Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The only scenario in which it's gonna be turn-based is if Swen wants to take a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge risk, maybe even a dumb risk. The only way that would work is the old "famous because it's famous" trick, to spin it during marketing into something "must have" for normies. That isn't entirely in his control, though, the game "journalists" have to have an unreasonable obsession with it (like with D:OS2).
What? They have absolutely zero reason to move away from a formula that works.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The formula is not the same, there are 3 (?) more studios working on BG3 than on D:OS2. We've been over this.

Molina

Savant
The only scenario in which it's gonna be turn-based is if Swen wants to take a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge risk, maybe even a dumb risk. The only way that would work is the old "famous because it's famous" trick, to spin it during marketing into something "must have" for normies. That isn't entirely in his control, though, the game "journalists" have to have an unreasonable obsession with it (like with D:OS2).
We speak about Larian, a studio that changes gameplay of its franchise every 2 games since 1996, and having made Diablo-like, TPS, RTS, turn by turn...

Codex Year of the Donut
We speak about Larian, a studio that changes gameplay of its franchise every 2 games since 1996, and having made Diablo-like, TPS, RTS, turn by turn...
Swen himself has stated that it was due to publisher demand, and he always wanted to make turn-based games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh God, please don't suck. Is it going to suck? Do you think it'll suck? It's going to suck isn't it? I can't believe you think it's going to suck. This is me, looking on in disbelief, that you think Baldur's Gate 3 is going to suck. Maybe it will suck. It's going to suck. It sucks. There, I said it, I caved in to your viewpoint, it sucks. Fuck Swen.

But is it going to suck?

Curratum

Frankly, at this point I don't even care if it's going to suck. I bought Pillars 2, Kingmaker and god knows what else and I still haven't played them. Why waste even more money on games I'd never play properly...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regarding the whole motion capture and all the details they put on characters. I won't be surprised if the end result will be something like this:

It will not be turn-based. It will be something more like this

I hope its a turn based play-by-mail first person racing game just to fuck with all these paleo-gamers that reject PROGRESS. Fuck real time with pause and fuck people who like real time with pause.

your statement is full of contradictions

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I hope its a turn based play-by-mail first person racing game just to fuck with all these paleo-gamers that reject PROGRESS. Fuck real time with pause and fuck people who like real time with pause.

TB RPG is technically more of a regression because games back there need to run on toaster. Now who is rejecting progress again? :smug:

Codex Year of the Donut

TB RPG is technically more of a regression because games back there need to run on toaster. Now who is rejecting progress again? :smug:
dungeon master ran fine

Codex Year of the Donut

Radiane

Cipher
tomorrow will be the day we catch a glimpse at our Avatar who will soon walk among us to eradicate all the bad crpgs

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't mind BG3 to follow BG2 and be RTWP, but following all the hints so far I'm pretty sure it will be turn based this time - with the possible twist of the camera view being different like the above posts of yakuza/xcom style

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If it's turn based I'm going to be pissed enough that I won't touch it. Just like I haven't touched Final Fantasy since it stopped being turn based. It's bullshit when someone turns an established franchise into something completely different. When that happens you're just whoring out the name for shekels. Even if they do go with rtwp it's sounding like this game is going to be Baldur's Gate in name only anyway.

Elex

Arbiter
Baldur’s gate is only a name, the two games have deep differences.
They basically only shares some npc and the main character background.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom