ripping heavily off Dungeons & Dragons, complete with classic concept art by Amano:

Sahagin_ff1.jpg

Mindflayer_ff1.jpg

Marilith_ff1.jpg

Baretta-ff1-art.png

Amano_FF1_Ochu.gif

Sahuagin, Mind Flayer, Type V Demon Marilith, Bulette, Otyugh

Codex Year of the Donut
What in your opinion is the greatest JRPG ever?
Japanese-developed RPG: Dragon's Dogma
JRPG subgenre: Final Fantasy VI

Although the original Final Fantasy has the best bestiary, due to ripping heavily off Dungeons & Dragons, complete with classic concept art by Amano:

Sahagin_ff1.jpg

Mindflayer_ff1.jpg

Marilith_ff1.jpg

Baretta-ff1-art.png

Amano_FF1_Ochu.gif

Sahuagin, Mind Flayer, Type V Demon Marilith, Bulette, Otyugh
where are the oversized belt buckles?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's great about Dark Disciples 2, out of curiosity? Never played it.
I've only played the first one but it's among the very best games I've played when it comes to putting points into stats to be able and overcome obstacles one way or another, and the second one is meant to be better than the first one.

There's even a third one, but labelled as a mod for the 2nd

edit: http://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225 (it's Temple of Eternity, the original DD2 is Rise of the Earth Spirits)

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
You should wait before playing Fallout. Otherwise, you'll end up like the rest of us, saying everything sucks.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You should wait before playing Fallout. Otherwise, you'll end up like the rest of us, saying everything sucks.

He could also end as one of the defectives who thinks Fallout sucks, like ItsChon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom