Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are Owlcat's resident fanatics being paid to shill?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingmaker has robust character builder and some of quests were fun, combat was also not as bad for RTWP but what makes me to abandon it after a while every f... time is this kingdom building part if I wanted to RP medieval monarch the CK2 with mods is much more fun than Kingkmaker as strategy game, make the game about classic murder hobos with maybe some small castle/Temple/Druid Grove/Inn/Mage tower given as reward at the end and we are set Comrades. Medieval monarch did not spend their times building outhouses in every village they delegated power to their vassals and courtiers for such titivates they build maybe castles and prestigious cathedral but they spend most of their time touring the lands, hunting, f... wenches and and campaigning not being tied down to make boring administrative tasks.

You describe it like the management of Cead Nua in PoE was in way fun, it was as small and simple as it gets.

I do appreciate the kingdom management aspect of Kingmaker, I mean I agree that it was done pretty bad, but at least it tried, I did enjoy some of the effects "talked" about with your Advisors and the solutions they proposed dependent on their views. However The real question is: If we want to have something like this in a game, why aren't they doing it in a way that is actually fun?

clicking on a list of so called "upgrades" to simply increase some irrelevant passive stats and to have small changes to a map or two like in PoE is clearly not interesting, the same is true for selecting cards of random (and often repeating) tasks, even if that is a bit more involved, with the advisor system et all.

it does not have to be a perfectly simulated political simulator to be enjoyable but if all we can get is what we have seen in the past (NWN 2 was also extremely bad) then we should probably skip these systems altogether.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Kingmaker has robust character builder and some of quests were fun, combat was also not as bad for RTWP but what makes me to abandon it after a while every f... time is this kingdom building part if I wanted to RP medieval monarch the CK2 with mods is much more fun than Kingkmaker as strategy game, make the game about classic murder hobos with maybe some small castle/Temple/Druid Grove/Inn/Mage tower given as reward at the end and we are set Comrades. Medieval monarch did not spend their times building outhouses in every village they delegated power to their vassals and courtiers for such titivates they build maybe castles and prestigious cathedral but they spend most of their time touring the lands, hunting, f... wenches and and campaigning not being tied down to make boring administrative tasks.

You realize that you can just put kingdom management on auto, right? Effectively making it a non-issue, and actually focus on just playing the RPG part of the game, which is great. I did that, as I never liked the management part of the game.

I heard enough comments to the fact that if you do that it will screw you over

I never had any problems with that. I think it was a problem in earlier builds

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
People get into games quite hard out. I was into NWN 1 for a long time it was the only game I'd play.

Now I am into PF:K yes the spells are weaker, yes the game isn't as good as NWN, yes an NWN character could rape an entire party of PF:K characters to death and there is QUITE A BIT of SJWism in PF:K. But still it is fun.

I'll maybe play PF:K through 2-3 more times after my current playthrough.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Of course they are not getting paid in shekels. Maybe a few keys here and there. Most of them are autonomous and unaware they were instrumentalized.

Curb the thirst for conspiracies.

Or keep a vigilant mind, lest agents of decline seep into our ranks.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It might even be the case that
codex is going down the toilet
There was once a thread on how the Codex treats developers, and why they do or do not keep posting here. Roguey linked to the thread where Josh Sawyer first started posting. He was called a faggot and told to go away, childishly, like in a bad 4chan thread. Since then I've never really taken this idea that there used to be some great qualities to the codex that have since been lost seriously at all. Roguey expressed a similar sentiment I believe.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

I liked the kingdom management on a conceptual level but it needed a way faster and smoother interface.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just need you to know that you can tell people they're faggots and to go away without being childish. That thread was just cancer. I mean I love the codex but that was just the worst kind of shitposting.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's every Codexian's God given right to call a developer a faggot if they deem fit. Especially if the developer makes promises that don't deliver. Near as I can tell that makes every developer a faggot.

Akratus

Patron
It's hard to describe how shitty that thread was. Like I said, say whatever you feel like saying, but that shit. . it was just cringy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's every Codexian's God given right to call a developer a faggot if they deem fit. Especially if the developer makes promises that don't deliver. Near as I can tell that makes every developer a faggot.

I wouldn't call DU a god, more like a demiurge

Gregz

Arcane
I'm not one to accuse someone for being a shill / paid shill. But it does seem like he is shilling / paid shilling for Owlcat.
You should hit power button on monitor display! You should!

See, this is what I'm talking about. What kind of native English speaker forms sentences like this?

Roguey, can you apply your super-recognizer powers to Pink Eye's posts in order to identify unusual speech patterns?

Barring that, Pink Eye, would you mind providing a courtesy info dump of the deep cover profile you were assigned by the ex-KGB agent running Owlcat's PR dept? Even if it's just for our entertainment? I've got a morbid fascination with PSYOPs, and I'm curious how deep this particular rabbit hole goes.

VPNs are dirt cheap, and spoofing your location to 'Florida' is trivial these days. As far as the RIAA/MPAA knows, I live in Norway.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
developer-hosted forums always turn into hugbox echo chambers, being able to call developers a faggot is a good thing and leads to better games.
In general, anti - negative moderation tends to accommodate fanboys and drones into a situation where any feedback gets bombarded to oblivion. Take dev moderated subs on r/ for instance.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I always spoke that harsh critique is better for everyone in the end. Good to see some people are waking up to it. The edge is a gift. :edgy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom