Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

here is a piece of music for the disappointed BG fans. :)
take deep breaths, close your eyes and listen.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am also very happy to not see a bullshit armor bar :lol:

*People playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker: The game is 100 times better with turn-based mod
*People seeing BG3 is actually turn-based: WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS THIS TURN-BASED

What awesome news, I was actually not expecting it to be so D:OSish :D

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Really annoyed they're sticking with the D:OS2 dialogue style it just falls so flat when reading. Yes I know we're supposed to insert our own dialogue in there to "personalize" it but it still comes off lazy to me.

We'll see with the demo if they've bastardized the mechanics but at least I'm optimistic on that front since no D:OS2 levels of HP bloat or phys / mag armor.

I think BG3 will be fun to play but I've got more hope for Solasta to deliver a better D&D adventure especially since its not set in the Forgotten Realms.

Don't get me wrong I like the realms but especially in Zehir but we're always going to the sword coast or icewind dale.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Unless Larian got new writers for this, the writing will undoubtedly be rubbish trying to balance silly nonsense and grim dark bullshit and fail miserably just like DOS2.

So even if you don't completely hate the look there are other things to hate.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really annoyed they're sticking with the D:OS2 dialogue style it just falls so flat when reading. Yes I know we're supposed to insert our own dialogue in there to "personalize" it but it still comes off lazy to me.

We'll see with the demo if they've bastardized the mechanics but at least I'm optimistic on that front since no D:OS2 levels of HP bloat or phys / mag armor.

I think BG3 will be fun to play but I've got more hope for Solasta to deliver a better D&D adventure especially since its not set in the Forgotten Realms.

Don't get me wrong I like the realms but especially in Zehir but we're always going to the sword coast or icewind dale.

Judging by the damage in the combat log and the HP levels, it looks like they are using 5e stats/mechanics.

To hit/accuracy looks different though, you should never have more than 95% chance to hit due to crit fails. Though I suppose that 97% might include advantage (roll twice, take better result).

Edit: Not sure where I got 97% from, the screenshot I was thinking of says 94%. Makes more sense, though it still seems quite high.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
But even more things to love. It's basically the perfect recipe: D:OS without all the retarded systems from Larian but with DnD ruleset. For me it was exactly what I wished for all along and to be honest I'm absolutely surprised we are actually getting that!
I hope they don't introduce too much "innovative" ideas in the ruleset

*Does anyone see the turn order? I can't get it so far. Jesus don't fuck initiative again please

CoronerZg

Scholar
Man, just look at those portraits :lol:
For some reason this song started playing in my head :eek:

qq.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But even more things to love. It's basically the perfect recipe: D:OS without all the retarded systems from Larian but with DnD ruleset. For me it was exactly what I wished for all along and to be honest I'm absolutely surprised we are actually getting that!

The thing I'm looking most forward to is no energy shield style armour, and presumably a proper initiative system rather than the dumb round robin one used in DOS2.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

The thing I'm looking most forward to is no energy shield style armour, and presumably a proper initiative system rather than the dumb round robin one used in DOS2.
I'm trying to understand the initiative system from the pics but can't so far *sweating*

250pplz they couldn't draw some nice portraits. they tried to emulate bg2 look with head and shoulders + sky but it looks like ass.
ui, well I at least appreciate it's a solid bar at the bottom, similar to iwd2/pilarz.

we will be able to fuck a githyanki ima calling it.

the thing which stands outs to me is how I already cringe while looking at dialogue. sure many think bio gaydar writing is gay, but I think Larian will break the ceiling here, like they did in DOS2.
I can see the writing is going to be god awful. How can they hire so many people and spend this much money and have it be so bad? Its like they have a certain shit filter they just apply over their writing. Its sort of incredible.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I take back everything I said about it being an action game. This is truly surprising, but I can't help but have the feeling this will be Larian's swansong. There is almost no way they are going to make back their budget with a TB RPG. Unless this is the best possible timeline and the normies suddenly started liking that. I guess the nu-xcoms are a precedent, but still. And outside of real-time proponents (who are wrong) nobody is going to be butthurt by the choice of combat system. That is incline. But my previous statement still stands:
There is no possible timeline in which Larian won't screw this up in some major way. Outside of random items which will definitely be in, their 7-man cuck squad don't have the writing chops to do what must be done. Even if by some unbelievable miracle this thing turns out to be TB, there are so many other things they'll get wrong that it won't really matter (see Numanuma).

As for the writing, they should already know the 7-man cuck squad doesn't work, Swen said as much in a talk. Why would they continue doing that?

Bara

Arcane
Judging by the damage in the combat log and the HP levels, it looks like they are using 5e stats/mechanics.

To hit/accuracy looks different though, you should never have more than 95% chance to hit due to crit fails. Though I suppose that 97% might include advantage (roll twice, take better result).

If I recall right they said something about messing with dice rolls complaining you miss too much in regular DnD. Which is one of the things that still has me worried about this game.

Though I'll eat and accept that evil if its true if we at least get everything else true to regular DnD. And all the class and build options released so far.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Erm...I don't think they actually have drawn portraits but rather generated ones from the character models.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
People actually thought that this was going to be anything more than just a reskinned D:OS 3.
People actually thought that there is no need for 350! people only to reskin D:OS 2 with DAO's camera for dialogues!

They need 350 people because the game is very complex and with lots of 3D assets that will portray a vibrant and realistic world where every corner is unique and visually pleasing, peppered with towns and villages that have their own their unique assets and map locations.

Also the world map will be a throwback to the BG1 map style, where now it will be a huge unified landmass that you can explore, reaching remote ancient places off the beaten path.

The days of corridor like/theme park style maps with gated pathways are gone. Exploration and freedom of character movement is one of the pillars of this game. You will be able to attack the story from different unique angles, each player having a completely different gaming experience. Choices made down to using a particular skill, killing a child at the outskirts of a village or picking an obscure dialogue choice will generate important ripples throughout the gameplay that are very difficult to emulate and test. That's why a big part of those 350 individuals are testers that work day and night so that the memory leak fiasco of Divinity 2 launch bug that prevented players to play the game, will not repeat.

Another part of the 350 team is composed of people that brainstorm interesting items, handplace them in this GIGANTIC world, emulate their impact upon gameplay at different difficulties scenarios for a near perfect balance.
Also there is a dedicated team that infuses the game with unique mechanics never seen before in an RPG, mechanics that will put to shame any other past attempts made in the industry until now, that will make the player question his own reality.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom