Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Katana Kami is released:

Very early impressions seem okay, I guess.

Also Team Ladybug's Record of Lodoss War metroidvania is coming Early Access on March 13:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1203630/announcements/detail/1723127556386456585

Record of Lodoss War is now available as a 2D action game!
Coming to Steam Early Access on March 13th - Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth!

Attention Japanese Fantasy Fans,

Touhou Luna Nights developer Team Ladybug is proud to bring you the globally revered classic of Japanese fantasy said to have single-handedly launched the "elf-shaped ears" trope, Record of Lodoss War in 2D action game form!

Featuring "Deedlit" - beloved heroine and symbol of Record of Lodoss War - this latest installment fills in the gaps from the most recent novel in the series released in August 2019.

Deedlit awakens in a strange, unknown place. As she explores her surroundings, she encounters ""Ghim"" and more of her old friends. Where is this place? Receiving help from spirits including ""Sylph"" and ""Salamander"", Deedlit wanders this mysterious new world in search of answers...

e17194da7c71b250d50988a92ec38c7b2e6d098d.gif

The Wonderous Spirit of the Novel Captured in 2D Action Form!

The game features both the beautiful 2D pixel artwork for which Team Ladybug is known as well as a unique Record of Lodoss War-based game system.

6daae6f48730d019c8eb258d75543e5f9cad124a.gif

Harness the Power of the Spirits to Battle Through Each Stage

You'll need to take advantage of the powers possessed by the various spirits assisting Deedlit in her quest in order to make it through each stage.
When using Sylph, Deedlit becomes less vulnerable against wind and gains the ability to hover, allowing her to access certain areas. You must learn to use these powers wisely.

Master Myriad Types of Weaponry

Pick up and brandish the various weapons dropped by enemies, such as swords, knives, spears, and more. Learn to use each weapon according to its strengths: powerful swords are best for close-range melee attacks, while arrows can be used for ranged assaults, etc.
Of course, you can also sell these weapons off as well. Apart from attacking, there are also certain gimmicks which you'll need arrows to overcome. Part of the fun lies in cycling through the different weapons to find the one best suited for the situation.

30c9287326947e6171a99151d42ad4aa3b840240.gif

Coming to Steam Early Access on March 13th!

As with Touhou Luna Nights, in order to provide the best and most finely-tuned final product possible via user feedback and requests, we will be releasing the Early Access version of the game on March 13th.
We look forward to receiving your feedback and opinions!

#LodossDWL

3bd0b176505cb14f46ca78e644ba003d33fece2a.gif

It looks beautiful.

Jinn

Arcane
Holy shit. Had no idea about that Record of the Lodoss War metroidvania. It looks amazing!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what is that? never heard of hero must die. is it a side-scroller w/ turn-based battles?

Machocruz

Arcane
Katana Kami is released:

Very early impressions seem okay, I guess.

Also Team Ladybug's Record of Lodoss War metroidvania is coming Early Access on March 13:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1203630/announcements/detail/1723127556386456585

Record of Lodoss War is now available as a 2D action game!
Coming to Steam Early Access on March 13th - Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth!

Attention Japanese Fantasy Fans,

Touhou Luna Nights developer Team Ladybug is proud to bring you the globally revered classic of Japanese fantasy said to have single-handedly launched the "elf-shaped ears" trope, Record of Lodoss War in 2D action game form!

Featuring "Deedlit" - beloved heroine and symbol of Record of Lodoss War - this latest installment fills in the gaps from the most recent novel in the series released in August 2019.

Deedlit awakens in a strange, unknown place. As she explores her surroundings, she encounters ""Ghim"" and more of her old friends. Where is this place? Receiving help from spirits including ""Sylph"" and ""Salamander"", Deedlit wanders this mysterious new world in search of answers...

e17194da7c71b250d50988a92ec38c7b2e6d098d.gif

The Wonderous Spirit of the Novel Captured in 2D Action Form!

The game features both the beautiful 2D pixel artwork for which Team Ladybug is known as well as a unique Record of Lodoss War-based game system.

6daae6f48730d019c8eb258d75543e5f9cad124a.gif

Harness the Power of the Spirits to Battle Through Each Stage

You'll need to take advantage of the powers possessed by the various spirits assisting Deedlit in her quest in order to make it through each stage.
When using Sylph, Deedlit becomes less vulnerable against wind and gains the ability to hover, allowing her to access certain areas. You must learn to use these powers wisely.

Master Myriad Types of Weaponry

Pick up and brandish the various weapons dropped by enemies, such as swords, knives, spears, and more. Learn to use each weapon according to its strengths: powerful swords are best for close-range melee attacks, while arrows can be used for ranged assaults, etc.
Of course, you can also sell these weapons off as well. Apart from attacking, there are also certain gimmicks which you'll need arrows to overcome. Part of the fun lies in cycling through the different weapons to find the one best suited for the situation.

30c9287326947e6171a99151d42ad4aa3b840240.gif

Coming to Steam Early Access on March 13th!

As with Touhou Luna Nights, in order to provide the best and most finely-tuned final product possible via user feedback and requests, we will be releasing the Early Access version of the game on March 13th.
We look forward to receiving your feedback and opinions!

#LodossDWL

3bd0b176505cb14f46ca78e644ba003d33fece2a.gif

It looks beautiful.

One of my favorite anime of all time. Sold. Ashram unlockable character plz.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really news, but it's still interesting. Would they keep it true to the original's combat or make another action rpg?

Silentstorm

Learned
Final Fantasy seems to be turning into action RPG more and more so the latter, still, action RPG plus the job system should make for a fun game at least, because the job system and combat was what made FFV a good and fun game, the story was honestly kinda meh.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Final Fantasy seems to be turning into action RPG more and more so the latter, still, action RPG plus the job system should make for a fun game at least, because the job system and combat was what made FFV a good and fun game, the story was honestly kinda meh.
Jobs were definitely the best part about FFV, but I think rather than 'meh' I'd describe the stroy as 'batshit crazy'. The big bad is the minion of a tree, his evil plan is to fix the world that was torn apart, and the party consists of the son of an alien, a pirate tranny, the tranny's twin sister princess, and another, unrelated alien who is later replaced by his grandaughter. FFV's convoluted fuckery is second only to FF8's dementia.

Anyways, the premise of an action based take on FF5 is cool, but I can't imagine them doing it justice. The three worlds are way too big. There's too many jobs and abilities for those jobs; you'd need a budget on par with an MMO, and they're not going to shell out that much even for a remake of 7, let alone 5.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
FFV was the best FF, but it was all for hitting the sweet spot in implementing the job system, I don't think they could hit that again while changing the combat system too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Diablo-ish + strategy/management thing from Japanese indie, proud of their software rendering engine.

ss_aae22fa4889184bc29d4a5ebdc3a7e8e259514c4.600x338.jpg
ss_72a515b7881babcf94218cbbca91bad00f029a7a.600x338.jpg

The gameplay focuses on raising your soldiers' levels, strengthening their weapons, and balancing their unique traits and skills to create the strongest squad possible.
Lead your ultimate squad deeper into the realm of evil, or try it skills online against other players' squads and move your way up the online ranks.

[Story]
Two beings of the 《human world》 hold holy power:
《Shrine Maiden》holds “The Holy Power of Transition,
《Dragon Slayer》 holds “The Holy Power of Dragonslaying”.
These two souls resonate, and the soldiers of the 《human world》 assemble to
face the 《evil dragons of the God World》.

You must become the 《dragon slayer》 or 《shrine maiden》to defeat 《Lord Vaster Dragon》 and his monsters to free the 《God World》 from his terrible power.
Enter the belly of 《the dragon》 and release the 《spirit hoard》 of Gods and men that are trapped within.

[Focus on the Engine]

"Lixel 2," our in-house developed engine, uses CPU commands rather than GPU or hardware implementation to render each pixel individually.

These efforts have resulted in low-power, low-temperature graphics rendering.

Lixel 2 excels at control at the pixel-level, and at this level, rendering is much faster than in engines that rely on GPU or hardware.

*This game uses a legendary skill known as "vram[n]=color," handed down for generations, for all graphic rendering!

[Artistic Game With Handcrafted Details]

In addition to wonderful graphics, every facet of this game was designed and constructed with care to create gameplay with a feeling of "zero seconds loading time".
Players will enjoy a stress-free, immersive experience.

[Quest for Timeless Entertainment]

We believe that truly interesting games will be just as fun to play again 10 or 20 years later.
Our small team’s dream is to create an awesome game that will be loved forever.

Of course, gamers have personal preferences, but we hope that this game will become one of your all-time favorites.

[Q&A]
Q) What's the different between the Standard version and Special Pack?
The Standard version lets you play through the initial game to the end.
The Special Pack(DLC) opens up the post-clear Backside and Claws world.

Q) How do I change my soldier portraits to rare soldiers like the Sword Master?
When Force has risen to a certain level, you can change soldiers' names from the Details screen.
For Warriors, enter "Kensei", "Master", "Kenshin", or "God".
For Valkyries, enter "Konken", or "Spirial".
For Shooters, enter "Izanagi", or "God".
Their appearance will change! (This will not impact strength.)

Silentstorm

Learned
Just saw i got a notification from Steam telling me that Langrisser I and II are now available for purchase, different look from the mobile version, some changes to mechanics but it has all the content and story without gacha elements and it apparently adds more story branches and content to the games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just saw i got a notification from Steam telling me that Langrisser I and II are now available for purchase, different look from the mobile version, some changes to mechanics but it has all the content and story without gacha elements and it apparently adds more story branches and content to the games.
For that price, I can wait.

Jinn

Arcane

I'd consider buying it just to support the franchise expanding onto PC if you could do a full reversion to SNES or Genesis graphics. I fucking hate the way they did the character models, both on the battlefield and in combat scenes. Terrible stuff.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The mobile game is completely separate from the remake. Different developers as far as I can see, and probably different gameplay.

The remake also doesn't have a crossover with Yu Yu Hakusho (for some reason).
t8nOU1KO-RHCP6TkBU1RvGUR-XqDe1pDpJbiwtTcfLpeB2RlMWxbvRjGY_SB3msqc8k=w2560-h1243-rw

Ysaye

Arbiter

I'd consider buying it just to support the franchise expanding onto PC if you could do a full reversion to SNES or Genesis graphics. I fucking hate the way they did the character models, both on the battlefield and in combat scenes. Terrible stuff.

I thought they had done it so that you could switch back to the old models? Might give it a run and see....

Ysaye

Arbiter
Not really news, but it's still interesting. Would they keep it true to the original's combat or make another action rpg?

No modern AAA JRPG will be turn based. Its not SE market anymore

Did they not do okay with Dragon Quest XI? Will they not make another at some point with turn-based mechanics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom