Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Boomer_007

Novice
Autopause mode in BG is not turn based, but still - great addition for people who have epileptic seizures during "omg it's so chaotic, fast, and non-satisfying, how I gonna live with this"-- rtwp combat. In POE2 Obsidian added turn base as alternative. So maybe Larian will also try to figure out some solution to satisfy different players. But in a same time I can't imagine BG game with grid-based battlefields like X-COM

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Autopause mode in BG is not turn based, but still - great addition for people who have epileptic seizures during "omg it's so chaotic, fast, and non-satisfying, how I gonna live with this"-- rtwp combat. In POE2 Obsidian added turn base as alternative. So maybe Larian will also try to figure out some solution to satisfy different players. But in a same time I can't imagine BG game with grid-based battlefields like X-COM
"I can't imagine a D&D game with D&D combat"

Boomer_007

Novice

No. I can't imagine grid based combat in a game that continues BG-series (with two rtwp combat, non-grid movement games before).

Codex Year of the Donut

No. I can't imagine grid based combat in a game that continues BG-series (with two rtwp combat, non-grid movement games before).
Dark alliance games already have very different combat.

Gyor

Savant
Dark alliance games already have very different combat.

I knew someone was going to bring this up. It's a stupid argument because they were spinoffs and clearly titled as such. Not to mention that they weren't even on the same platform as the main series.

At this point it's clear that Baldur's Gate 3 is a spin off and while it should be better titled to reflect that, marketing had other ideas and now it's time to move on.

Gyor

Savant
If it's turn based I'm going to be pissed enough that I won't touch it. Just like I haven't touched Final Fantasy since it stopped being turn based. It's bullshit when someone turns an established franchise into something completely different. When that happens you're just whoring out the name for shekels. Even if they do go with rtwp it's sounding like this game is going to be Baldur's Gate in name only anyway.

Honestly I couldn't give a shit about the name, they could call this game Turn Your Head And Cough 3 for all I care. I'm excited for a proper 5e D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms, preferably turn based.

Gyor

Savant
Can we talk about something other then Turn Based vs RTwP?

Like what races, subraces, backgrounds and subclasses will be in the game!

Thing most of 5e options will be in, excluding most setting specific races.

Gith being in I'm positive about, same with all the PHB races, Aasimar, Genasi, Lizardfolk and Goliaths I'm reasonable certain are in. Tabaxi, Tritons, Gobliniods, Orcs, Kobolds, Firbolgs, and Yuan Ti Purebloods have a fair chance to be in. Kenku's mimic ability I think would be too hard so I doubt they are in. Aacrokra are unlikely to be in, unless Larian thinks it can balance flight at low levels. Even though it's in the Eberron books, I think Shifters might be in as well, 4e added Shifters to FR right in the campaign setting guide, and a later dragon magazine article, so I give a low chance, but possible for Shifters to be in.

For subraces all the ones in the PHB will be in, Aasimar, Gith, and Genasi have subraces baked in, and I think the subraces from the SCAG and MTOF will be in.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt you will have more than basichumanoid races to play as. All other races might appear as NPC, but you will probably be restricted to the usual core humanoid races of Human, Half-human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Asimaar, Tieflings. Gnome. Maybe Yuan-ti and Genasi. Considering there is some theme with the sea maybe Triton?

Harthwain

Magister
I hope you realize that D&D is turn based brah, and that the only reason Baldur's Gate was in real time is because Bioware were always faggots, right?
DnD is turn-based is mostly due to technical reasons. I am saying this, because some people tend to use the argument that "PnP RPGs are turn-based, so every cRPG based on them also should be" when it comes to video games. I get the general sentiment behind it, but Baldur's Gate - as you yourself have noted - proves this isn't the iron rule that can't be bent or outright broken.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd be surprised if you can play something else than human, dwarf and elf tbh. As for classes, Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Cleric. That's it. I might be underestimating them, but I honestly wouldn't find that too surprising.

Ulysa

Scholar
Hi i finally made a user after stalking the forum for a while, just wanna said that I know is cool to hate but I'm so excited for tomorrow, I hope PAX doesn't cancel due virus. :C
And I slightly prefer RTWP for Baldur's but I won't explode if it's TB.
Fun forum, you guys know so much.

:bounce:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Isn't dragon born a available race for 5e? I don't see they remove it since D:OS 2 already has its version of dragonborn.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I'd be surprised if you can play something else than human, dwarf and elf tbh. As for classes, Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Cleric. That's it. I might be underestimating them, but I honestly wouldn't find that too surprising.
Jesus Christ, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is going for the four base classes, I honestly hope that, with a much bigger budget and with the fact that this is BALDUR'S GATE 3 (we are talking about the literal second coming of Christ), Larian will deliver a far more complete implementation of the ruleset.

Please don't ruin my hopes and dreams.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's absolutely no chance they won't have at least all the base classes and races. As I also said when the latest video released, I'm pretty sure we can see a half-orc PC/NPC btw

Elex

Arbiter
PHB races are:

Dragonborn.
Dwarf (2subraces)
Elf (3sub include drow)
Gnome (2sub)
Half elf
Half orc
Halfing (2sub)
Human
Human (variant)
Tiefling

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I can't wait until tomorrow. When all the people who don't even care about the game that much come into this thread and tell the actual fans who have been here the whole time what is and isn't a big deal.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
There's absolutely no chance they won't have at least all the base classes and races.
Why? How do you know this?
Because if we only get 4 classes then we will commit mass suicide, so it is not an option for our personal reality.

On a more serious note, this game is the flagship for the WotC-sponsored D&D videogames renaissance. It will represent for a long time (maybe forever) this edition's potential for videogames, they can't miss this chance. Moreover, in an interview Swen already talked about the Ranger class.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
On a more serious note, this game is the flagship for the WotC-sponsored D&D videogames renaissance. It will represent for a long time (maybe forever) this edition's potential for videogames, they can't miss this chance. Moreover, in an interview Swen already talked about the Ranger class.

I could see having limited classes during early access, or making some DLC, but yeah I agree it's the flagship and should represent the potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom