Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Codex Year of the Donut
The 3d parts in Albion give me motion sickness :negative:
Sucks because I like the game, but I can't deal with the 3d parts for more than a couple minutes at a time without feeling sick.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got round to trying Desktop Dungeons.

It makes me feel like I've supposed to get an office job just so I can goof off and play this instead.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Finally got round to trying Desktop Dungeons.

It makes me feel like I've supposed to get an office job just so I can goof off and play this instead.
The original or the paid Steam version? They evolved the formula in that the original is more tight for short games, while the Steam one throws more curve balls at you and blocks progress on metagame.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The Steam version pakoito... although the original version looks better? Or rather, the sharp graphics look better than the awful scaling of the former's graphics on this 1440p monitor. The choices are horrendously blurry or painfully small — another reason I need a shitty office job to play it!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Heretic 2 has much funnier dismemberment than I remembered. Chop off a crossbow-wielding fish nigga's right arm, he proceeds to punch you with the other. Chop off his 'ead, he starts spasmatically shooting everything until he dies. Chop off his leg, he starts hopping on the remaining one like a tard :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heretic 2 has much funnier dismemberment than I remembered. Chop off a crossbow-wielding fish nigga's right arm, he proceeds to punch you with the other. Chop off his 'ead, he starts spasmatically shooting everything until he dies. Chop off his leg, he starts hopping on the remaining one like a tard :M

Does he say "'tis but a flesh wound" as well?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
In these days I am moving to and fro several japanese horror/adventure games: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS); Resident Evil RE (GC); Flowers, Sun and Rain (DS); Resident Evil Revelation (3DS); Another Code: R (Wii); Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS); Danganronpa (PSP). All of them emulated on a PC.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Playing Nightdive's Turok 2. Played it back in the day, never finished it.

The weapons are great but the levels are a tad too mazelike. Unlike Turok 1, some backtracking is required no matter what.

But the death animations are wonderful, enemies recoil and flinch from wounds, flop around and bleed everywhere. Its great. And this was an N64 game?

I did find this highly accurate map of the game's levels:

serveimage

Citizen

Nightdive PC port has simplified level design: some minor geometry simplification on most maps and MAJOR simlification of Lair of the Blind Ones maze, and most keys and objects are moved from secret places closer to the main route, exactly to remove backtracking. Best way to play Turok 1 is with the mod that restores original levels, sadly there no such mod for the second game yet

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Nightdive PC port has simplified level design: some minor geometry simplification on most maps and MAJOR simlification of Lair of the Blind Ones maze, and most keys and objects are moved from secret places closer to the main route, exactly to remove backtracking. Best way to play Turok 1 is with the mod that restores original levels, sadly there no such mod for the second game yet

Oh really? Didn't realize that, I thought it was a straight port w/ updated controls and such. Bummer.

flyingjohn

Arcane
DragonFangZ,a mystery dungeon like game.

Leveling up my enemy into a harder form with a staff and using a guarantee drop potion to get his equip-able skill has piqued my interest.Shame about the spotty translation.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Resident Evil 2 remake,I haven't played the original so I can't compare it to that but I liked it.Not really a horror game,mostly a zombie game with some survivor elements.Good graphics,story was just ok,gameplay was good enough to go for a the second playthrough with Claire.Still it's not a long game,you could go for more playthroughs and play the extra modes but how many takes can you go through the same corridors and solve the main puzzles?Recommended for a sale

overly excitable young man

Played a few hours Outward.
So much walking. So much fucking walking.
Everything is stretched out so you have to walk a minute from one point of interest to the next.

The few quests there are are boring fetch quests.
Feels like a poor mans Risen 3 and thats just a very sad thing to say.

Puukko

Arcane
Bumped up the difficulty in Blood to Well Done and yeah, this is how it's meant to be played. I'm making better use of all my weapons and ensuring I don't waste ammo.

All the destruction and terrain shifting they managed to pull off on the engine is pretty damn impressive too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finished Cat Quest 2. Was fun while it lasted, although it's basically brain dead difficulty (like the first part), if you died it's because you went to the toilet. But it kept me reasonably engaged (or addicted, it's really just a skinner box that tries it best to keep you clicking)

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Witcher 2.
Its...pretty popamole.
I mean, the graphics are nice and the combat is better than the first game's, but the UI is worse (seriously, why the fuck did they not put knowledge about monsters under bestiary?! That's where it should go! Not in the character screen under more attributes), there's fewer monster types, your choices don't seem to matter as much, the characters aren't as good, the skill tree is pretty minimal and alchemy is a lot worst. Like, you don't have potion bases, additional substances and you can't see how many potions you already have because the UI sucks. Also you have to meditate before taking potions which makes it needlessly inconvenient, especially when potions don't last as long now and the game really likes throwing you in situations where you aren't allowed to meditate.

The mutagen mechanic is stupid too. You can't reuse slots, which means that if you use anything that's not a greater mutagen you basically lose a slot. They should have either allowed you to use slots multiple times (destroying the previous mutagen in the process), or just had one grade of mutagen.
How do mutagens even work? How the fuck is Geralt able to inject a mutagen directly into his genes? In the first game it made more sense, because you had to drink a specific potion made from the parts of certain creatures, and the ability you get reflects that creature's abilities. In Witcher 2 its just weird.

And then there's the crafting. Now, whilst I do appreciate its inclusion and I like the idea of having traps in the game, I don't like how the recipes work. You see, some of the recipes require very specific monster parts, which would have been fine if the monsters weren't isolated to specific chapters.
Take the conflagration traps. For some reason they require Endrega Embryos, which are only found in Chapter I and in Chapter III, and in both cases its limited, especially if you finish the Endrega Contract in chapter I (because punishing the player for progress is good design, right?). Which means that you used up all of your embryos then no more traps for you. Which is annoying design.

At least you can meditate anywhere, which is nice.

Witcher 1 had its faults. You spent way too much time in swamps, it was pretty jank (although Witcher 2 is pretty jank as well, with teleporting NPCs and monsters phasing through trees. And the hitboxes. The fucking hitboxes) and the combat is dull and pretty easy (Witcher 2 improved on that at least), but at least you had a lot of content to work with, the UI wasn't complete crap and it actually felt like a CRPG.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Also, why are there no sex cards? I liked those, they were fun, they had personality. Instead in witcher 2 we're subjected to having to watch Geralt awkwardly shove up against a NPC who doesn't even look good most of the time because the facial models aren't great. What, did CD Projekt Red replace most of their staff with former Bioware employees?
You know, that would explain a lot...

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
DOTA2 Underlords recently released. Its one of those "auto-chess" games. You build an army and it fits on its own, you get more money, buy more units, etc. Turn based, very automated, you have to think once every 2 minutes or so. Perfect to play through Teamviewer from my office while pretending to work, so I can easily alt-tab away from it if the boss enters the room. I got 10 hours in already. Two thirds of that time not even looking at the game, since it plays itself.
But I don't think the whole genre has legs, seems like a mobile game thing, doubt it will catch on. Probably going back to Football Manager as my default pretending-to-work game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After my FEAR marathon I recently finished The Witcher 1, first replay after playing it when it came out. Game holds up surprisingly well, other than the clicky-clicky combat I always hated. In fact I might have liked it more this playthrough. The translation is better than I remembered (EE I guess) and the mood and setting is just so good. Swamp is still irritating, and the game goes on a bit long for how involved the combat is, but very enjoyable nonetheless. After a break I plan to do Witcher 2 again, third playthrough.

Now playing Pathfinder Kingmaker and my god, what incline. The kingdom stuff ain't my bag, and the time limits are silly IMO, but overall it's a great game and worth Infinity Engine successor.

Puukko

Arcane
Blood got... interesting towards the end of the base game there. First a brutal level with TWO Cheogs right at the start, half a dozen Sheobs across the level and by far the most enemies in a single level at 210+ total. Then Temple of Flatulence with lots of unique architecture on a surprisingly short level - I guess they realized most people wouldn't want to spend too much time in there with the constant farting. This time I just skipped the double Cheogs.

... And then they drop the ball with Chernobog being damn easy. I was prepared to do round trips due to his aura and he just died before even the first half lap. Seriously?

On a plus note, I really liked the heavy handed chanting and demonic atmosphere in the later levels.

Obviously, I still have the expansions left to play. I never did the expansions for Shadow Warrior either...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Iirc the expansion map packs for Blood are alright. As to Shadow Warrior, the first one, Twin Dragon, is absolute ass and should be avoided like the plague. Wanton Destruction is okay though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom