Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice finally on Steam and GOG

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Final battle is not that hard because at final battle you should alreadyu have infinite resurreection scrolls. Early fights are a lot harder. Once you get to true resurrection scrolls whole game becomes a cakewalk. I have more chances at dying at the first fight in the game than in the final batte.

This is wrong for two reasons
  • First, you "could" have "infinite" resurrection scrolls. I didn't scribe any scroll that wasn't meant to share a spell in KotC, didn't create any wand either, it's a matter of choice, do you want to play in god mode because you don't like good TB combat or you're terrible at it or do you enjoy the game ?
  • Secondly, the final optional battle can go wrong VERY fast, just one or two crits from the wrong foes and you're done because while you spend your time resurrecting, they don't take a Tea break.

Winning that battle (if you only use your characters spells) is a matter of prioritizing the targets; even if it's hard, all these motherfuckers are extremely dangerous, some skills and a good spoon of luck.

Waterd

Augur
it's a matter of choice, do you want to play in god mode because you don't like good TB combat or you're terrible at it or do you enjoy the game ?
This makes no sense, if you use this mindset there can't exist easy games, is just a matter of choice. A tactical combat too easy? well no its not that easy is just that you decided to use weapons, try fists! But very few people have this mindset.

A game is easy if given the ruleset a player trying to complete the goal has an easy or a hard time comming up with the a good EV strategy or tactic.

I'm not going ot argue the second point because no matter if i adescribe 20 different tactics you will just say "well how use haste/Deyhdrate/Stone wall/clerics/attack button etc etc etc, you want to play god mode because you don't like tb combat ?"

However several of the early fights if you use the rulesets of the game (don't cheat/hack), are actually harder to not "lose".

Btw on the res scrolls, even if you dont scribe scrolls, merchants sell res scrolls.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
Fights that are harder imo spoilers
1.Water elementals if you go there level 1, which seems the natural progression to me. Ive learned quickly to avoid them until level 2.
2. The First fight vs the orcs at level 1, I've have had more characters death here than in any other part of the game.
3. Blue dragon boss in the undercave passage, mostly because you have to fight this after several fights without rest.
4. Lich fight at end the gamet is insane, often you cant even move and you are dead. I find anticlimatic to have the hardest fight in such random location.
5 Fire king you can have all you want but you are sorrounded by insane firepower, you can die before you have any decision.
6. Spiders+ Skeletons in the cave.
7 Spider queen , depends on your look the natural progression of the game is to fight at level 4. And at level 4 this fight is insane hell. I think the way KOTC won the reputation as a harsh game is this fight alone, because the natural thing is to face it at level 4. If you grind however in another place to level 5, the fight is hard but totally reasonable.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Every fight is hard if you take the straight road and avoid random encounters.

By the way, you forgot some
  • The "Vrook ?" at the bottom of the spider cave (you really have to know what you're doing to win this fight early on, nuking him from outside helps)
  • The "vermin ?" in the starting location kitchen (main floor), quite tough if they surprise your level 1 team.
  • All of the lizards and serpents in Corinth if it's your first objective, specially since they all ambush you.
  • Even the bandits ambush in Corinth can be lethal if you didn't had any random encounter fight on the way.
  • The ambush when exiting the Orc Stockade is also one of the most infamous fight from KotC
  • Etc.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's incline as far as content goes, but not on the visual style front. What happened to KotC1 style pixel art and Ultima like animations? I mean look at this shit

How do you get from this

ss_c0158af526f8be2d754c0084c3fae048d6890e1e.1920x1080.jpg

to this (early screenshot)

hqdefault.jpg

to this

16691_500.jpg

It literally looks like a flash game you play in your browser. This guy is a lunatic

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Fucking right. Angband ANSI graphics with the best D&D 3.5 ruleset and toolset to build modules would be fucking epic.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Eh. I agree that vidya games should be (predominantly) abstractions but that's going too far imo. Dude should just have added extra classes/races/spells into the KoTC engine, nothing more.

It's incline as far as content goes, but not on the visual style front. What happened to KotC1 style pixel art and Ultima like animations? I mean look at this shit

How do you get from this

ss_c0158af526f8be2d754c0084c3fae048d6890e1e.1920x1080.jpg

to this (early screenshot)

hqdefault.jpg

to this

16691_500.jpg

It literally looks like a flash game you play in your browser. This guy is a lunatic

Pierre's new game looks eerily similar to those memorable times when I play fucking marbles on my shitter floor

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The classes in the first game aren't really classes, they are more like archetypes. You can spec them differently. The new game does look kinda fugly but think of it as tokens representing your characters, more like a board game. It doesn't look as nice I agree but it is clean and accurate so you can easily see what is going on once you get used to it. The reason he did it is so he can develop a lot more content, areas, enemies, etc, because he isn't spending so much time making those awkward semi 3d assets.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
For those who haven't played AD&D board games such as Ravenloft or Wrath of Ashardalon, the visual style Pierre is going for mimics those pretty closely visually (tokens and rooms) and mechanically in how encounters and traps are revealed to the player.

Dungeons-Dragons-Wrath-of-Ashardalon-Board-Game-Gameplay.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Eh. I agree that vidya games should be (predominantly) abstractions but that's going too far imo. Dude should just have added extra classes/races/spells into the KoTC engine, nothing more.

He made the sequel with the budget he had and if you put your wallet where your mouth is, you'll get a chance to help, the kickstarter will fix that if the sprites goal is reached.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's no reason all the classes would have required their own artwork. It's not like that was the case for KotC to begin with. And while I'm no graphics whore, the new look is pretty awful. It's too busy and muddy- everything has too much detail and very little of the detail is unique enough to be distinguished at a glance. Brogue looks better and it IS fucking ASCII. Animations don't need to be elaborate affairs either- Rimworld has animations. They're simple, but enough to show whether someone is eating, puking, repairing or attacking. A similar look would do just fine for this sort of game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Rimworld dev has several staff, this is just one guy. I don't mind the graphics, it just looks like an animated board game. I also think you get used to it the more you look at it.

Combat3.jpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Too many threads.

Any tips for a sandpit fight in the Mountainpass? My lvl9 Wizard with 28 hp (fml) dies in the first round, and before my 2 warriors and the cleric can get out of the sand, one of them is dead and the others get grappled and fucked to death.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
2 warriors is probably your mistake.
28hp for your wizard ? As there's no pre-buffing in KotC, you should get a +6 CON belt for your wizard.

Isn't lvl 9 a bit early for the mountain pass ?
I'm not sure i remember that part quite right but i think there's two ways to get there, either falling in or taking another way which makes the fight much easier.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
2 warriors is probably your mistake.
I've heard 2 mages are op, didn't want to be able to cheese the game. It works pretty well most of the time.
28hp for your wizard ? As there's no pre-buffing in KotC, you should get a +6 CON belt for your wizard.
And it's with one toughness feat. He has 10 con (elf penalty) and since I'd re-rolled my stats I chose to not get max hp per lvl. Plenty of 1 hp/ lvl and only one 4hp/lvl. 16 con will give me a bonus of +2, right?
Isn't lvl 9 a bit early for the mountain pass ?
I've cleared the Orc Fort and the Spider Cave. The journal tells me to go through the pass, but I can mess around with the eastern locations I guess.

The game is plenty of fun. Not perfect, but close to it. I hope KotC2 will deviler.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom