Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
wall of mist?
I got that right then. But invis there isn't mandatory. Player can just ignore mobs and heal all the way (or kill them for no exp on the dark path for prom quest).
LoL invisibility works perfectly,you could exit and recast it after every key. You just have to keep them in your inventory and use all three at once. Also it is a great place to grind stats. The middle one if i remember correctly(the one where you are spawned on a tower) has a bunch of barrels and the level resets them every time you exit/reenter. So you could get like 20 stat points every 2-3 minutes of wasted time. It is good for rounding up stats and maybe if you play solo char.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Has anyone gotten MT-32 emulation working with the ScummVM version of World of Xeen? The DOSbox version has rather glaring lag issues with the mouse. ScummVM runs it perfectly except for crappy default midi/soundblaster audio.

jackofshadows

Magister
LoL invisibility works perfectly,you could exit and recast it after every key. You just have to keep them in your inventory and use all three at once. Also it is a great place to grind stats
Well, that's actually interesting, but I had zero problems with this, honestly, and most of my runs (7-10 I guess overall) did manage to do all 3 keys whithin one non-GM invis spell or in case any fk-ups simply continue and finish regardless. As for stat grind - has no clue about it but at that point I was usually checking both top alchemist shops for proper black potions to buy instead of any barrel "farming".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL invisibility works perfectly,you could exit and recast it after every key. You just have to keep them in your inventory and use all three at once. Also it is a great place to grind stats
Well, that's actually interesting, but I had zero problems with this, honestly, and most of my runs (7-10 I guess overall) did manage to do all 3 keys whithin one non-GM invis spell or in case any fk-ups simply continue and finish regardless. As for stat grind - has no clue about it but at that point I was usually checking both top alchemist shops for proper black potions to buy instead of any barrel "farming".
It is not about trouble,it is just that it is a lot faster and you skill all the useless combat and wizards annoyance. Also you don't need gm invi.

jackofshadows

Magister
It is not about trouble,it is just that it is a lot faster and you skill all the useless combat and wizards annoyance. Also you don't need gm invi.
Skip, you mean? Sure, but I thought we're talking about necessity of using invis in the first place. As for GM, you can't even have it at that point because that instance used at both prom quests for mages (which is only class capable of getting it). I was just pointed out limited estimated length of invis there, that's all.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Has anyone gotten MT-32 emulation working with the ScummVM version of World of Xeen? The DOSbox version has rather glaring lag issues with the mouse. ScummVM runs it perfectly except for crappy default midi/soundblaster audio.
check this thread
https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=14617

Thanks. My old copy of M&M 4-5 from the GOG 6 pack didn't have the CD voice tracks so I had to track down one that did. I'm still a little underwhelmed by the music in this. I followed that Scummvm guide but maybe i've still got it misconfigured or something. Maybe my expectations of John Williams Timbre of Heaven levels of wavetable orchestrations are too high. It still sounds midi meh.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
WOX music was composed for a Sound Canvas (specifically SC-55). Of course the MT-32 version will sound more meh (though, as far as SC-to-MT conversions go, this is probably the best one around). The music is also identical between floppy and CD versions of WOX, as the CD tracks just had voices (pretty terrible one too, TBH I prefer playing the non-CD version, but YMMV).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
WOX music was composed for a Sound Canvas (specifically SC-55). Of course the MT-32 version will sound more meh (though, as far as SC-to-MT conversions go, this is probably the best one around). The music is also identical between floppy and CD versions of WOX, as the CD tracks just had voices (pretty terrible one too, TBH I prefer playing the non-CD version, but YMMV).

Ah, no wonder the music sounds shit. I'm thinking I could probably configure Scummvm to use an SC-55 soundfont with its built in Fluidsynth program if I want to get truly ambitious about it. The thing is the game is so long (150+ hours?) that I might as well have the optimum music for it. Yeah,, voice acting is not great. Was a bit shocked that the mayor in the starting town sounded just like Ralph Kramden. Town must be located in the same location but alternate plane in the multiverse as Brooklyn NY.

NZrJSxN.jpg

Sinatar

Arbiter

Ah, no wonder the music sounds shit. I'm thinking I could probably configure Scummvm to use an SC-55 soundfont with its built in Fluidsynth program if I want to get truly ambitious about it. The thing is the game is so long (150+ hours?) that I might as well have the optimum music for it. Yeah,, voice acting is not great. Was a bit shocked that the mayor in the starting town sounded just like Ralph Kramden. Town must be located in the same location but alternate plane in the multiverse as Brooklyn NY.

NZrJSxN.jpg

150 hours for world of xeen? Try 30.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I, for one, am very pleased with WoX CD voices. They are unique, most characters having something remarkable perfectly fitting the silly world of Xeen and adding to the fairytale-like atmosphere, as something out of Henson's Storyteller or Duvall's Theatre. I understand why some may not like them but I reckon there's charm in the amateurism, suitable to the cheerfulness of M&M.

Manisan

Novice
I'm trying play MM7 now with mods :\ But they changed the art style from menus and loading screens, but give me much better 3D graphics. Should I reinstall? I love so much the art style from this game :\ And I forget to say, I'm already finished MM8 XD was very fast, take me only one month, and think it took me 6 month to finish MM6, the diference is big.

87459748_2629250900516825_2947060327763673088_n.png

87981368_624207048373787_1548178965376532480_n.png

The graphic now:

87448532_562663984599412_3868263003812003840_n.png

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

NZrJSxN.jpg

150 hours for world of xeen? Try 30.

Really? Wow, I assumed with 2-Old-School-RPGs-in-1 playing time was in the hundreds. That's actually good though since 30 hours is just about my limit for fully enjoying a game these days.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I, for one, am very pleased with WoX CD voices. They are unique, most characters having something remarkable perfectly fitting the silly world of Xeen and adding to the fairytale-like atmosphere, as something out of Henson's Storyteller or Duvall's Theatre. I understand why some may not like them but I reckon there's charm in the amateurism, suitable to the cheerfulness of M&M.

I remember the very first time I played something voice acted. It was the MS-DOS CD-ROM version of King's Quest V. The voice acting was done by the developers (I think, though it could have been professionally aspiring amateur actors) and it mostly sounded like some daddy reading a bedtime story to his kid. Well, at least it had that "storybook" quality to it. There was one amusing voice actor on there who put on a screaming, lisping "Hello Frisco!" voice for the gay son of the tailor. Ah, those days of discovering something new and different in gaming!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm trying play MM7 now with mods :\ But they changed the art style from menus and loading screens, but give me much better 3D graphics. Should I reinstall? I love so much the art style from this game :\ And I forget to say, I'm already finished MM8 XD was very fast, take me only one month, and think it took me 6 month to finish MM6, the diference is big.

87459748_2629250900516825_2947060327763673088_n.png

87981368_624207048373787_1548178965376532480_n.png

The graphic now:

87448532_562663984599412_3868263003812003840_n.png

What the fuck is this ? A Chinese mod ?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, 6, 7 and 8 are ugly alright, everyone already found them ugly on release so 20 years later ...

You should review the mod once you're done, i don't think many people played this Chinese mod around here or even knew it existed.

Edit fantadomat retard yourself, they went from very nice 2D graphics in Isles of Terra and Xeen to fugly 3D that was already outdated when they released the game, not that i want "better" 3D graphics, i just want as less 3D as possible.

Last edited:

Manisan

Novice
English is not my native language, I'm still learning, but I already read the doc and I think the changes is jut in the graphics, but make me sad the artwork changes too :\ It's very immersive.

Manisan

Novice
I think MM6 still beautiful, because is very colorfull :\ but seven texture is bléeeeeh to me(vomit), in 8 is a little better than 7, but less than 6.

6-8 look like utter ass. At this point they have a certain nostalgic charm, but when they were first coming out I remember looking at screenshots and thinking “wtf is this?” Luckily the gameplay turned out to be rock fucking solid, but anyone claiming the graphics were good for the time or have aged well is either high as a fucking kite or a notoriously drunk Bulgarian shitposter.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The graphics were good enough. Crude in MM6 and more polished in MM8. MM9 OTOH was
rating_prosper.png
with some laughably badly drawn monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom